Go today for my 1st visit with the Surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmoriarty

I go this morning for my first appointment with the Heart Surgeon to select what valve would be best for me.

I havent been able to sleep for the last week since I found out I am facing surgery.

I know its where I am very anxious about what is going to happen. I do however get worn out around 2pm everyday and I lay down, but its not a restful sleep.

I am thinking of trying to ask for something for my aniexty but not sure what I should ask for right now?

I have tried all the herbal stuff already (sleeptime tea, warm baths, not watching tv in the bedroom, etc)

Any suggestions?

I go this morning for my first appointment with the Heart Surgeon to select what valve would be best for me.

I havent been able to sleep for the last week since I found out I am facing surgery.

I know its where I am very anxious about what is going to happen. I do however get worn out around 2pm everyday and I lay down, but its not a restful sleep.

I am thinking of trying to ask for something for my aniexty but not sure what I should ask for right now?

I have tried all the herbal stuff already (sleeptime tea, warm baths, not watching tv in the bedroom, etc)

Any suggestions?

I think your doctor will know what to prescribe, if you mention your inability to sleep and the anxiety you feel. I hope you feel better after you meet with the surgeon.

hiya val,am sure you will feel better when you have seen the surgeon,i found the worst part was when i was told that i needed an op,after that it got steadily better for me,keep in touch and let us know how you got on ok.....neil

Thanks everyone! When I was losing my son 10 years ago, the only thing seemed to be xanax, and even the smallest dose cut in half would make me loopey. So wasnt sure if there was new medicine as well that will take the edge off.

Also I have signed myself up to start seeing a therapist soon. I have been through ALOT in my life and never have really went to one, so thought maybe it would make me feel better to talk to someone about it.

Went to the surgeon and I LOVE HIM. He is Awesome! He has performed over 70 Ross Procedures....0 deaths...and only 4 repairs and one was done because he didnt like the way it looked after he was finished. He sat for over a hour explaining everything to me, answering all my questions and calming my fears.

My surgery is set for Nov. 13 (yes I know Friday 13th) at 7am at St. Marys Medical Center in Knoxville, TN

Use all your resources, Valerie

Use all your resources, Valerie

Valerie, the basic lessons one learns here in VR are that you are not alone and that there are things you can do to improve your recovery. When I learned that I needed surgery, and soon, I became very anxious. My GP experessed her concern about depression and my growing anxiety and recommended I begin taking an antidepressant. There are any number available and your doctor can probably suggest something with fewer side effects. Your outlook with respect to surgery and your recovery is important to your healing. I would say use every tool you can find including medication and information. The book I found helpful is titled: Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression. It contains several discussions about things you can do yourself. One of those is talking about the things that trouble you and there is no better place to do that than here at VR where there are hundreds of people who understand just what you may be feeling. The other thing "Coping with Heart Surgery" recommends is learning as much about your heart problem, your surgery and recovery as possible. These things you can also begin to do here. Your surgeon's office should also have someone you can talk with who can answer the questions that come up as you wait.

I am now 3 weeks past surgery and I am surprised each day at how much better I feel. You will, too.

Valerie, A belated warm welcome to the forum.:) I did catch one of your earlier posts but don't believe I got around to welcoming you. Sorry that you are dealing with this but so glad that you have found us. You have been through quite a lot for someone so young. I think it is a great idea that you speak with a therapist (in addition to the "therapy" that you will get here too!;)). And I'm also so glad that you are so happy with your surgeon. That really is so important. David keeps saying that he was so calm going into the surgery because he was so confident in his surgeon. Hopefully you will be a little less anxious now too. Did he prescribe anything for you to help with the anxiety/sleeplessness? Did you make a decision on a valve? David went with the On-X and he is very happy with his choice. And the 13th is a lucky number in our house. Our twins were born on the 13th of October (yesterday was their 15th birthday) and whenever it falls on a Friday it is extra special ;)! I agree with Mentu, take this next month to learn as much as you can so you can be prepared not only for the surgery but for the recovery too. I found this site just 10 days before David's surgery and learned so much in that short time and it really made a difference in how we both dealt with the surgery and his recovery. Use this time before your surgery (and it will go very quickly) to ask as many questions as you can think of. This is a very caring and knowledgeable group and there will always be someone who has an answer to anything that you may ask. Hoping that you find that sense of peace and calm as you await your surgery.

Nadine :)

P.S. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your beautiful family (including your little angel in heaven, Isaac). Thanks for sharing!

