Echo and Decreased Post-Op Ejection Fraction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Money

Hi Folks.
I've seen some older posts about this issue so I would be curious to hear updates, new info., etc. I had my 3 month echo today and everything looked good except my ejection fraction. I had severe regurgitation in the aortic valve/aneurysm. I had the valve/ascending aorta replaced by a mechanical valve and dacron tube. My left ventricle that was enlarged prior to the surgery has gone back to the normal range. However, my ejection fraction decreased. How much? I'm not sure, but should find out tomorrow. I'm worried about this, so any help would be much appreciated. Any thoughts out there? Your replies will help ease a nervous mind. Thanks in advance for your help, again!!

How do you feel?

EF measurement is not as direct as some of the other measurements made during an echo. All four of the echo reports I've had, all done by different techs and evaluated by different cardiologists say something like "The Ejection fraction is estimated visually to be xx%".

I've seen many posts here from folks who've seen their EF numbers all over the map from one measurement to the next.

Also, if your ventricle has remodeled back to a more normal size, and the valve is now much more functional, your heart is much more efficient, and the EF may be less relevant than how you feel.

I guess I'm trying to say - don't fret until you have something to fret about.

As Johnny indicated, EF measurements are highly 'operator dependent'.

It would be a good idea to put your Echo Data on a Spread Sheet for easy comparison. I'm surprised that you are still having echo's every 3 months. That is a GOOD thing, but the usual practice is Once a Year unless there are indications that more frequent monitoring is called for (such as a Low EF), and then every 6 months is recommended.

'AL C'

another thing about EF, my cardiologist told me that everyone is different and there is not one perfect # for everyone. Before my surgery I was 85% EF, but had quite a pressure gradiant issue and slower heart rate. Post-OP with a much faster heart rate and much lower pressure gradiant, I would expect EF to drop considerably. My 1st post op echo is next week, so I'll post back and tell you how much it dropped. The cardiologist told me that it's better if it's over 50% for me, but anything above that is fine.

I'm not sure what is going on with this thread the first 2 posts are from 4 years ago then Al's is from an hour ago. MY guess would be thats why he was having the echos every 3 months because his post was written shortly after his surgery not four years after, like Als post surgggests.

Actually, I'm glad to see this. My LVEF went from 58% to 35% post surgery. Doc told me not to worry, that the remodeling of my heart would probably see that increase, although it might take a year or so. I've been worried about it but my doc was pretty ok with it.

Latest posts

Back