Frequency of Cardiologist Visits???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick sees the cardiologist once a year, but since he gets his meds from the VA, he also sees the VA doctor (who is also a cardiologist, formerly of Cleveland Clinic and originally diagnosed him) twice a year. Last month after an echo, he gave Dick the good news that the valve looks so good, he thinks it will last him his lifetime. (not sure he knows Dick's Dad lived to 102!) For a guy who hates doctors and never wanted to go before valve replacement, he is now going 3 times a year between the two of them!

Dag gone it boy, somebody's gotta he'p him make his Po'che payments. Them cars ain't cheap. :rolleyes:

He did he'p keep yo' hyar didn't he? Don't yo' owe him an atta boy viset evah so offen? :confused::p

So jest quitcher bitchin', will ya. :p

Bubba :)

Actually, I should add re my cardio saying he wanted to see me just every other year....when I was in to see my GP recently (whom I see every 3 or 4 months), he seemed very surprised when I told him my cardio was having me come in just every 2 years. He said that he (the GP) could order an echo himself if need be -- implying that the cardio was going too long without doing that.

Of course if I have any symptoms, I can make an appointment with the cardio anytime (except they are a very large practice, and they use automated reminders of appointments, which I hate). My GP commented on that regarding my next appointment, saying I shouldn't just wait for them to call, because "they are so large, people sometimes get lost with them." :eek:

So maybe there is a happy medium: It may be annoying to go in as often as you are asked to, Cooker, but 2 years may be not frequently enough.

Without any comorbid conditions, once a year is normal. If you haven't had afib in the two years since your ablation, and he has no other convincing arguments, simply switch to only making one appointment each year.

If you are uncertain, get a second opinion. Other than that, it's yours choice, not his.

Best wishes,

Bob....I always enjoy a post that sends me running to the dictioanary......your do often....thanks.

I have a human tissue valve and am almost 4 years post op. I went in a month post op to the cardiologist and then after that yearly. I have no rhythm issues and only take low dose aspirin daily. I have an echo yearly since 2 years post op since he could hear a murmur at the 2 year mark, but still am on yearly visits. My next one is scheduled for Septmeber. My cardio is about 90 miles away so yearly is fine with me!

Cooker said:
a post that sends me running to the dictioanary

Sorry, Cooker. You've been here so long, I thought that dog would've decorated your lawn by now.

I know you've Googled it, but for those who didn't, when referring to a comorbid condition, you're talking about having another health problem that's bothering you at the same time.

With your valve disease, you might have a closely related comorbid condition, like atrial fibrillation (afib). Or one that affects your heart, but is still separate, like a lung condition (such as COPD). Or one that's entirely dissimilar, like geographic tongue. You could also have several comorbid conditions :eek:. co = with, morbid = disease.

Be well,

Cardio Visits

Cardio Visits

Cooker my cardio visits have now moved to every 2 years. :)
She says my heart function is normal after heart remodelling and I have no comorbidities so there is no reason to see me more often. :)
I still see the surgeon yearly and he schedules the tests, as he will decide when it is time again. :)
As I am only 3.5 years post surgery this is most likely a decade away. :)

When I started chatting, soon after AVR, I was shocked how many post-surgical patients apparently had no game plan at all. The surgeon said good-bye after a few weeks, and they were writing to ask what they were supposed to do now about a doctor--even, were they supposed to follow up. What is WITH their surgeons?

Of course, they have done this thousands of times, and probably forget that unless the surgeon tells you, how are you supposed to know to go check back with your cardiologist? But I really had the awful feeling that some patients were sent home with no guidance and the idea of, "Well, that's done. Time to forget about it."

When I started chatting, soon after AVR, I was shocked how many post-surgical patients apparently had no game plan at all. The surgeon said good-bye after a few weeks, and they were writing to ask what they were supposed to do now about a doctor--even, were they supposed to follow up. What is WITH their surgeons?

Of course, they have done this thousands of times, and probably forget that unless the surgeon tells you, how are you supposed to know to go check back with your cardiologist? But I really had the awful feeling that some patients were sent home with no guidance and the idea of, "Well, that's done. Time to forget about it."

I have always felt that people get good follow up....my cardio was at the hospital when I came to in ICU and visited every day and had my appointment set to see him before I left the hospital.....now I had one follow up with the surgeon and that was it. I asked my cardio before surgery who would be taking care of me after AVR, him or the surgeon?...he said emphatically that he was responsible for my care.....he saw me every week for the first 2 months.

I have always felt that people get good follow up....my cardio was at the hospital when I came to in ICU and visited every day and had my appointment set to see him before I left the hospital.....now I had one follow up with the surgeon and that was it. I asked my cardio before surgery who would be taking care of me after AVR, him or the surgeon?...he said emphatically that he was responsible for my care.....he saw me every week for the first 2 months.

My experience is similar to yours. I am 4+ months and I see my cardio every 6 weeks now. I saw my surgeon while I was in the hospital and my cardio as well. My surgeon had one follow up and that was it. I went into AFib while in the hospital and my cardio is the one they called.
Earline

Three years (almost) post OHS and I see the cardiologist twice a year, echo annually. I see my GP every three months unless there is something wrong with me. My INR is checked at the warfarin clinic at our hospital, they choose the frequency depending on how stable you are although you can go earlier if you suspect a problem.

Three years (almost) post OHS and I see the cardiologist twice a year, echo annually. I see my GP every three months unless there is something wrong with me. My INR is checked at the warfarin clinic at our hospital, they choose the frequency depending on how stable you are although you can go earlier if you suspect a problem.

Hmm...

Currently, I see my cardiologist twice a year (today was one of those times).

I have an echo once a year.

I used to see the cardiologist once a year, but since my last surgery...and installation of the pacemaker...I've had to go twice a year, partly because the pacemaker has to be checked twice a year. If I have to make the trek into Chicago for that, might as well see the cardiologist, too.

I hate Chicago. Er, I hate traveling INTO Chicago. I hate traffic. I hate having to "waste" a day to go see the cardiologist. BUT...sure are a bunch of good/nice people there, so I guess it evens out. Sorta.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's such a cold blow from out of the dark" ... Brooks and Dunn ... 'That Ain't No Way To Go'

Latest posts

Back