Fun in the Cath Lab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyUK

Cath today (through wrist- and I had shaved specially!), and it was too short to reach the Arteries (I am 193 cm tall and look VERY silly in in the tiny hospital gown) so hunt was on for a longer cath and second go. Procedure was fairly painless and quite fun (I like all the techie beeping stuff) and I could get quite addicted to the warming dye. (CT scan was even more fun - like being on the Bridge of Starship Enterprise).

The good news was the arteries are clear, and the suspected dilated Aorta looks OK.

BUT now down for a TEE to see why valve is leaking (possibly Bicuspid but not clear on scans) and a test for Marfans due to my size (which has gone down several generations & is probably just a largeness gene)

So it looks like AVR or AVR + Root if the tissue is suspect - but not for another couple of months.

All 6 in the ward were happy with the cath treatment (4 had stents so were overnighting). AND I had tea and sandwiches with an excellent HOT dinner - so no
concerns over hospital food.

My cath was interesting, but I didn't especially like the intense pressure I felt as they inserted the two catheters. Other than that, it was interesting and no mammth issue -- just not something I would volunteer to do again for giggles. . .

I have been referred to the surgeon, but the TOE has to be planned first - The NHS only moves fast for emergencies and I am told that my heart is just about compensating. Cardiologist indicated surgery would be within three months which will allow me to reduce BP, which spiked at 180/80. Started an ACE inhibitor today. If the tests confirm no connective tissue disorder then I should be due for a straight valve replacement.

I am feeling much more cheerful about the procedure (The Prozac helps!). The hospital is modern and comfortable and the staff are absolutely first class (apart from the torturer who had two goes at inserting the canulla. When it 'stuck' the first time I am sure she wanted to use a hammer to force it in).

The big benefit of a summer op is the potential for better weather and more interesting walks, and less cold if I am wandering about at night.

Latest posts

Back