Finally Home Again-There's No Place Like Home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi!
I did post this message under the thread "ottawagal back in hospital", but thought it would be 'good karma' for me to post it as a New thread. :)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for your well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers after I was re-admitted a week ago. Thanks to Dale for posting a new thread on my status.

Warning newbies: you may not want to read this posting.

Well, I was finally discharged for the second time late yesterday after spending another 7 days in hospital (total of 16 days). After coming home first time around, I didn't feel right but figured this was par for the course (as I had some post op complications i.e. pleural effusion, collapsed left lobe, breathing issues, bleeding issues, heart rates problems, nausea etc.)

The night after my first discharge I had a fever and chills, fast heart rate, was short of breath and felt extremely weak. By morning I was alot worse. I called the hospital and ended up being re-admitted and put in isolation, on oxygen, and different courses of medication were attempted to get my heart rate and the post cardiotomy inflammatory syndrome (which was the final diagnosis) under control. They also had to rule out H1N1 and endocarditis (which they did-Amen!).

I am starting to feel better and stronger and even see that little light at the end of the tunnel. I am still dealing with shortness of breath which is attributed to a collapsed left lobe and slight pleural effusion. I was told exercise, breathing and walking is what will help these issues. They upped my metropolol dose which is bringing down the heart rate.

Yesterday, they did another CT scan to rule out a pulmonary embolism before I could go home. It was a VERY long day.

Although it has been a bumpy ride and there were some dark moments, I am now on the upswing and can see my strength coming back (which is very encouraging). My family and friends as well as hospital staff have been amazing throughout all this. I couldn't have done it without them and of course the VR.com family. Now I UNDERSTAND you!!! To all of you who have travelled this path, I have a new compassion and understanding for you. I don't know if I could have ever been prepared for this, but through the grace of God I have made it over the mountain.

I told my surgeon that my new Edwards Perimount Valve better last me a while because I don't think I am up for this ride anytime soon. As difficult as this experience was, in hindisght, it looks like I have some bleeding issues, so I guess that was the way to go.

Thank you again for all your messages. My husband read them to me over the phone and I felt like you were all there with me.

Good news is that I didn't need anything done to the pulmonary valve!!

It's so good to hear you're back home! What a long ordeal. I guess the only good part would be that you had a hospital bed to sleep in, but home is such a better to work on being "unsick"! I certainly hope that shiny new valve last a very very long time!!

home.jpg

I hope you stay out of those hospitals for a very long time. I am so sorry you had to deal with all of that. I pray every day gets better for you.

Great to hear you are home and feeling better! I think each of us has a little worry when we are discharged that, perhaps, we are being sent home too early. For most of us that is an unnecessary anxiety but I am glad to hear that you didn't wait any longer to call your Doctor and tell them that something was wrong.

I hope you have someone to walk with for the next few days until you have a sense of how steady you are and what your comfortable range is likely to be. Again, it is so good to hear from you.

Hi there, Ottawagal ! Good to hear you are home, that was quite a bump you hit! I keep saying, it seems that most of us have at least one bump at some point, I sure hope you are done with them, and the rest of the road is speedy and smooth!

Hooray, Ottawagal! There is no place like home, there is no place like home....sorry you had such a rough go of it in the hospital but hoping and praying recovery goes much more smoothly for you.

As difficult as this experience was, in hindisght, it looks like I have some bleeding issues, so I guess that was the way to go.

Wanda could you elaborate on that a bit more if possible? I know before I went in, my surgeon called a halt because of something he didn't like in my blood tests and sent me to a hemotologist. I guess my blood is missing one clotting factor, but nothing that can't be resolved with plasma if needed. Just wondering if your somewhat in the same boat.

Good to see your posts and hear from you:)
Glad your home,nothing like home and you will get better at home
Take it real S L O W dont try more when feeling better cus....you will pay
take it from alot of us here been there ,done that.

Glad the over the mountain part is over for you one day at a time now
Be good, so no self afflicted bumps occur,Rest lots you deserve it;)

Great News!!!! Where the heck are the Red Shoes?

Great News!!!! Where the heck are the Red Shoes?

Wanda:
I, too, have been clicking my heels for you for a very long time. It's nice to know that you are home, enjoying your own surroundings.

You have my best wishes and hopes for a speedy and uneventful recovery from now on.

Kindest regards,
Blanche

So sorry you had such a tough time Wanda but it's behind you now & you're home! :)

Take care of yourself & take things nice & slow. You'll start feeling better & better with each passing day!! :)

Love thos Ruby Shoes!!!

Love thos Ruby Shoes!!!

Ottawagal, all I can say is WOW! I am one of those that hasn't been there yet, but I am trying to learn as much as I can just so I can try to be prepared mentally. Guess this is one of those things that can happen. I'm sorry you had such a tough time of it. I haven't been looking in lately so wasn't aware of any of this. I'll chime in with everyone else and suggest you take it easy and follow the Dr.'s orders. Hope you are feeling so much better soon and you can go out and buy yourself a sexy pair of red shoes!

Rhena

Latest posts

Back