Doing Cardioversion Tomorrow Morning!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Still in hospital doing all my walks and chair sitting basically taking care of myself little unsure on my feet still but overall pretty good for 5 days post op. Was on coumadim for a few days but it was stopped last night because of procedure tomorrow. I was worried because my INR was 1.4 this morning and by tomorrow I'll probably be normal but they told me I should be fine, not to be too concerned about stroke this early on.

The cardioversion will be done at 8:30am tomorrow and hope is my heart will be where it needs to be. If not pacemaker will be placed probably the next day. In Jesus name this procedure will get her done and I will be on my way!

Julian:
Sometimes our little tickers have a mind of their own!!! Sorry that yours is trying to be one of them...
Several friends have had cardioversion pretty soon after MVR, one who got a bovine in Dec. 2002 and the other who got a St. Jude in July 2004. First one had cardioversion twice, once while in the hospital and again after going home. Second time worked pretty good, but she still had a-flutter so she took warfarin for several years. The 2nd one had it done after going home, and that took care of the problem. Neither needed a pacemaker.
I'll keep you in my prayers that this will get 'er done and you'll be back on the road to recovery.

Last edited:
Julian ... sorry I did not see your thread earlier ... I went in for CV a week after my AVR ... it was super simple and I have had no rhythm issues since ... best of luck!!!!:thumbup:

Docs decided against cardioversion today. They think it won't work because of the type of rhythm I'm in, they might just put the pacemaker in tomorrow and let me go home Thursday, or if rhythm gets better by tomorrow or acceptable let me go home tomorrow and just monitor. Just wanted to give update, I don't want pacemaker but if that's what it takes I'm okay with it.

Julian - I think I'm in a situation similar to yours. After surgery my rhythm was all over the place -- fast, slow, then some long (15-20 second) pauses. It was the pauses that scared all of us, so I agreed right then to a pacemaker. So far, it is a non-issue. Yes, it is a bit irritable when things press on it (think of your car seatbelt), but I'm getting used to adjusting for that. My one possible concern is that my pacer is not set to give me a high enough maximum heart rate (currently limited to 130 BPM), so I cannot yet run. I can walk quickly on an incline, and I feel good enough to run, but I can't get my heart rate up high enough to support running. I have an appointment next week to discuss adjustments, so will see if doc is ready to "open it up" for me.

Don't worry about the possibility of having a pacemaker. Mine is my "angel on (near) my shoulder" keeping me safely alive.

Docs decided against cardioversion today. They think it won't work because of the type of rhythm I'm in, they might just put the pacemaker in tomorrow and let me go home Thursday, or if rhythm gets better by tomorrow or acceptable let me go home tomorrow and just monitor. Just wanted to give update, I don't want pacemaker but if that's what it takes I'm okay with it.

Sometimes things happen for a reason....hang in there ! :)

Latest posts

Back