Feeling dumb not being able to get a sample

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This helped me

This helped me

It was difficult to not ruin strips when I started home testing in 2004 using my Coaguchek S monitor that required a droplet from above. So I drew small circles on paper towels and practiced dropping the blood to overcome being nervous. Different fingers, different locations on those fingers and it helped me a lot.

I find the XS much easier to use and apply the blood to the side of the strip. When the lancet is launched I don't feel it. No pain--great gain:cool:

Thanks for the advice. I really think I need to calm down and not get nervous. I think next time I am gonna drop it in from the top and see if that works better for me. If I wasn't paying for them myself I would practice a couple times and see what works best with no pressure on me but every time I know its time to test I can't help but think of all the money going down the drain when i screw one up.
Call the customer service number at the manufacturer. Often they will send a replacement supply if you tell them you are having problems getting it right and need to practice. Obvious, they won't keep sending them but they want to help to make it work.

Thanks! I think I will practice with some blood drops on a paper towel just to get really good at that part of it without wasting money. I do have the machine on a level surface though. I actually am doing everything just like I was taught and for some reason my nerves get to me and I screw them up. Maybe i'm pulling my finger away too soon from the edge of it. The manual says I have 15 seconds to get the drop in so really that is a lot of time. I don't retest for 4 weeks so maybe i'll have calmed down by then and I'll get it right.
Sorry about slow replies. Visiting the in-laws this week:p

Thanks! I think I will practice with some blood drops on a paper towel just to get really good at that part of it without wasting money. I do have the machine on a level surface though. I actually am doing everything just like I was taught and for some reason my nerves get to me and I screw them up. Maybe i'm pulling my finger away too soon from the edge of it. The manual says I have 15 seconds to get the drop in so really that is a lot of time. I don't retest for 4 weeks so maybe i'll have calmed down by then and I'll get it right.

Correct. Do not pull your finger away until the machine beeps.:)

Many of us were nervous when we began home-testing. It's a new experience and you're pretty conscious of how much each testing strip costs.
I've had fewer problems with my INRatio than with my ProTime 3. Only 1 test strip refused so far -- not enough of a sample, instead of bubble errors with the ProTime 3.

I think the 15 seconds refers to the time allowed before the blood sample is expected to start clotting. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

I used to worry about that silly time thing. Forget about it and just do it. Thinking about it and how much each test costs only serves to make you rush, nervous and bound to screw it up. It's not going to kill you if you take your time and just do what you need too. It doesn't have a stop watch and it's not timing you either. ;)

I think the 15 seconds refers to the time allowed before the blood sample is expected to start clotting. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

You are right. I went back and read the book again and it does refer to the blood sample clotting time.

While you're waiting ....................

While you're waiting ....................

for the beep to apply the blood try breathing deeply through your nose and exhaling through your mouth (your stomach should move--really deep breaths) and consciously relax your shoulders.

Also when I was learning I set a timer for 15 sec. and became comfortable with the 15 sec. time frame countdown.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back