Effects of Heart Lung Machine Post OP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After nearly three years I still feel that my memory is not what it use to be ?.. DW says I always suffered from CRS??..

I too have always suffered from CRS but I think it's worse since my surgery. I can not remember why I came into a room, what I was going to say and like someone else mentioned if someone interrupts my talking or my thoughts for that matter it's out the window.

I've learned to work around it for the most part.
Earline

I do think that being put on that heart-lung machine three times plus being under anesthesia for three other major surgeries in my life, has certainly done it's number on my brain cells. :eek:

CRS certainly has it's advantages, sometimes!!!! :D:p

Pump heads !? This is all new to me ! I know that when I came home from hospital about 5 days post op I had all sorts of head trouble... Firstly I woke up in my brothers car half way home (two hour drive) not having a clue where I was and my brother stopping me from opening the door and getting out the moving car ! The second evening home whilst watching tv with the lodger I suddenly realised I didn't know who he was or where I was, but kept myself really calm and thought it through. Then a day or two later my chest was hurting so I casually pulled my shirt down a bit to look at it and was completely freaked by the fack there was a huge scar there... It took what seemed like an age to figure it out and then I got upset because I'd forgotten I'd had heart surgery !
But touch wood these weird moments of madness seem to have stopped now.

My thought about this problem which left woodbutcher fairly soon is that he had a major and lingering reaction to the anesthesia. When my son had his wisdom teeth out he was out of his mind after he woke up. When my father had his triple by-pass, he was completely nuts for the first 5 days, seeing things in an utterly bizarre fashion. Both men resolved this predicament soon. I don't see this as too troubling, just that some of us are far more sensitive to these meds that we have to be given.

Just my thoughts.

Marguerite

Thank you Marguerite,
That's an interesting thought and one that I'll be happy to take on board as a reason. It's really not nice losing your marbles like that for a few seconds or so and makes us realise just fragile are brains can be.

So now I can send my DH here and tell him its "pumphead" LOL If you interrupt me while I am talking or typing, I will totally forget what I was saying and have been known to retype the same thing twice or repeat myself to my husband, kids and the people at work. They all look at me like I am crazy and my hubby will just not say anything to me unless I tell him or ask him the same thing 3 or more times. My daughter just lets me ramble! Now work is a totally different bag of worm...they think I have totally lost my mind and will literally tell me that I am crazy and that I need to think before I speak. I am not saying anything wrong, just repeating myself more than once. Kinda sucks since I work with the public alot (I work in the title and escrow business, doing home closings) so it is not a really good thing. I do tend to tell people that I had OHS and that if I say something more than once, its because I am not totally together yet. Hopefully, that makes them think a little better of me. Glad to see that I am not the only one that has this..........:D

Diana
AVR 5/2008 Dayton Heart Hospital

Hi fellow pumpheads,

This has been one of my major concerns since my surgery almost 9 years ago. I have noticed and still experience issues that I believe are tied to this. I have also brought this up to my doctors many times over the years. If nothing else, it documents my concerns and issue for whenever I may need to use this data for in the future.

I have done research on this in the past, and found many interesting articles. It will be good to see if anyone can add some "new" data regarding this issue.

I recall that Duke University has done many studies on this topic. Also, it was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, a CBS news article, and the BBC.

If you "google" memory loss heart lung bipass... you will find more data.

Here is some of the info I have collected.

BBC

Last Updated: Saturday, 12 November 2005, 01:23 GMT

Heart-lung machine safety boosted

Heart-lung machines help keep people alive
Technology first used by the ancient Egyptians has been used to improve the safety of the heart-lung machine.
The machine is used during open-heart surgery to provide oxygen and circulate blood around the body while the heart is stopped.
A team at London's Hammersmith Hospital has found a way to clean the blood more effectively, and cut the risk of potentially serious side effects.
It involves using tiny carbon particles to reduce contaminants.
The technology was first used by the ancient Egyptians to filter water over 3,000 years ago.
Fat droplets, known as microemboli, can develop in the blood while a patient is connected to a heart-lung machine.
These droplets can become lodged in the small blood vessels in the brain, preventing blood flow and triggered small strokes known as transient ischaemic attacks.
In severe cases this can lead to brain damage and death.
Microemboli are thought to be created when a surgeon uses suction to remove blood from the chest cavity, which is then returned to the bloodstream via the heart-lung machine.