I am really happy with my surgeon. For him to take that much time to answer even the smallest questions that I had was awesome. I had seen so many doctors with my late husband and myself, that good bedside manners is awesome. They gave me a RX for the lowest form of xanax 0.5, which I cut in half and already took one when I got home and made me feel much better. I feel more relieved now that I met with him and he gave me some more sites to look at as well. They said if I have more questions to call and they will answer them.

I decided to go with the Ross Procedure. My surgeon has done 72, 0 deaths, 4 repairs. So I think that is a excellent outcome on things. He has been performing them since 2007. He is also the only one in our area that does them.

Im loving this site and everyones help. Still learning how to navigate it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Anxiety is normal, if you were not anxious I would be worried about you:) ... Ativan and Valium are often given and work well ... hoping you can relax ... the trip up the mountain is much harder than the trip over .... wishing you the best...

I want to thank you all...and I cant say it enough! this site has been wonders on my aniexty level. Some parts are scary and others are just success on what I look forward to being as well.

Got a few questions?

Do they do a Swan-Ganz in your neck during valve replacement to monitor pressures? ( I had one with my daughter when they thought they would have to replace it then)

What type of medicine is usually given to knock you out?
Do they give you medicine to ease your aniexty so they can put these lines in?
(Yes Im scared of needles, lol)

These are just some questions I forgot to ask today.

Also do they shave you if you are female and if so where?

They also gave me lopressor to start taking daily...My question is how does this make you feel? My BP is already quite low.... 84/62 but my pulse stays around 100

Last edited:
I want to thank you all...and I cant say it enough! this site has been wonders on my aniexty level. Some parts are scary and others are just success on what I look forward to being as well.

Got a few questions?

Do they do a Swan-Ganz in your neck during valve replacement to monitor pressures? ( I had one with my daughter when they thought they would have to replace it then) Yes

What type of medicine is usually given to knock you out? Don't know, but it's GOOD stuff! I was knocked out in 2 seconds!
Do they give you medicine to ease your aniexty so they can put these lines in? (They should. Tell them you want it, and don't take no for an answer.)
(Yes Im scared of needles, lol)

These are just some questions I forgot to ask today.

Also do they shave you if you are female and if so where? (shoulders to mid-thigh if I remember correctly)
They also gave me lopressor to start taking daily...My question is how does this make you feel? My BP is already quite low.... 84/62 but my pulse stays around 100

My answers are in red. Don't know the answer to your last question.:)

Lucky Ducky..!!

Lucky Ducky..!!

Hi Valerie and welcome...love your name.

Yep, you're having your Ross procedure on my birthday and I didn't realize it was on Friday the 13th..:D It's also Hensylee's birthday so not a chance that we will not be thinking of you that day.

Meanwhile, gather your questions and ask away.. Oh, I don't remember being shaved at all, but that was 10 years ago and I could have forgotten. Duffey has answered your other questions for now..

mornin, Val. lovely to have you. yep, on Janie and my birthday! now that, alone, is a good sign. we will celebrate our birthdays by spending it with you in thought. not to worry about it being on Friday 13th cause that's going to be a wonderful day for entry into a whole new and lovely world. wishing you all the very best as you approach the day. yes, you might want a settler pill while you march on. Blessins.........

I just wanted to say ALOT of you last set of questions really depends on the hospital and surgeon and what THEY do. For example, Justin has had 7 heart surgeries and never had neck lines, also the amount of shaving varies on the center. again Justin was not shaved completely to his thighs for any of his surgeries, his chest was shaved (for the surgeries he was old enough to have chest hair :) ) So really if you want clear answers instead of guessing what will happen to you, I'd call whoever they told you to call for any questions.

PS, I'm not argueing with you, but I thought they did Ross's at Vanderbuilt

Hi Valerie,
Welcome to the forum and lots of luck with your surgery. Glad they gave you xanex, it does take off the edge. I don't remember much about my surgery-those drugs before and after are really good, or my memory is shot :). I do know that liking and being very comfortable with my surgeon and his great team made it that much easier, and by the time the day of the surgery came I was in a peacful state of mind.
Again, welcome, wishing you an uneventful surgery....

Linda

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am a very well structured person. So I have a little OCD and have to make sure that everything and every aspect is covered as far as my home and kids.

Thanks for hearing me through all of these rants the last few weeks. I got less than a week till Im over the mountain.

Latest posts

Back