Full recovery, but I cry a lot now (movies, music...)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnarciso

I am 9 months past my OHS, everything went great. I do not notice any pump head effect on memory or mental abilities. But can I cry now...

I was taught growing up as a boy in Brazil that boys don't cry, and I never did. I am extremely rational on everything I do, and proud of being like that. But since surgery I really get emotional on watching movies or even listening to music - I had a stream of tears rolling down my cheeks on the airplane the other day listening to Amy Winehouse (You Know I'm No Good); watched Hugo last week, and I had to wait for a couple minutes after it was over so that I stopped crying. Just two recent examples, and it never happened before.

I am not unhappy with the "new me", just a little surprised and learning how to handle these things. Anyone else went through anything like this?

Oh yeah....I could not watch Extreme Home Makover for a whole year....tears will flow for a while!

The sensitive emotional feelings will wear off over time, but a small part may remain even after several years.
John

I'm not someone who recovered from heart surgery, but I do know that going through a huge emotional issue (heart surgery, death of a loved one, etc...) can make you take a different perspective on things. I was very much like you in that I rarely cried over anything. When my son died several years ago, everything changed and now the tears just come at the flick of a light switch when I least expect it.

I believe that the realization that everything can change drastically, and perhaps we will not be here any longer allows us to more fully appreciate and experience everything around us, and this is one of the reasons many people become more emotional and teary. No, it's not a bad thing, but it's odd to get used to the new equilibrium.

I was very emotional before my surgery when it came to movies, I was so weak when it came to any sad moment in any film. If I knew a movie would be sad, I had to make sure I watched it alone. I haven't tested myself since surgery though. But I'd imagine it's completely normal with what your going through, a good cry never hurt anybody.

I'm definitely more teary since all my 'heart adventures' began.
I shrug and accept it is what it is.

I found the whole heart surgery experience incredibly emotional, but that was because when I was 13 (late 1980's) my dad died during a very similar surgery to the one I had. I really did not want to undergo surgery, and it was my first ever operation. Every time I thought about my own children it would set me off on my emotional roller coaster.

Thinking about it now, I feel so fortunate that I had surgery now, when the risks are so much lower. However, the period when I was in the waiting room was really tough for me and my family. I also found my hospital stay tough, and did not take needing a pacemaker well. I just wanted everything to be right so I could go home, and not have a 12 day hospital stay.

However, despite all this, I cannot say that I am more emotional post op than pre op. I have always cried in Bambi and cannot see this ever changing :)

If it were happening to me, I wouldn't like it much and would be fairly concerned. I'd probably see doctor and ask about anti-depressants or something that would help stop it. But that's because i really wouldn't like those scenarios happening to me at all.

I really do not think I am depressed at all. Sometimes, specially with music, I cry because it is just "too beautiful or significant not to cry". It is weird, I know, that is why I am sharing it anyways...

To think of it, Hugo wasn't a sad movie, if you were crying it's because of happiness, you should feel no shame.

Hi,

Given the world in which we live, is being moved to tears by music or a movie so bad? I've always thought having AS from a very early age was a weird sort of blessing as it has provided me with insight into being not quite like everyone else. I look at my brothers (three) emotional response to things and I'm glad I am different and respond and engage with the world differently. I'm not saying I am necessarily better, but having AS has I believe given me a different lense from which to see and experience life, and for this I'm grateful. If the tears are there and need to flow don't stifle them. Too much effort and energy is wasted to suppress and keep them in.

All the best.

Phil.

I most definitely had the same experience, though I'll confess to having been moved to tears by film and television, or a good story more than once before the surgery too. It's just that after the surgery, the tears came more quickly and more forcefully for a while. I suspect that when an emotional issue is really big, we protect ourselves from too much pain by shunting some of the emotion which stems from it off to a proxy. I can't sob endlessly over how frightened, I am, how regretful of things I've not done or said yet, and later how grateful I am that everything went so well, so I'll shift some of that burden onto my response to a particularly touching cartoon! Something like that, anyway.

I always cried when I listened to beautiful music that touched my soul and senses, and I still do sometimes.
It is not unusual to become more sensitive for some of us after having been so close to leaving our beloved ones behind! I do not see anything wrong with crying...we were so close to death and it is natural to become more sensitive and appreciative. Make sure that you are eating well and getting enough sleep and rest.
After my surgery, I cannot watch *thrill/violence* movies anymore!

Keep us informed :)

Latest posts

Back