Significant problem
Lead researcher Professor Terry Gourlay said: "Microemboli blockages are responsible for a significant proportion of people suffering memory loss, minor personality changes and other brain dysfunctions.

"Over half of all patients who have been on heart-lung machines show some of these signs, so this is not an insignificant problem."
A US study has shown that for each hour spent on the heart-lung machine the number of microemboli in the blood doubles.
The droplets have proved difficult to remove as they are so tiny.
But the Hammersmith team has achieved great success by using a form of activated carbon, which is highly sticky, or adsorbent.
Highly effective
Working with colleagues from the University of Brighton, they developed a short section of tubing that can be fitted into the heart-lung machine.
As blood passes through the tube, the fat droplets are adsorbed on to the surface of the carbon particles, completely removing all traces before the blood returns to the body.
The technique proved so effective that 100% of microemboli were removed with just a single passage of blood through the tubing. This is crucial , as any droplets that are returned to the body have the potential to cause great damage.
Professor Gourlay said: "With over five litres of blood passing through the machine every minute, finding a recipe for a tube that removes all traces of fat but does not damage the blood constituents was a major boost to our work."
Belinda Linden, of the British Heart Foundation said: "The development of the heart-lung machine has allowed cardiac surgeons to successfully carry out more complicated heart surgery.
"It is so important that we explore ways to lessen blot clot formation and these researchers may well be one step closer to a solution."
The technique could potentially be used in other forms of surgery, including liposuction and hip replacement operations.
Last year over 30,000 patients in the UK were placed on a heart-lung machine during surgery.
Hospital admissions for heart failure are projected to increase by over 50% over the next 25 years.

The New England Journal of Medicine -- February 8, 2001 -- Vol. 344, No. 6

Longitudinal Assessment of Neurocognitive Function after Coronary-Artery Bypass Surgery
Mark F. Newman, Jerry L. Kirchner, Barbara Phillips-Bute, Vincent Gaver, Hilary Grocott, Robert H. Jones, Daniel B. Mark, Joseph G. Reves, James A. Blumenthal, for the Neurological Outcome Research Group and the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Research Endeavors Investigators

Abstract
Background. Cognitive decline complicates early recovery after coronary-artery bypass grafting (CABG) and may be evident in as many as three quarters of patients at the time of discharge from the hospital and a third of patients after six months. We sought to determine the course of cognitive change during the five years after CABG and the effect of perioperative decline on long-term cognitive function.
Methods. In 261 patients who underwent CABG, neurocognitive tests were performed preoperatively (at base line), before discharge, and six weeks, six months, and five years after CABG surgery. Decline in postoperative function was defined as a drop of 1 SD or more in the scores on tests of any one of four domains of cognitive function. (A reduction of 1 SD represents a decline in function of approximately 20 percent.) Overall neurocognitive status was assessed with a composite cognitive index score representing the sum of the scores for the individual domains. Factors predicting long-term cognitive decline were determined by multivariable logistic and linear regression.
Results. Among the patients studied, the incidence of cognitive decline was 53 percent at discharge, 36 percent at six weeks, 24 percent at six months, and 42 percent at five years. We investigated predictors of cognitive decline at five years and found that cognitive function at discharge was a significant predictor of long-term function (P<0.001).
Conclusions. These results confirm the relatively high prevalence and persistence of cognitive decline after CABG and suggest a pattern of early improvement followed by a later decline that is predicted by the presence of early postoperative cognitive decline. Interventions to prevent or reduce short- and long-term cognitive decline after cardiac surgery are warranted. (N Engl J Med 2001;344:395-402.)
Source Information
From the Department of Anesthesiology (M.F.N., J.L.K., B.P.-B., V.G., H.G., J.G.R.), the Department of Surgery (R.H.J.), the Division of Cardiology (D.B.M.), and the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science (J.A.B.), Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C. Address reprint requests to Dr. Newman at the Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia, Box 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, or at [email protected].
The members of the study groups are listed in the Appendix.

