Exercise and Enlarged Heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Hey, I had a couple of questions about exercising with a pulmonary valve that has stenosis. I would like to start exercising; however, I might be needing surgery on my stenotic pulmonary heart valve any year now. The cardiologist said that I am at a point where I can choose intervention now. However, I met with a new cardiologist (After being transferred from children's hospital to USC hospital) and he said that as far as cardio goes, I should not have to limit myself. I believe that my heart might be a little enlarged already.

Do you guys think that pushing myself with cardio work outs and some weight lifting will contribute and make my heart more enlarged?
(I am currently 21 years old if that makes a difference)

Mine was "enlarged" for a good 20 years prior to the surgery. I was able to run some pretty competitive times up to about 9 months before the procedure. You have to ask the cardiologist is it enlarged a bit more than normal or dangerously enlarged and what's normal anyway? An athletic heart is going to be larger than a sedentary person's simply because it gets more exercise and hearts vary according to the size of the person. Bigger guys, not necessarily taller, should have bigger hearts. See, it's all relative.

I was in a similar position as Jack. I have trained most days over the last 30 years and competed in many races. The bicuspid aortic valve was discovered in 1987. When I move house (and hospital) 10 years ago I had my routine echo and other tests. The doctor at the new hospital did not have my previous results and asked me whether I had been told before that I had a large heart, i.e. he was not sure whether the enlarged heart was due to the exercise, the bicuspid aortic valve or both. I was allowed to compete in races up to 6 months before my AVR. I was always honest the doctors each check up regarding the amount I did but always asked if it was still OK to carry on what I was doing. The doctors have all the figures and were looking for any changes (either heart parameters or my ability to exercise).

I find it encouraging to note all the runners, and athletes who use this website. I am ten days out from an AVR that went very well, with no complications. At 65 years of age, I am a former runner who wants to get back some of what was lost over the last five years.

The home care nursing service provided me must limit their caseloads to 85 year old shut ins. When I began to inquire about post surgery PT; their response was to offer me a supervised group of chair exercises for the first two weeks. When I said I had already gone for a seven minute walk down to the beach, you'd think I had announced a Mount Everest North Face summit attempt.

Runners do not grow old running unless they listen to their bodies and learn from others. I am glad I found everyone here. Gordo

Welcome Gordo...there is no reason you can't get back; you should be able to start running in a few weeks....check with your cardio and surgeon; the biggest concern is the sternum healing. Alex, if a cardio says it will be soon, get thee to a surgeon. You will learn on this site many cardios wait, and many surgeons want to go in early, so it is up to you when the best time for surgery actually is!

Gordo - Ask your cardio about a monitored cardiac rehab program. I'm sure there are many in your area. You would start one of these programs once the initial healing is done (like 6 weeks or so) and they would test your then current physical abilities. Then they would develop a program to push you to get back into some level of conditioning (you develop your rehab objectives with one of the staff). Think of them as very pleasant drill sergeants (but no push-ups). The program I am doing uses stationary bicycles and treadmills, along with small free-weights. It is surprisingly effective - at least for me. Two years before surgery I was jogging 3 to 4 miles daily at about a 10 min/mile pace. The year before surgery I had slowed down to 2 or 3 miles daily at around 15 minutes/mile. For the first month after surgery, I wasn't sure if I was EVER going to get back any conditioning. Now, 6 months after surgery and most of the way through a 12-week rehab program I am once again able to jog a couple of miles daily, at about 11 min/mile - so far. Oh, and I don't qualify for the "student" rates for anything anymore, being 63 years old.

10 days is, I think, too soon to try to do much in a physical sense. It is a good time, though, to begin to cement in your own mind the commitment to do whatever it takes to get where you can and where you want to get. We didn't go through these surgeries to sit at home and watch TV. We chose life, and there's a lot out there to see and do - even as middle age approaches <grin>.

Alex, hearts certainly do vary in size. Have a frank conversation with your cardiologist about what's wise in terms of exercise, and that's the best guidance. If your cardiologist said that certain workouts are fine, go with it. Keep in touch with your docs about this stuff and be sure to ask direct questions about exercise since it's important to you. Keep asking until you have the details you need to be confident in what you're doing.

Gordo, great to have you. The folks around here really are the best support you could ask for. As they've suggested, check in with your doc about a program, take it easy at first, and keep that commitment to yourself.

Latest posts

Back