First Year Down!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Miller

Well the first year is in the books. As some of you might remember, it was pretty bumpy for me. I still have some moments that get my attention, but they are starting to get further apart. The gym has been an important part of my recovery, but the more I go the more my INR bounces around. I've got it to stay in range now for the last three months (2.2-2.9) but that 77.5 mg of Coumadin a week still has me wondering what will happen in the long term. I had the family over for a shrimp boil to celebrate the anniversary tonight and it was reassuring to have everyone tell me how good I looked as compared to a year ago. My grandsons said it’s like it never happened. They were pretty freaked out when they were in ICU. Will I ever be normal again? I think in many ways yes. But mentally, I will have the click, click, click to remind me that not everything is normal. I would really like it if this Darn Stiff Neck would spot aching (doesn’t seem to get any better). I would like to thank you all again for support and wisdom that truly got me through this first year.

Hi, Gary!
Congratulations on your one-year annniversary! What a true accomplishment. Sounds as if this has been a challenging time for you.
It is great that you go to the gym and know that it is a really important part of your new life going forward. Excellent habit to have!
As a new member here, soon to celebrate my 13th anniversary with a mechanical mitral valve, and a fellow member of the "Coumadin Club" (though
I actually take the generic warfarin sodium!), I feel for you with the bouncing around of your INR levels. Early on, I had similar frustrations about
that, but things smoothed out nicely. Hang in there.

As for the clicking, again, with time I bet you'll notice that you DON'T notice the sound!! Or, actually, you'll notice it at times, but it will be
a reassuring sound, rather than an annoying, intrusive or concerning sound. You say the clicking reminds you that everything is not "normal".
But, I hope you can try to see this as your very own NEW NORMAL, and nothing more than that. What a small price to pay for your life.

So, all the best to you, fellow Floridian!

Gary - Congratulations on this first anniversary. The first one, for many of us, is the most momentous. By this point most of us are fully invested back into our lives and can look back over the year and finally realize how far we've come.

Sorry to hear about your stiff neck. I also had a stiff neck after surgery, and unfortunately even after more than 2 years it still bothers me. When I back the car down the driveway, I have to twist around in my seat because I cannot twist my head as far as I used to do. The pain has lessened, but the restricted movement is a bummer.

Latest posts

Back