First week back at work!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandaW

Well I did it, I started back to work Wed, made it 8 hours as most of my day was spent in meetings. My boss asked about accomodations, I was worried she would say I wasn't ready to return to work, Gratefully they are willing to accomodate me. 4 other therapists had split my duties and they were glad to see me. I treated a few patients on Thurs, I am the Dept head of a Rehab and an Occupational Therapist, I can choose who I treat and I am busy getting to know the patients on the Caseload. Today I drove myself to Cardiac Rehab for the 7:30 class, drove to work (about 6 miles on the back roads) worked till 3 pm and felt good. Then I sat down and put my feet up at home and was almost asleep by dinner time. I think I will be crashing early so I can get something done tomorrow. I may make jewelry instead of cleaning or puttering in the yard. It does feel good to have something else to focus on again, instead of me and how I feel. I think working may solve the Insomnia I have had lately. My surgeon said that is often a side effect of the surgery. I either need new glasses or this experience has also effected my eyes, anyone else notice eye stuff? Thanks for all your support, you took some of the fear of returning to work away for me.

congrats.gif

MANY MEMBERS SPEAK OF VISION ABNORMALITIES POST OHS BUT MOST HAVE IT PASS

hug.gif

Last edited:
Can you make me a medi alert bracelet? HaHa! But really, why not as you MFG jewelry.

Good to here you are back on the job. My first shift is this Mon Jun 6 after my Mar 21 OHS. It genuinely does feel wonderful to be employed in a carreer that is rewarding!

I think insomnia and crappy eye sight has more to with advancing age verses OHS.

Visual issues are not unusual with OHS. Many of us develop optical migraine without headache from OHS, others report changes needed in the optical prescriptions and you well may not be imagining it. There have been a number of threads here on the subject of visual changes.
My surgeon and Primary Care doctor referred me to opthamologist after my second surgery. You may wish to have a thorough eye check to be safe.

GREAT to hear how well you are doing. To have started the day at cardio rehab and then worked until 3 P.M. your first day back was terrific. try to not overdo it at first. Sounds like your recovery is progressing very well. :)

Wanda, I'm glad things are going so well and you're back at work. Quite a few people have problems with their vision after heart surgery. IF possible many doctors recomend waiting a little while (couple months) before getting a new prescription for glasses because (like everything else :) ), it can change a little or improve over time. That way you wont end up with brand new glasses or contacts that are the wrong strength. Would it be possible to buy some cheap reading glasses to see if that helps while you wait to see if things get better?

Last edited:
Hi, Wanda, and welcome back to the "real world." Glad you're able to get back into life. As you said, having something other than our own medical issues to think about makes life much more manageable.

I can't add anything with respect to the vision issues, but I can tell you that insomnia is fairly common after OHS. Several of us have "standby" prescriptions for sleep aids such as ambien. I filled the scrip but never took any after reading of the possible side effects. When I'm having trouble sleeping, I use a trick my daughter told me about. She works in a psych ward at a major hospital and when they need to help patients sleep, they give them over-the-counter benadryl. This is also often used to calm down hyper-active children. I've used it several times, and it helps me to sleep but I wake up in the AM without any sedative side effects.

Anyway -- Welcome back. May your recovery continue quickly and smoothly.

never took any after reading of the possible side effects. When I'm having trouble sleeping, I use a trick my daughter told me about. She works in a psych ward at a major hospital and when they need to help patients sleep, they give them over-the-counter benadryl. This is also often used to calm down hyper-active children.

If I remember correctly, tylenol pm is benedryl with pain killer added.
Makes sense benedryl alone would be effective as a sleep aid.

Vision changes following Heart Surgery are not uncommon.

I know that many Doctors recommend that patients NOT change their prescriptions for several weeks after surgery (I'm thinking that the recommendation is to wait at least 6 weeks but am not completely sure of that number).

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you so much for answering my eye question, my eyes are bugging me today, I think they are dry, just know that my vision is not as good as usual. I have spent the day working on jewelry and reading, alittle cleaning, but my eyes have bugged me all day. Maybe I am dehydrated, I was a diet soda pop addict and the Cardiac doctors told me to drop the diet soda. Now I have a couple of cans of real pop(Hate the calories as I have put on about 12 lbs since Feb), I get so sick of water but alot of the additives in other things give me a bad headache. Though since I have dropped the diet pop I have not had a bad headache, who knew. It was a beautiful day in Mpls today but when I went outside I was strongly thinking I could probably manage the "weed wacker" so I spent the day in the house. It is so hard to not be able to do some things yet. I hope all of you are having a great weekend and I think I will schedule an eye appt with the Opthamalogist and get checked out.

Wanda,

You may want to switch to Juicy Juice. Tastes better than water, NO caffeine, and fewer calories than regular soda drinks. You can even 'thin it out' with water to further reduce the caloric intake.

Vision changes following Heart Surgery are not uncommon.

I know that many Doctors recommend that patients NOT change their prescriptions for several weeks after surgery (I'm thinking that the recommendation is to wait at least 6 weeks but am not completely sure of that number).

'AL Capshaw'

My doctors had me wait about 6 weeks.

Thank you for making it through my rambling post AND providing me with some good info as usual. Another sunny day in MPLS, Lots of Jewelry work, played with Beads,wire,bezels,transfers and crystals. A great day, no week wacker, yet. Both my kids will be home tonight and back to work tomorrow. May you all have a great Monday!

Welcome back, Wanda. Take it easy and pace yourself and you'll be doing more soon. I've noticed a worsening of my vision and the need for stronger reading glasses since surgery, but that could be natural progression as I'm 47.

Back