Getting Closer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Labs

First, thank you all for the stories and experiences you share here. Reading this really sheds a personal light to the process.

Less than a year ago I went to a sleep-study doctor figuring I suffered from, what I thought to be, sleep apnea (few nights stopped breathing, general fatigue) . During my initial exam I was asked if I knew I had a murmur. I did not. He proceeds to tell me that is doesn't sound like a minor murmur, listens more... doesn't sound moderate either. He suggests I should make an appointment to see a Cardiologist. By the time I left the consult at the hospital -Cardiology is calling me back in. Come to find out I have major aortic regurgitation from a bad valve.

During my first exam I'm told I'll eventually need to have a replacement in the next 5 or more years -something to checkup and monitor over the years. Perhaps two months later I'm called back for a early checkup -I'm told I may only have a year or two... (left vent is 2x, doppler looks like a hurricane)

After looking at the test results and options, it becomes clear that I may be a candidate for valve REPAIR. While it's unknown why this happened, it's good to know it looks repairable.

So in two weeks I'll enjoy a "nice" stay at Stanford Med under the knife of Dr. Miller. He'll attempt to fix the valve to avoid a replacement.

It's difficult going into surgery while mostly asymptomatic, but in the long run I understand it's best. Hey, at least I'll have a cool scar to share with my boys. :thumbup:

-SD Labs

Hello and welcome !
It is indeed wise to make the decision before your valve hits the ditch. Mine was a mess and I was too chicken to
deal with it. Git 'er done ;)
If you would like me to put you on our VR calendar I will need the exact date of your OHS. No obligation though.

It's difficult going into surgery while mostly asymptomatic, but in the long run I understand it's best. Hey, at least I'll have a cool scar to share with my boys. :thumbup:

Welcome. Obviously sorry you are joining under these circumstances, but it's the common bond around here, so for any questions you might have, certainly you should find lots of great advice and support.

I had surgery with zero symptoms since mine was aneurysm driven, not valve driven. Sure, it felt a little weird strolling into pre-surgery at 5:00 in the morning feeling perfectly fine, but the "long run" definitely matters most. The bright side for me was my great pre-op condition did translate through post-surgery, and I had a very smooth and swift return to normal. I hope it will be the same for you.

I don't know the age of your boys, but in my own experience, my daughter reacted to my surgery just as I did, with a positive outlook and in great spirits. She never saw any worry or frustration on my face, and I think that definitely makes a difference. Sounds like it may be a few days late, but in any case, should make for a great Halloween scar.

By the way, interesting story about your diagnosis. This is a somewhat minor point at this stage, but did they find evidence of sleep apnea as well? You may already know this, but there are connections between sleep apnea and various heart problems. I didn't pay attention to my own sleep apnea until I had my surgery, but have been doing CPAP ever since.

Best wishes and hope to see you posting about a smooth recovery in a few weeks...

I wore the meter to measure 02, there was no indication of sleep apnea. The Cardiologists chalked it up to "episodes" -I was failing to provide enough circulation.

My boys are 2 & 2: one is 2 months the other 2 years. I delayed surgery to spend some time with my newborn. I couldn't imagine being in ICU while she delivered. She'd be in worse condition than me if she had to care after a newborn, two-year old, and my post op.

I go in for my final autologous blood donation this afternoon. Reality is setting in...

Welcome. This site is the best to help keep you calm and informed. Everyone is willing to share their thoughts and point you in a productive direction when you run into a snag. Will keep you in my thoughts and hope that a repair is possible. Best wishes to you and your family

Welcome to the site. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery. I am sure you do well.

I delayed surgery myself this year to give space for a newborn and time for my wife to recover. Now, 7 weeks after post-op my biggest gripe is that I cannot hold my irresistable 5 month old into my arms :) Surgeon told me not to lift anything more than 10 lb for 3 months.

My boys are 2 & 2: one is 2 months the other 2 years. I delayed surgery to spend some time with my newborn. I couldn't imagine being in ICU while she delivered. She'd be in worse condition than me if she had to care after a newborn, two-year old, and my post op.

More than a few folks here have gone through somewhat similar circumstances. My older daughter was 2 1/2 when I had my surgery, and my wife was 7 months pregnant with my younger daughter. I actually was initially adamant about choosing the scheduling path you have. But then my wife and surgeon outvoted me! The lifting restriction will be a little frustrating, but everyone learns to adjust, kids included. I was ok'd to lift up to 30 lbs at the 5 week mark. Didn't help for the older one, but good enough for the baby anyway. My older girl was super for recovery and rehab. She brought me things, helped nudge me out of chairs, and was a real taskmaster for the all important post surgery walking..."Come on, Daddy!"

Getting closer. Taking the flight out to Stanford. It difficult when you're not worried about yourself but those I leave behind. Tomorrow morning CT and t ECHO.

12 hours till showmtime! Dr will be attempting to repair valve, reduce annulus (50% too big right now), graft PEEE tube in place of aorta. 3 for the price of one entry!!! Updates to follow :)

Thank you all for the well-wishes! WOW what a process its been. My stay was longer than anticipated, but I'm out of the hospital and doing well (not home just yet). I'll update to post-surgery forum when I have a bit more strength. Dr. Miller was able to fix me up! Apparently the timing couldn't have been better as my aorta was paper thin and ready to go at any time. Why it didn't -nobody knows.

Thank you all for the well-wishes! WOW what a process its been. My stay was longer than anticipated, but I'm out of the hospital and doing well (not home just yet). I'll update to post-surgery forum when I have a bit more strength. Dr. Miller was able to fix me up! Apparently the timing couldn't have been better as my aorta was paper thin and ready to go at any time. Why it didn't -nobody knows.
I was wondering what happened to you !!
Whenever you are ready, we would like to hear your story. Get some rest :)

Latest posts

Back