Don’t do things by half’s :P

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah_Louise

Hello everyone!!
Thank you so so so much for all the messages; especially Doug, Brian and Scott for my PM’s!

Firstly I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get back in touch, but like the title says I don’t do things by half’s.

Go back 2 week ago yesterday, Monday night my consultant came to see me went through all the risks etc, then signed the consent form I can honestly say I have never in 18 years laughed while signing a consent form as they aren’t nice things to go-through as you all know-but I did doing this one; my consultant is so dry!! I was worried I wasn’t getting a GA as the ward I was on everyone seemed to just be getting local anaesthetics! So first thing I asked was if I was getting a GA, to which he replied “yes, for both of our benefits, you so you can’t feel anything and us so if your complicated which you probably will be we can swear and you won’t hear it’ then he said ‘now Sarah we haven’t booked an ICU bed so don’t go changing the plan’ hahah!! He also told me there was a chance when they got in there in effect I would be having 3 ops in 1, and I could end up with 3 stents as well as a new pulmonary valve, and could be in anywhere between 2 and 6 hours!! (I was ‘only’ having it done via cath-6hrs?!?) and then longer if I needed OHS.

Tuesday came, toast and tea at 6am (who can eat at that time? And pre-op?) and op was 12pm, I was taken to theatre just before 12pm and never came out until 6pm!! I was down 6 closer to 7 hours!! I came round in absolute agony; can honestly say the only way to describe the pain was like 100s of red hot needles going in and out of my legs; me being complicated they had to use both legs not just one, so I ended up on IV morphine, IV paracetamol and codeine!! But even then the pain was worse than OHS!!

Wednesday I was in agony all night and all day but my consultant came to see me, and said normally right sided heart pressure should be 20% of your blood pressure…mine was the SAME as my blood pressure :eek2: so defiantly needed doing!! He’s changed my pulmonary valve and gave me 2 stents,
Then I was sent home!! Never wanted to stay in hospital as much as I did then as the pain was horrid and I had to sit in the back of a car for 3+ hours!!
Once at home I rang my GP who prescribed oral morphine, and codeine for me to take, then, last Sunday I noticed severe bruising, i was struggling to walk, move my foot, and when I sat down it felt like a lump was sticking in my near to where they had went in, in my left leg.

So I mentioned it to my community nurse on Monday night and she recommended I got in touch with my cardiac nurse on the Tuesday, which I did, I told her about the bruising, lump and pain and over the weekend I’d had a temp, then things started happening and fast :frown2: they wanted me back over at my cardiac hospital ASAP but there had been flash floods and ambulances weren’t getting through, so I was told to go to my local and I’d be admitted there to start with then transfer when possible. On the Wednesday they scanned the lump and realised I’d had a hole in the artery that was bleeding out and had caused a pouch of blood to form in my leg; the lump, which was getting bigger!

On the Friday I was blue lighted to my cardiac hospital for them to monitor me over the weekend with op on Monday to sort it out! So yesterday I had a minor op to stop the bleed and turn it into a clot!! (Yes my history and they make a clot!!) I had to have another scan today before they would discharge me to ensure it had stopped bleeding because I’m on the heparin there was a 50-50 chance it would re-bleed! But the scan this morning showed the majority of it had stopped bleeding, but the track that lead to it was still bleeding, although they’ve let me home and want to see me in 2 weeks to check both my heart and my groin! But I’ve to keep an eye on my pulses in my legs as there is a small chance the clot could come loose and block my artery again!! That risks there for the next 3 odd months!!

So like I said, I don’t do simple nor things by half, :rolleyes2: my pain isn’t as bad as it was although still uncomfortable so I’m still taking the oral morphine!

Hope you are all well, and thanks again for all the messages!!
Sarah xxxxx

Ohmygosh, Sarah -- sorry you have been through so much. Need to take the "Super" off me and award it to you -- SuperSarah! :thumbup: I am hoping/praying the pain will ease and you will get better and better now.

Sarah,
I told you some time back that I thought you were very brave and a wonderful young woman. Now I must amend that to say you are WONDER WOMAN!!! I shall have you in my prayers and hope that the bleeding subsides and that no clots form. You are an inspiration to us all.

OMG. I can't believe they sent you home the first time, much less the second time. Good heavens.

Medicare people, 30 day readmits, are you watching here????? They're going to start fining US hospitals for sending people home too fast, if they boomerang.

Glad you are on the mend! More good thoughts coming your way. I missed your positivity while you we're away...even when you describe all that you have been through, you're words still seem upbeat. Don't know how you do it...you are simply amazing!

Sarah,
I'm so sorry to hear all you have been through but so happy to hear you are home and hopefully on the mend. You are an amazingly brave, strong young woman with friends from all over having you in their thoughts and prayers. Keep on keeping on and before you know it, you'll be back on your feet and proceeding with your studies.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Sarah, I'm so glad your past the worst of it. I'm very sorry you are having such a hard time now. I was getting worried about you. Take it easy and I'm sure you'll be feeling so much better soon.

This really sounds like it sucked, and sucked twice in a row. On the positive side, and I do tend to look for positive sides in everything, you are ok, and everything will work out, and in just several short months this will be but a bed and uncomfortable memory.

To a speedy recovery and hope everything heals fast.

Hi Sarah
Reading what you have been through, makes me aware not to take things for granted. Being honest, at times I tend to
forget that I have had open-heart surgery, and whinge about the smallest problems.
Wishing you a great recovery, and keep us in the loop!
Sees Ya
Brian

Glad you are recovering, again!! I hope everything goes well for you. You're one tough cookie!

