Going off Amiodarone - Wish me luck

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm approaching the 3 month mark post-surgery, or about 9 or 10 wks since I had the a-fib episodes that caused them to put me on Amiodarone. I got approval today from my cardiologist to go ahead and stop it cold-turkey. I'm a little worried to go off it - afraid the afib might come back. But I'm gonna put my big boy pants on and try it. He said if the afib comes back, he'll put me on something less toxic for the long-run (amio was just a short-term solution).

Even though he said I could stop it today, I think I'm going to wait until I meet with my GP next week before stopping it. Going off it will likely drop my INR, so I want to come up with a plan first that my GP agrees with - probably a small increase in Warfarin and go back to testing twice a week.

It'll be great to be down to just 2 pills (Warfarin and a baby aspirin). Just hope the afib doesn't come back...

Although I'd want to be off that stuff as soon as possible, I think your plan is good. Yes, you may see some effect on INR, perhaps even a large effect, but I'm not sure I would do anything in that regard until you see what happens, say, by doing an INR 5 days after stopping the amiodarone. Did you have much change in warfarin dose after starting amiodarone? The effect can be dramatic (few days) or slow (a month), but it can be substantial. If you did have a measurable change after starting amiodarone, then I would be more careful.

You've done so well to date, I expect you to do well after stopping the amiodarone. Congrats on the progress.:thumbup:

You'll probably be fine, if not either go back to doc or ER, but you know that. :eek: Your INR may not drop much until about a month or two later.

Good luck! I had atrial fib 4 times after my surgery and I was a little 'ansie' about stopping the medications that proved helpful in keeping me out of the hospital for each of those 4 times. but it all worked out as my heart had healed enough at that point to allow stopping the meds. I understand the feeling.
I also think you are doing the right thing in being proactive in the coumadin and checking INR often. I always tell patients that they have only one patient to take care of. Doctors are doing so much for so many that things can get lost in the shuffle, so you continue to take care of yourself.

I'm approaching the 3 month mark post-surgery, or about 9 or 10 wks since I had the a-fib episodes that caused them to put me on Amiodarone. I got approval today from my cardiologist to go ahead and stop it cold-turkey. I'm a little worried to go off it - afraid the afib might come back. But I'm gonna put my big boy pants on and try it. He said if the afib comes back, he'll put me on something less toxic for the long-run (amio was just a short-term solution).

Even though he said I could stop it today, I think I'm going to wait until I meet with my GP next week before stopping it. Going off it will likely drop my INR, so I want to come up with a plan first that my GP agrees with - probably a small increase in Warfarin and go back to testing twice a week.

It'll be great to be down to just 2 pills (Warfarin and a baby aspirin). Just hope the afib doesn't come back...

So how are you now?
I've been on Amiodarone 200 mg once daily for 1 month. I took last pill yesterday. I understand this drug stays in your system weeks/months after you stop taking it so I just wondered how you are doing now?

Good luck Andy,

I'm curious to know how it goes with you and the a-fib. I'm at my 3 week anniversary today and have had a-fib twice. After an cardioversion the first time didn't last now I'm on Multaq for 3 months and hope to be be free and clear after that. Stress test this Thurs and cardio rehab next week. I'm so excited to be moving forward.

Doug

So far so good. Have been off Amiodarone for about 3 wks or so and while the irregular beats might have increased slightly since then, they've been relatively minor. I know it takes weeks or months to totally get out of your system, but my GP seems to think if I was going to have problems I would have been seeing them by now. I think what stays in your system for weeks/months is just trace amounts.

I'm way past pre-surgery levels! I'm not in cardio rehab anymore (graduated a few weeks ago) but am working out on my own at the gym now. I'm running 25 min now on the treadmill at a low speed (3.9 mph) over the course of a half hour (3 min. walk to warm up, run for 17 min., walk for 2, run for 8). Before surgery, and for the last couple years before that, I couldn't run for 2 min on the treadmill. So I'm WAY better off than I was before surgery. I've been building up slowly, and am about ready to try running for the whole half hour without a walk break in the middle. Trying to get in shape enough to play basketball this fall. How are you doing (I can't remember how many wks ago you had surgery)?

So far so good. Have been off Amiodarone for about 3 wks or so and while the irregular beats might have increased slightly since then, they've been relatively minor. I know it takes weeks or months to totally get out of your system, but my GP seems to think if I was going to have problems I would have been seeing them by now. I think what stays in your system for weeks/months is just trace amounts.

Just curious Andy, is your irregular beat like a PVC (skipped beat) or short spells of irregular beats?

Some of each, but the short spells of irregular beats have been very short-lived, and I've only had a couple of those. For the most part, it's just regular old PVCs (one skipped beat). Don't remember when I had the last one (maybe 2 or 3 days ago) so I think it's getting better again. Are you having something similar?

Andy, I'm 3 weeks post AVR yesterday. I was asymptomatic before surgery and could work hard walking or on the elliptical pre-surgery so I was wondering how long till I get back to that point. Glad to learn you're feeling so good already and I'm encouraged that I'll be feeling good like you soon. I start cardio rehab next week. Had some a-fib this past week that seemed to set me back a week but am doing better now that we've got the a-fib under control. I pushed too hard yesterday though and had a strong dizzy spell afterwords yesterday. It lasted about 3 mins and if I didn't sit down I would have fallen down. I think my heart rate and blood pressure were too low from the meds. (Multaq and metoprolol)

I'm envious about your state of recovery. Feeling strong, exercising and 2 pills per day. That will be me soon though!

Doug

Thanks for giving me hope that I too may get off sotalol one day and not have a-fib. I had it the other day and now on Sotalol I have tons of palps at night or when I'm trying to relax. I hate the Sotalol, my heart rate is pretty low because of it and my cardiologist believes this new low heart rate has increased my PVCs. So I'm looking forward to getting off of this and being able to sleep without the thumps at night.

Latest posts

Back