Getting past denial.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wonderring how you found that site, it seems odd, that when you search valves it takes you to the "Heart valve Education Center" that is just a page touting the benfits of the ON-X valve
I check the "about us", but it seems TO ME to be mainly a marketing site,

Lyn - it was a top answer when I googled "on-x valve." Yes, it's totally a marketing site! I'm not gullible about that kind of thing. :cool: The upper right corner clearly says the page is sponsored by On-X Heart Valves.

Nupur - it looks like they are doing a clinical study now on whether lower doses of Coumadin could be used with the valve. Not something I would personally want to join... I guess I'm selfish that way.

I am really biting my tongue trying NOT to respond to this thread in a particular way ...

So instead ...

Thank you Bill B and Lyn for all of your past wise contributions to these forums and in particular to this thread. Both of you continue to impress with your WISDOM, which to me is KNOWLEDGE/INTELLECT combined with knowing HOW, WHEN and WHY it should be displayed. Just a personal opinion...

Lyn, I also had a deep sternum infection as a result of AVR on 9/18 of this year. Quite an experience...

Best regards to all--

Bill

I'm so glad to hear from you, I've wonderred how you were doing since that last post. as you can imagine I really feel for others that have the 'added fun" of sternal infections.

Bill,

You seem to ASSUME that (ALL?) Surgeons are fully knowledgeable about ALL Valves and Procedures and will make the Best Choice for the Patient even though they have only known this patient for an hour, more or less.

After meeting / interviewing several Surgeons and reading comments here on VR.com about Surgeons Valve preferences, it became apparent that MANY had LITTLE knowledge of the On-X Valve Design and advancements.

It was also apparent that Many Surgeons Limit their Valve offerings to one or two Mechanical Valves and one or two Tissue Valves. Many Surgeons do NOT perform the Ross Procedure or offer Homografts. It is also known that Hospitals often put their Valve Business up for "competitive bid" and select 2 valves from each category. (I believe CC and Mayo are 2 examples).

Some of our members reported that the surgeons they asked about On-X dismissed it as "Too New, Too Untried" inspite of the fact that it was introduced to the World Market in 1996 and there are over 70,000 On-X Valves in place in 64 countries. It was approved by the FDA in 2001 for use in the USA. I guess those skeptical Surgeons are waiting to see the 20 year Studies before they will consider using this "New Technology". I wonder how many are offering the New and Improved Porcine Tissue Valves that have way less 'time in use'.

I have also found that Cardiologists are even LESS knowledgeable about the On-X Valve. My own Cardio told me he has NOT reviewed the literature on On-X and he knows of my interest in these valves.

As you probably know, I consider the On-X to be the most technologically advanced Mechanical Valve Design on the Market today. This opinion seems to be shared by Dr. Puskas at Emory University, the sponsors of the NO / LOW Anticoagulation Studies, and Dr. Pettersson at Cleveland Clinic.

On-X valves are the 4th? Major Valve created by Jack Bokros, Ph.D. who developed the Pyrolytic Carbon used in the Leaflets of all the Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valves. You may dismiss the studies and data, but you cannot disagree that it is the ONLY valve with the latest (improved) Pyrolytic Carbon Leaflets that are smoother and stronger than the earlier designs, it is the ONLY valve where the leaflets open a full 90 degrees (to reduce turbulence to levels seen only in tissue valves), and it is the ONLY valve with built in barriers to Pannus Tissue Growth.

In case you don't know, Jack Bokros consulted with St. Jude on the design of their original Bi-Leaflet Valve which has evolved into their Master's Series. In other words, the St. Jude Master's Series was Jack's FIRST Valve Design.

Jack later formed Carbomedics to produce Carbon Products for Medical Use and has patents on the Carbomedics and ATS Valves. He later formed On-X to produce his 'latest and greatest' design. Are you saying that his FIRST design is better than the one he came up with after 20 years of designing Heart Valves?

'AL Capshaw'
Hi AL: I agree with everything you say except that the On-X valve is necessarily superior and that many surgeons seem to be somehow unaware of how superior it is. I came away thinking a lot differently after reading all I could get my hands on about the valve. I'll do an analysis offsite and provide links so I don't clutter up this website with this. Regardless, I think it's a conceptual mistake not to be closely guided by your surgeon. If you have to educate him about valve choice, he probably isn't the right guy. Also, I recognize that many very prominent surgeons favor the On-X valve and believe in its superior characteristics, so you could argue that I've worked myself into a contradiction, as I say you should rely on your surgeon, unless there are other issues that make this a simple preference or toss-up. If my surgeon had favored On-X, I might have had a problem. Or I might have just chosen to believe him due to his superior training and knowledge. Probably the latter. So, independently I might reach one conclusion, but still defer to my surgeon if I had more faith in his training, experience and knowledge about valves than in my ability to analyze literature. The bulk of the medical literature is so faulty that you can easily make wrong conclusions without the frame of reference that a world class CT surgeon has. Good thing I didn't have two surgeons who disagreed.:) Anyway, you make a good case for the valve, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who whose surgeon plans to install it.

Oh, and BTW, I think cardiologists should just stay out of the valve selection process. However, since they are getting into the valve replacement area, this is going to get very muddy.

Latest posts

Back