Elective surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeuxofUs

I have some elective surgery that I have been thinking about doing for myself and I am currently steady at 1.0, little regurg.... left ventricle is good.. etc...

Do you think my cardio would give me the go ahead for something like this? It would be about 3 hours or so...

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks!

I don't know your cardio, but I do know that my cardio basically said "No elective surgery" at about 0.9 to 1.0 cm2. His reasoning was that when they put you under general anesthesia, when your valve is that "tight" it might be so much restriction that you would go into cardiac arrest if the heart was unable to overcome the valve restriction at the lowered blood pressure induced by the anesthesia. I guess it would be different if they used a local anesthetic, or if they used the "twilight sleep" lighter stuff.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's the reasoning my cardio stands by. We were pretty aggressive about a lot of things, but on that one he held firm.

Hmmm....I don't have any experience with this, but I'm a chicken and would run far away from any elective surgery.
Maybe talking to people who have had the same specific surgery would be helpful ? Some procedures can have
very different recoveries and side effects and dangers.

I was suppose to have wisdom teeth cut out when I was hovering at the 1.0 mark. The oral surgeon said it would have to take place in the hospital due to my valve issue. When I went for my preo-op visit, the anesthesiologist nixed it. He said it was too iffy to take the risk.

Latest posts

Back