Feeling dumb not being able to get a sample

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I got my Coaguchek XS last night :) and had blood drawn at the lab this morning. I have been attempting to get a reading from the Coaguchek but don't seem to be able to get my blood to go where it needs to on the test strip:mad:. I have tried both direct placement in the test strip centre and also touching the drop to the edge of the strip but in three tries I have gotten an error each time. I need advice on which part of which finger is easiest to milk and how big a drop of blood is required - I got the training and thought I had sufficient for the testing - as much as you get when you dip your finger in a glass of water, but my blood seems thin and it all seems to run the wrong way or disappear on the test strip. Maybe I need to use a higher number on the lancet and get a bigger drop:confused:?
Any advice would be helpful. I have read the manual and watched the video and had the training, but the actual mechanics of getting a good blood drop sample on to the machine to get a reading seems to be defeating me at present - something I didn't think I would have any trouble with:eek:!
Cameron

No problem.....relax.....take a breath......lay out all your supplies.
I set my lancer on number 3.5

I stick my middle finger on my left hand, just below the pad of the finger tip.
When the blood starts to flow, if needed, you can "milk" your finger base a bit to get that good drop hanging.

Bring your finger near the left side of the strip.....DON"T touch it though.
The machine will draw the blood in, but you still need a good drop.
LEAVE your finger there, until the machine beeps.

That's it......wait for results.
:)

I'm right-handed and so I use my left hand for test. Almost always use my middle finger on the side of the pad closest to my ring finger. Sometimes running your hand under warm water will help. Also, if I'm having trouble getting a good drop I'll stand up and make sure my hand is way below my heart. That usually gives very good results. Your finger should be dry when you stick it. I use InRatio and when I've got a nice big drop I touch the drop to the strip (not my finger, just the drop) and it gets drawn up nicely. I don't know how big of a drop the XS wants but I like to make sure I have a nice big one.

Good luck.

Try to not feel dumb .............

Try to not feel dumb .............

it just takes a little practice.

My softclix is set to the maximum and I use the larger, yellow lancets, except in the winter when my skin dries out from excema and I put moistened band-aids on the night before to soften the injection site.

Bina has it dead on. Placing the monitor at the edge of the kitchen counter so the strip projects over the edge will allow your hand to come from beneath might be help too.

Monojet (brand name) lancets are 21 gauge, tri-bevel point, require a different lancet launcher are useful at this time of year for me. They cause a much larger, deeper "stick". Shopper's Drug Mart carries them here and the launcher was free.:) If all else fails, and it shouldn't, you'll find them useful.

Last edited:
Tenderlett?

Tenderlett?

We all have our troubles when we start this business. For years I used different lancets at variable settings.I also was a fan of capillary tubes for a long time. Now I use something called the TENDERLETT. It takes a 1.75 mm slice consistently , hardly feel it and always get a good drop. I alternate the middle finger, ring finger left hand slicing a little toward the pinky side. It drops right on target and I don't use capillary tubes anymore. You can get a box of TENDERLETTS from QAS 1-800-298-4515 Ext 2803 ask for Lance or Henry. Good slicing!

I got tip from Al Lodwick, patron saint of warfarin testers. Firs, if it is an option, it is a lot easier to have your husband/wife/etc. help you test.

Second-and this was the biggest help-it is highly unlikely that you really need a big lancette set for maximum penetration depth. I remember Al saying he tested guys who had performed a lifetime of manual labor with their hands--which were practically the equivalent of saddle leather--but didn't need to max out the tester. After following his advice, I was able to move my lancette from the maximum to a medium setting. Now my tests are about 95% successful. It was nice to move that puppy down.

Cameron tests successfully - needs advice on dosing!

Cameron tests successfully - needs advice on dosing!

Thanks everyone.
I tested on Sunday with the help, support, and timing supplement of the Wife and this time was successful:) - Bina, I pretty much followed your advice - when you say "below the pad" on your middle finger do you mean closer to the base of your finger or to the tip? I set my pricker for 4 and went for the tip of my middle left finger and got a lovely big drop pretty quickly. I carefully aligned over the sweet spot on the test strip and touched the drop down and got an almost immediate beep of success:D. The only problem I have is that I seem to have bruised my finger tip:(!
When I left the hospital a week past Friday I was on 8mg Warfarin/day and had INRs of 2.8 and 2.7 on the Thursday and Friday. I tested again on the Monday and was at 1.9. Kept going on 8mg and tested again on Thursday and was at 1.8. I upped the dose to 9mg/day and tested on my Coaguchek XS on Sunday and was at 1.9. I will be going to the lab on Tuesday to test again and will do my Coaguckek XS parallel test. My theraputic range is supposed to be 2-3 but I will feel more comfortable being in the 2.5-3 range. What is the advice of the panel on where my INR and dosing are at at the moment?
Thanks to all for the support and tips, it made all the difference;).
Cameron

I hold out my left hand as if I am going to shake hands with someone...then stick the finger pad on the lower portion directed towards the floor.
Occasionally there will be a tiny bruise, but since it's not directly on my finger pad I can still type!

INR dosing: I think you can safely go ahead and take 10 mg per day.....
You are still recovering and increasing your activities, therefore the dosing tends to increase a bit.
I bet that after Tuesday's test you will be able to go to weekly testing. Let's hope.

