Echo Results and Cardio Appt. on Monday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Ok. so I conjured up the courage and went to the records dept. today to get my echo results in preparation for my cardio. appt on Monday. I think I know what is coming :eek:

There seems to be significant change from this echo compared to the one from 9 months ago. Again...the concern is some of the readings seem a 'little better' but most are alot worse! Besides the echo, what is the next accurate test to determine valve problems? Is it the CT, MRI or angiogram? I have been told echos are the 'gold standard', but from what I have read, there seems to be quite a bit of inconsistency.

Here's a highlight of the results:

Compared to prior study, changes are noted:
Severe valvular aortic stenosis. The gradient is higher compared to previous study.
Mild to moderate valvular pulmonic stenosis. The pulmonic regurgitation is now moderate. (this is new from mild!)
Normal left and right ventricular size and systolic function.
Borderline left atrial enlargement (this is new!)
Mildly dilated ascending aorta.
Abnormal calcified valve. Moderate calcification.
Mitral Valve: The valve is normal. There is mild mitral regurgitation (this is new!)
The ejection franction is 64.5% Is this good or bad?

The AO root diam: 3.1cm
Asc Aorta: 3.4 cm (last report showed 3.9)
Ao max Peak Gradient: 90.3 mmhg (change from 66 last report)
AO mean PG: 47.5 mmHG (change from 36 last report)
AVA .56 cm2 (change from .83 cm2 last appt). I am small framed, so have been told to index for this.

It seems like the gradients have gone up alot and valve size has reduced substantially in 9 months.

Any advice, feedback would be greatly appreciated as always.. One of my concerns is not only the aortic valve, but the pulmonary valve seems to be getting worse, but probably isn't bad enough to warrant surgery. Anyone else in this position?
Thanks so much everyone for all your input and feedback. I will try and stay sane between now and Monday. :)

I can't really speak for the numbers but as far as tests go... I had 2 Echos done by two different hospitals and both concurred that I needed surgery on my valves. Other than that they did an EP study to figure out where the arrhythmia were coming from to see if they could do a Maze.

Wishing you good luck on Monday, Please keep us posted as to what the cardio has to say

Sounds to me like it's time to go surgeon shopping. Your EF isn't the worst, but it is high. Damage is beginning to occur and if not dealt with soon, could become permanent. The pulmonary valve may well be just fine after aortic replacement. It's all the pressure built up inside the heart making it leak worse.

Thanks for the well wishes, Laura!
Maryka, I am not on any medication at this time. I am wondering if I should be taking Cozaar?
Ross, thanks for the clarification on EF...didn't know if this was normal or not. I hope that you are right and pulmonary valve calms down once surgery is done.

Before surgery I was having echos done every 6 months, then just before surgery I had to go for angiogram and then a CT then the surgery. This is what my cardio got done and on the day of the angiogram he scheduled the appointment with the surgeon everything was done within one month. Wishing you all the best and good luck on Monday keep us posted.

I too have a Cardio appointment on Monday. But what Ross has said has got me a little confused. I apologize now if I hijack this thread.

Ross's reply say's that your EF is a little high at 64.5, yet since my replacement my EF has been estimated at 64 and 65%. I believe I was told that was normal?

Help I'm confused.
Is there a difference in % of ones EF before and after surgery? Like is there two different meanings before you have surgery and after surgery in regards of ones EF?

Bet I have confused everyone now;)

I too have a Cardio appointment on Monday. But what Ross has said has got me a little confused. I apologize now if I hijack this thread.

Ross's reply say's that your EF is a little high at 64.5, yet since my replacement my EF has been estimated at 64 and 65%. I believe I was told that was normal?

Help I'm confused.
Is there a difference in % of ones EF before and after surgery? Like is there two different meanings before you have surgery and after surgery in regards of ones EF?

Bet I have confused everyone now;)

Is there anyone who can answer this?

Thanks everyone for the 'good luck' wishes.
Freddie, I hope everything goes well for you on Monday. Keep us posted.
I, too am interested in learning more about the Ejection Fraction. Thanks jjay32 for your interpretation.

Normal/average EF are usually 55-65% No big deal there.
Mine had stayed in the normal range even though I had horrible symptoms.
It is not good if the aorta root is dialating.....you would not want to have extra repairs thrown into the mix.
My root relaxed once the messed up valve was replaced.
Your pressures are high and your valve is restricted.....I think you know what that means.
Come on, jump in the pool with the rest of us VR ppl. ;)

Thanks everyone for the 'good luck' wishes.
Freddie, I hope everything goes well for you on Monday. Keep us posted.
I, too am interested in learning more about the Ejection Fraction. Thanks jjay32 for your interpretation.

Thanks, and I too wish you the best tomorrow morning Ottawagal.

Cheers to both of us :)

Freddie, My echo results from the Mayo show "normal" ef is between 55-70%. I have seen it listed on some web sites from 50-75%. Either way, you should be good.

Kim

I do not have anything that I can add to what has been said. I did however want to wish you luck for your appointment tomorrow.

Hi -- good luck tomorrow -- whatever those readings are, you know how you feel and that hasn't changed!
Push that cardiologist who takes the summers off. I will be thinking of you,
Dale

Back