Tom

Hang in there Sarah!!! Haven't had an email, but figured you were having a rough time. You keep beating the odds though!! Talk to you soon kiddo;'-) Doug

Oh Sarah, First I am thrilled you were able to have everything done by cath and avoid OHS and that much longer recovery but sad to hear everything else you went thru. Hopefully by now things are much better
I know you have great docs but I'm shocked that your legs were in so much pain following a cath/caths and they just sent you home and didnt do every kind of test to see why you were in such pain especially with your history. I would NOT have been one of the staffs favorite people if that was Justin, especially since you dont complain unless things are bad. Thank God that your community nurse realised things were not normal following interventional caths for there to be so much pain, but what a shame you had to bleed for almost another week before they were able to help you. Altho they really couldnt do much abut the flooding. Poor thing.

Hopefully now most things are feeling much better. I know you're probably concerned about perm damage that the pressures on the right side were so high before the new valve and stents, IF it helps when Justin's condut was almst completely blocked less than 2 years after he got it, they were pretty surprised the pressures on the right side were more than the left, but shortly after that surgery everything was close to "his normal", hopefully since your young you'll have the same thing happen. and finally youll catch a break from this heart stuff and get on with enjoying life as a young adult. I imagine you can feel a difference already now that blood can actually get to your lungs with out putting your heart thru so much work.

Let your Mom know she is in my thoughts, you must give her as many grey hairs as Justin gives me :) But Im sure she would go thru anything to be Blessed enough to have a great daughter like you. It's just a shame we cant go thru the stuff instead of you guys, I know she probably feels the same way.

Take care and let us know how things are going

Thank you so much for all the messages!! Much appreciated!! :)
....................I know you have great docs but I'm shocked that your legs were in so much pain following a cath/caths and they just sent you home and didnt do every kind of test to see why you were in such pain especially with your history. I would NOT have been one of the staffs favorite people if that was Justin, especially since you dont complain unless things are bad. Thank God that your community nurse realised things were not normal following interventional caths for there to be so much pain, but what a shame you had to bleed for almost another week before they were able to help you............................................Let your Mom know she is in my thoughts, you must give her as many grey hairs as Justin gives me :) But Im sure she would go thru anything to be Blessed enough to have a great daughter like you. It's just a shame we cant go thru the stuff instead of you guys, I know she probably feels the same way.......................................
Lynn, because i'm 18 my mam & dad weren't allowed on the ward unless it was visiting times, so i could only see then 2.30-4pm and then 6-8pm on wednesday!! except on the tuesday pre-op they let them in and out all day, they came in at 10am, and stayed till 12pm when i went down and where on the ward with me from 6:30-9:30pm, so can't fault them there, but they have to stick to NHS trust rules, but they weren't happy with me coming home that soon either, to the point my mam slept in the same room with me wed, thurs and fri night!!
I got a letter today though (post op discharge letter) that said i had minimal pain on the wednesday and was able to control it with oral painkillers?!? somehow i don't think so?!? and it showed my pulmonary valve still had a leak on it :( but got a follow up with my cardiologist a week today, where i'll probably have a full MOT again; echo, ecg, chest x-ray.
I will do, thanks Lynn, Well the words 'simple', 'straightforward' and 'text book' aren't in mine or justins vocabulary-we like to keep out parents on your toes :p
Hope he's doing well :)

Thanks again everyone,
Love Sarah xxxxxxx

Thank you so much for all the messages!! Much appreciated!! :)

Lynn, because i'm 18 my mam & dad weren't allowed on the ward unless it was visiting times, so i could only see then 2.30-4pm and then 6-8pm on wednesday!! except on the tuesday pre-op they let them in and out all day, they came in at 10am, and stayed till 12pm when i went down and where on the ward with me from 6:30-9:30pm, so can't fault them there, but they have to stick to NHS trust rules, but they weren't happy with me coming home that soon either, to the point my mam slept in the same room with me wed, thurs and fri night!!
I got a letter today though (post op discharge letter) that said i had minimal pain on the wednesday and was able to control it with oral painkillers?!? somehow i don't think so?!? and it showed my pulmonary valve still had a leak on it :( but got a follow up with my cardiologist a week today, where i'll probably have a full MOT again; echo, ecg, chest x-ray.
I will do, thanks Lynn, Well the words 'simple', 'straightforward' and 'text book' aren't in mine or justins vocabulary-we like to keep out parents on your toes :p
Hope he's doing well :)

Thanks again everyone,
Love Sarah xxxxxxx

Boy that sure stinks, Justin was 19 with his last OHS and I was able to be in his room, with the couch to sleep on 24/7 even when he was in CICU, since he had a private room there was a couch for a parent 24/7... Yes ive said since you joined you remind me so much of Justin, it must be why you have such a special place in my heart, beside the fact you are such an awesome young lady

Boy that sure stinks, Justin was 19 with his last OHS and I was able to be in his room, with the couch to sleep on 24/7 even when he was in CICU, since he had a private room there was a couch for a parent 24/7... Yes ive said since you joined you remind me so much of Justin, it must be why you have such a special place in my heart, beside the fact you are such an awesome young lady
My OHS last year-17 at the time- they gave my mam a bed to sleep next to me, but it was a completely different ward this time, aww thank you :) xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back