Sadly I think I was every bit as dopey before the surgery... but then maybe that was an unknown side-effect from the first two I had as a kid and I just never realised it before!! I do feel it's been worse in the last 10 years though (forgetting what you call things, what I walked into a room for, names, what I just started saying..), but maybe it's just the higher percentage of natural "platinum blonde" I seem to be getting each year :D

A : )

I had self inflicted short term memory loss since I was in high school. Self inflicted ie chemically induced. Unlike some politicians I DID inhale. But recently since my surgery in November it is alot worse. The exercise your brain thing ain't working. My wife got a Nintendo DS for Christmas. She also got a game called brain age. It tests your memory and such. It has speed math problems, memorization games, and Soduku. I play it for about 1/2 hour every day and do a few sodukus a day. It ain't working. If things aren't spelled out I don't remember. I almost feel like I have permanent brain damage.

Sadly I think I was every bit as dopey before the surgery... but then maybe that was an unknown side-effect from the first two I had as a kid and I just never realised it before!! I do feel it's been worse in the last 10 years though (forgetting what you call things, what I walked into a room for, names, what I just started saying..), but maybe it's just the higher percentage of natural "platinum blonde" I seem to be getting each year :D

A : )

Could be related to your CHD and/or surgery as a child They have been studying it since more kids with Complex CHD made it to/thru school. http://tchin.org/resource_room/CHDSchool.htm

The pump head phenomenon is annoying problem. I thought I was free of it, but apparently I didn't escape all of the effects. If I'm even slightly sleep deprived I become fairly aphasic. If the issue is emotional, I tend to lose even more words. It's as if my mental energy has to be much more allocated to one particular thing than before. If it's too spread out, I lose it one way or another. The mild Asperger's syndrome doesn't help much, either. While I learned how to interact socially and feel deeply through lots of prayer and good counseling over most of my life, the emotions seem to get a life of their own. When that happens, I have to get off by myself or I may say or do something very inappropriate, even when I logically realize it--I no longer have to power to completely stop my anger or whatever is happening.

My typing tends to get mixed up more than before. I'm sure glad I don't have to type this on a manual typewriter, or else I'd be going through whiteout by the six-pack. :)

We all went through some pretty intense physiological trauma, so it stands to reason our brains have some after effects.

Chris

thanks, Rob. I know you have been concerned about this pumphead thing for a long time and your research shows your concern. Was hoping you'd stop in with your thoughts. I have, and probably everyone else has, gained a new knowledge from the articles. Thanks so much for putting them here. We now have something 'official' to point out when the question arises in future.

In doing the computer games and a couple of handheld games, I have been able to increase some brain functions such as math addition. a little in memory, as well - except for recalling names.

I have noticed that I have had problems with remembering things over the past couple years. My borther tells me welcome to old age. At 54 I don't feel that old lol. But I am one of those who remembered everything. At my class reunions I am told I remembered way to much! But after surgery in Nov for hernia and colon I have really noticed a loss of memory. There are times I cannot remember what we are having for supper 5 minutes after my wife tells me. Things like that. Just feels all so strange.

My boyfriend just said "that explains a lot,but,what was wrong before the surgery,",,maybe its time to rethink the relationship. LOL

I am almost two years post op from my second aaa heart surgery and pumphead is my biggest issue..i've heard it called bypass brain. I would really like to see more research done on this area of recovery after multiple ohs experiences. I feel as though i spend lots of energy overcompensating to hide what i call a change in intelligence, memory, word and name recall, concentration, focus,-far beyond normal menopausal symptoms for women.