I am having this problem too. I have been home testing since Dec. and the first 3 times I had no problems. I have a coaguchek XS and i put the drop in from the side. The 4th time I home checked I went thru 4 strips before I got it. I was crying and ticked off by then. Ever since then I use 2 strips to get it right. I try to go in thru the side and it doesn't work so I quickly start squeezing my finger and try to get more on the top and then I get the dreaded error. I pay for the strips myself so I think nerves play a huge role here. I get a huge drop of blood but it will normally want to roll off my finger before I can get to the strip or I think the drop is big enough and the darn machine never beeps an ok at me. The second try I re prick and say a prayer and normally I end up getting it thru the top. VERY FRUSTRATING! I haven't gotten it right on the first try for the last 5 draws. I get so anxious now that I dread the day I have to test. This morning I pricked my finger 5 different times and had blood running everywhere to get my test right. I wont test agin for 3 weeks now but I think next time I will go in thru the top to begin with. Really hope I can get on a roll and get it right the first try so I can get over this anxiety.

I am having this problem too. I have been home testing since Dec. and the first 3 times I had no problems. I have a coaguchek XS and i put the drop in from the side. The 4th time I home checked I went thru 4 strips before I got it. I was crying and ticked off by then. Ever since then I use 2 strips to get it right. I try to go in thru the side and it doesn't work so I quickly start squeezing my finger and try to get more on the top and then I get the dreaded error. I pay for the strips myself so I think nerves play a huge role here. I get a huge drop of blood but it will normally want to roll off my finger before I can get to the strip or I think the drop is big enough and the darn machine never beeps an ok at me. The second try I re prick and say a prayer and normally I end up getting it thru the top. VERY FRUSTRATING! I haven't gotten it right on the first try for the last 5 draws. I get so anxious now that I dread the day I have to test. This morning I pricked my finger 5 different times and had blood running everywhere to get my test right. I wont test agin for 3 weeks now but I think next time I will go in thru the top to begin with. Really hope I can get on a roll and get it right the first try so I can get over this anxiety.

See my PM to you. You may also want to get some capillary tubes to use.

I've found that I have absolutely no trouble getting a sample if I test after I've taken a shower or a bath. The body is really warmed up and the surfaces vessels aren't constricted.

You've got to calm down before testing.....make it an enjoyable task.:)
Honestly, I make sure that I am alone, house is quiet, and I am relaxed.
There is no point in fussing, worrying and shaking, while trying to get a drop of blood onto a test strip.

If you have a good, hanging, drop of blood and hold it near the side of the strip until the machine beeps, you will succeed.
DO NOT TOUCH the strip in the slightest way or it will cause an error code.
This is a precision instrument designed to work under precise conditions.
Good Luck.:)

When I first started testing, I had to experiment with the different settings on the lancet shooter. For me, I have to use the highest setting (5) in order to get a good draw.

Good luck & don't get stressed out about it. You'll master it soon! :)

Thanks for the advice. I really think I need to calm down and not get nervous. I think next time I am gonna drop it in from the top and see if that works better for me. If I wasn't paying for them myself I would practice a couple times and see what works best with no pressure on me but every time I know its time to test I can't help but think of all the money going down the drain when i screw one up.

I seem to have mastered the technique now, although I always go in from the top and not from the side. I wash my hands in warm water, start the machine and put in the test strip and verify the code. While the strip is warming up I "pre-milk" my finger - I use the tip of my left middle finger - squeezing and stroking the finger to get the blood down to the end. For the last few seconds I trap the blood there by squeezing off it's getaway path! When the machine beeps ready for a drop I lance (4.5 setting) and again "milk" my finger, NOT squeezing as I do for my glucose test. I usually get a nice big drop pretty quickly, then very carefully suspend the drop over the centre of the strip, just letting the drop touch the sweet spot, and hold as steady as I can until I get the confirmation beep! As Bina says, I have to be relaxed and focused to make it all go properly, but after a shakey start - I wasted 4 strips before I got one to go - , I am pretty confident now and really appreciate having the home tester and being able to home dose.
Relax and you will get there eventually.
Cameron

I just got my machine about two weeks ago. My first time I was so nervous I thought I would have such a hard time.I laid everything I would needed out. I kept getting out the booklet and looking at it reading it etc.. Then I could'nt get the needle in what ever thats called but then it clicked so went on with the poke. I set mine on #3 because I'm a big baby when it comes to poking a needle.:eek:
Thought i would have problems with the drop of blood but just massage my finger a bit and put the drop of blood on the strip and waited for the reading.
Hopefully next time I won't be as nervous.:rolleyes:
It helped to have my back up crew on the forum...:)

Thanks for the advice. I really think I need to calm down and not get nervous. I think next time I am gonna drop it in from the top and see if that works better for me. If I wasn't paying for them myself I would practice a couple times and see what works best with no pressure on me but every time I know its time to test I can't help but think of all the money going down the drain when i screw one up.

Do what I told Bina to do, slap that machine silly and let it know who's boss! Everytime it screams at you, slap it. Soon, it will be conditioned and will no longer yell at you for fear of being slapped.

Latest posts

Back