Finally a surgeon and a date!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterbean64

Hey all,

I've been reading this site for a couple of months now. Long story short, this is my second OHS. First in November 91, Ross Procedure. The last five years, waiting until the right time. The last two months, trying to find a surgeon who would take my case.

Yesterday after two consults, Dr. Accola of Florida Hospital agreed to take my case. He had no doubts and I felt very relaxed and confident that I had found the right surgeon. He has suggested the On X for my AVR and I am estatic to hear that I may only be on Plavix and an aspirin a day.

So after a thorough meeting, the date was set for July 22nd. I'm excited and relieved that I will soon be able to resume my athletic activities soon!

I would do a little more research, I have a 5 week old onx valve, Ive researched everything including talking to ONX directly. IN my humble openion Ive never heard onx has been approved for plavix. Do more investigating call ONX directly. Good luck

Sory if Im out of bounds here. Questions- I hope you do your home work. ONX is my valve of choice because of no reported panus growth, my proublem is that if Im corect with my thinking that no valve has been approved for plavix with asperin and your surgeon was telling you what you wanted to hear I would ask more questions, how many valves does he do. I wanted a surgeon that does at least more than 4 a week for many years. If Im correct I would be up set that he told me that. If Im wrong excuse me, I just want you to be fully informed. I was offered to be in the study for less cumidin ,with a free self tester, I said no, I do not want to be a genny pig.

Things that make you go Hhhhmmmmmmmmm.

Mechanical valve and only taking plavix and an aspirin. That's news to me, and news that I have not seem published as FACT!
I would ask your doctor to provide documentation that supports his statement.

Rob

I agree with others as the On-x is my valve of choice (obviously).

As for the Proact trial, you need to get into it in order to be on Plavix. I was signed up, but after the pre-surgery Plavix 10-day test, I was rejected for the trial. I only say this to say, don't put all of your eggs in that basket. Be open to the idea of Coumadin as well. And frankly, I am not sure that Plavix is any better than Counadin. It is still daily and is an anticoagulant. It is just nice to know they are working on options.

I do not know of Dt. Accola. Just make sure he is experienced in redo operations.

Stay well and best of luck to you
Scott

Welcome, Were did you have your Ross done? Is there a reason you didn't go back there or your first surgeon? Do you also need your pulmonary valve replaced?
Like Scott mentioned I would just make sure your surgeon has alot of experience with REDOs

I appreciate all of the replies. I have done ALOT of research....so much to choose, so many pros and cons. It was mentioned that the On-x and Plavix is part of a study. And I've made my choice to do so with full knowledge that it is a study. Dr. Accola travels world wide doing teaching and has done many re-do's and has done many re-do Ross's. The reason I did not go to my previous surgeons to re-do the Ross is that I was part of a Tele-conference for the Ross 20 years ago and those surgeons are now retired. Dr. Accola is rated top in the state of Florida and is also mentioned in Adam Pick's book. I went by the suggestion of my cardiologist, internet research and by the recommendation of all the other surgeon's who would not touch me. I'm sure there are some cons and I have read those. And I've also read the cons of my options and listing all of those, doing some comparison, I'm happy with my decision. And of course, when it comes down to it, during the operation, things may change and I may have something else.

I am very lucky that my Ross lasted as long as it did. I am grateful for Dr. Angel of Florida who performed it 20 years ago. I am interested in all of your opinions so please do not stop giving them.

I'm so ready to get this done and move on with my life.

Sounds like you have done your research and are ready to pull the trigger. Best wishes on your up coming surgery and quick recovery!

Latest posts

Back