I had AVR 6 months ago, but it seems that my pumphead is getting worse. Or maybe I'm more aware of it now. I can't seem to concentrate on anything--it took me forever to read through this thread, and my memory is much worse. Are we sure that this is due to the surgery itself, or could it be the medication (I was taking Toprol 50, but that has become unavailable, so now I'm on Metoprolol 25 mg twice a day). Or is it just age (I'm 59)? It's really upsetting me--I always prided myself on my memory and knowledge of trivia, and now I can't even get any of the questions on Jeopardy right. Is there anything I can do to counteract or improve this?

Has anybody suffered any changes in their life after Valve replacement and having been on the Heart Lung Machine?
I have noticed that sometimes I will transpose definitions for example, if I say "My ankle is sore" when in fact it is my "Wrist"? .
I have a friend who is a retired Anethetist and he has told me it is common after open heart surgery to have these sort of what seems memory lapses but he said that it does not get any worse but will probably continue for the rest of my life.
He says the after being on the HLM there appears to be a formation of minute air bubbles that appear in the brain and this is the cause.
I don't know if this is true but can anybody else confirm or deny this ?
Kvntoday

I never thought I would tell anyone this, other than my nurses. My OHS was in August of 08. When I woke up and for the next 5 days I would see this trail of ants running on the aluminum rail that held up the curtain around my bed. Then out of the corner of the ceiling a big spider would come out and attack the ants. When I looked out the window I would see these bright little lights jumping around---so I wouldn't look out the window. The worst though was if I starred at the wall it would shimmer like desert heat, then catch on fire. So, I would just close my eyes and try to sleep. I didn't tell anyone, because I was afraid they would lock me up. Finally the nurse asked me if I were seeing things. When I told her, she had a good chuckle. She told me they used hallucinetic drugs on me as my surgery was 7 1/2 hours long and they wanted to take me way down. Made me wonder why anyone would buy that crap and put it in their bodies. It lasted a couple days after I got home, but then cleared up. As for memory or cognitive thinking I never had any problems. To see if I was okay I got out my Celestial Navigation books and reduced some sites I got off the internet. I figured if I could do that, then I must be okay. As of today I feel completely normal from the neck up.:):):)

I had surgery almost three years ago, and I can attest to being pumpheaded. I used to have an excellent vocabulary (sad for an English teacher :rolleyes:), but since my surgery, I have difficulty recalling words. Just yesterday, I was talking to my stepbrother about a conference I attended with some students. I wanted to say "delegation," but couldn't recall that word and ended up saying "congregation."

I told my cardio last summer about my ongoing "pumpheadedness," and he said, "It's not pumphead. You weren't on the pump." What? I was! I read my surgery report that said I was on the pump for 79 minutes. My cardio says that's wrong since I had minimally invasive surgery, but my surgeon said I was on the pump.

Sigh. Whatever. All I know is that my brain's a bit funky since this surgery.

I have never heard of such a thing before but it could explain a lot about Christopher's issues, minor as they may be. As his surgery was long before he began to speak or write, who knows what his abilities would have been. But he has always had what I consider to be a speech impediment. He has a HUGE vocabulary and loves to talk and tell stories but has a hard time finding people patient enough to listen because he often stops mid-word and then starts again mid-word. It is not a stutter but more of a glitch. I had him evaluated by the school district speech therapist and was told that it was due to his CHD and there was nothing that could be done and he might outgrow it. He's 10 years post-op now and no improvement has been made here.

He also has problems with small motor skills. His hand-writing attrocious and he takes forever to get his ideas down on paper. Which is quite unfortunate because he is an awesome story-teller. It is so bad that his teachers have taken to letting him take work home to type on the computer if it is obvious that he is struggling in class to get it done. But they do make him try to write it out like the other kids. He was slow to learn to tie his shoes and now actually asks for velcro straps when we buy him new sneakers.

This is so interresting but also makes me wonder... will all this get worse after this next surgery?

Back