extra loud thumping st jude avr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caterb85

My Husband Has Had His St Jude Vavle For 8 Weeks Now At Times His Clicking Is Not Clicking But A Very Loud Thumping Noise At The Upper Middle Of His Chest. Has Any One Else Had This And How Long Does Is Last?

Last edited:
8 weeks post op is still early in recovery, the valve should get more quiet and calm as time goes on. My valve is not a clicker, it is more of a quiet thumper. I don't know if it is also because of the model, I have a St.Jude Regent.

loud thump

loud thump

Mine to is a thump noise and then sometimes I hear like a metal click. That is almost always at night.

I hear and feel the thumping too...kinda like a very exaggerated heartbeat...yes you will both get used to it and then it will seem to have quietend down a bit...mine is thumping away steadily now in the front of my chest...can usually only notice it when it is quiet...sometimes I hear the metal clicking in a bathroom...more often its this thumping kind of sound. As long as your Doc/Cardio/Surgeon says its OK then ITS OK!

Thumps

Thumps

I usually refer to the noise mySt Jude Regent makes as a click, but it's really more of a thump. It's noticable for me when I exercise or lay down to sleep. I seldom notice it when engaged in regular daily activities.

-Philip

Hopefully a lifetime. Sounds depend on body accoustics. Not a whole lot can be done to tone it down other then get used to it.

caterb85 said:
My Husband Has Had His St Jude Vavle For 8 Weeks Now At Times His Clicking Is Not Clicking But A Very Loud Thumping Noise At The Upper Middle Of His Chest. Has Any One Else Had This And How Long Does Is Last?

There have been other discussions of this topic in the past.

One observation / conclusion has been that when there was a Stenotic (narrowed) natural valve, the Heart Muscles had built up to compensate for having to pump through the narrow opening.

It takes some Time for the Heart to 'recondition' those muscles to pump 'more softly' against a new valve with a Lower Pressure Gradient than the original diseased valve.

'AL Capshaw'

pulsating sound

pulsating sound

Ever Since My Husband Avr Surgery 10 Weeks Ago They Can Hear His Heart Through The Stethascope When They Try To Get His Blood Pressure. When He Bends Over It Gets Even Worse You Can Hear It Just Standing Next To Him. Nobody Seems Very Alarmed By This But Nobody Has Told Us What Is Causing This Either. Has Anyone Else Ever Heard Of This After Avr With St Jude Valve And Aorta Replacement From Anuerysm?

caterb85 said:
Ever Since My Husband Avr Surgery 10 Weeks Ago They Can Hear His Heart Through The Stethascope When They Try To Get His Blood Pressure. When He Bends Over It Gets Even Worse You Can Hear It Just Standing Next To Him. Nobody Seems Very Alarmed By This But Nobody Has Told Us What Is Causing This Either. Has Anyone Else Ever Heard Of This After Avr With St Jude Valve And Aorta Replacement From Anuerysm?

My nieces love to stand next to me or hug up just to hear it?.they are fascinated by it. If you don?t hear it I would worry;) ?..As was said, it is still early in recovery?it will become a part of your life that will not be noticed?like breathing?.give it time.

Latest posts

Back