Ef?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I know a little about EF (Ejection Function) and how 65 is like the top of the range.

So how is it possible for an EF to be 72 before surgery?

Anybody know?

Overcompensating heart

Overcompensating heart

Hi Freddie. From what I have learned from this website is that sometimes just before the EF drops that it will almost overcompensate because it is trying so hard to pump the blood. Then it just can't do that anymore, and it drops. I think that super-athletes might be able to have a 70% EF normally, but normal people usually do not unless it is overcompensating.

I know a little about EF (Ejection Function) and how 65 is like the top of the range.

So how is it possible for an EF to be 72 before surgery?

Anybody know?

Freddie, I think that part that has you confused is you're thinking of the top of the "normal" range, not what is possible for EF. So it's possible to be above or below "normal" especially before surgery, when as Adrienne said depending on what and where the problem is, your heart has to work harder so can go above the normal EF to try and compensate for the narrowing to push the blood thru

Freddie, I think that part that has you confused is you're thinking of the top of the "normal" range, not what is possible for EF. So it's possible to be above or below "normal" especially before surgery, when as Adrienne said depending on what and where the problem is, your heart has to work harder so can go above the normal EF to try and compensate for the narrowing to push the blood thru

This makes sense...as now I have a stenotic mitral valve following mitral valve repair needing replacement. Thanks, Lyn

As I have replied to others asking about an EF around 70 or so,
there are 2 types of people who exhibit this condition:

1 - Highly Trained Athletes such as Lance Armstrong and other cyclists

2 - Heart Valve Patients whose Hearts are compensating for a Stenotic Aortic Valve.

Which category do you think best describes your situation?

'AL Capshaw'

Al,
I recently found out that before surgery my EF was 72 and thinking that the normal range went up to 65% I was just wondering how could it be so high before surgery. I did not have Stenotic Aortic Valve. Guess my heart was just compensating from the damaged mitral valve.

Cant speak to all conditions, but in my case, I was told that it appeared the left ventricle was able to empty a large percentage of the blood in that cavity, because so much was leaking backward through the mitral valve. Hence a high pre-op EF. Once the valve was repaired, it becomes much harder to pump the blood "in the right direction" so less blood is ejected. Not sure how much healing and remodeling will impact things, but I will know more in about 6 months.

.................. Guess my heart was just compensating from the damaged mitral valve.

True, Freddie! This is also how my cardio explained it to me.

My EF was 65-70 before surgery. After surgery it ranges between 50-55! I showed concern about heart failure. My cardio assured me not to worry about numbers! What is important is how one feels.

Back