Does a mosquito die after biting a person on anticoagulation?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember on a winter vacation trip to the Florida Keys where I stayed in a small, older motel (I hate new fancy stuff) and so we expected bugs of some sort but when this "Beast" dropped from the ceiling vent in the shower, I yelled.
It was a humongous Palmetto (cockroach).....fear factor stuff.
Of course the little lizards running on the walls were adorable.

Yep, that's the kind that fell on me in the garage. We don't give them fancy names in Texas - just nasty cockroaches. They've been around since the dinosaurs and probably will be here forever. I'm not sure what God was thinking when he made some of these bugs. I'm guessing that he needed something to laugh at. At least I had clothes on when I got attacked!!! :D

Lisa, hamsters don't seem to bite any more than rats do. I've found that the females in "breeding mode" will get kind of bitchy, but no more than any other rodent. When I was around 8 yrs old I had a little hamster breeding hobby, supplying all the neighbourhood kids, some of the Moms were less than pleased.
And we just love ratties too, they are way smarter than hamsters!

Taco and frito??

Taco and frito??

Well Lisa the names are cute byt not the tails:eek:

I have this phobia with tails on them ........OOOOOHHHHHHH:eek:

i give credit to those who can tolerate it,has nothing to do

with you and weird i give you credit for the bravery.

i only remember rats and mice on the farm after warfarin

ingestion it was a bad sight to watch them suffer like so.

But their tails haunted me forever. Still do without the poison.

zipper2 (DEB)

Speaking of rats w/long tails, a few months back, I did something that I really felt terrible about but I did what I thought was the most mericiful thing to do:

I looked out the kitchen window & saw my little Jack Russell Terrier (Petrie) tossing & slamming something on the ground. I hurried out the door because I thought he had a squirrel or worse, one of my newly adopted kittens! :eek: To my relief, it wasn't the kitten or a squirrel but a BIG rat w/the longest tail I've ever seen! :eek: I went back inside the house to get a pair of gloves so I could bury the rodent & I could see Petrie pawing & intently listening to something underneath a box my husband had left lying around. So, I went over to where the dog was & very gingerly picked up the box & low n behold, there was a little nest of about 8 or 10 little pink, tiny baby rats. They were probably newborn because they were so pink & almost transparent I could almost see their little hearts right thru their tiny little bodies. So I pryed the dog away from them, went & got a little shovel & scooped them into the shovel & went & threw them in the irrigation canal!

I felt so terrible doing this but their mother had been killed & they were just doomed to die & I just wanted to give them a more humane death then watching them starve to death or be killed by my dogs! :eek:

I know, I know, I'm a BAD girl! :(

Norma, you did what you had to at the time. I've had a similar experience:
I LOVE amphibians, really love them....now the story:
my Dad calls me and says that he has an injured toad in his yard. I go over to look, and Dad relates that he thinks the mower hit it. Well, the toad had no lower jaw, it was gone! My Dad is now freaking out, so I have to be calm. It's our family rule: only one person at a time may freak out. I pick up the toad and head over to the edge of the driveway and lay the toad on a rock. Dad is still freaking and demanding to know what I am going to do. I tell him to turn around cuz things are going to be nasty for a second. I had to take another rock and end his life (the toad's life--not Dad). It was so awful but many years in wildlife rehab taught me to consider quality of life before anything else. This poor little toad would have alot of pain and require hand feeding for the rest of his life, if he even survived at all.
Dad and I were very shaken up.....nature alone can be cruel even without our interference.

I've actually sat and watched them gourge and then fly off. Some flew off, some just exploded on my arm. :) Glutton!

I agree with Ross: when my INR is extra high, they explode on my arm; when it's extra low, they fly too far away for me to see them explode; normally they explode around 10-20 feet after take-off.

Unlike people, mosquitoes have a sensory nerve that tells them when to stop eating. If this sensory nerve is damaged, they will eat until they explode (kind of like what we do at Thanksgiving). That is not normal.

Norma, you did what you had to at the time. I've had a similar experience:
I LOVE amphibians, really love them....now the story:
my Dad calls me and says that he has an injured toad in his yard. I go over to look, and Dad relates that he thinks the mower hit it. Well, the toad had no lower jaw, it was gone! My Dad is now freaking out, so I have to be calm. It's our family rule: only one person at a time may freak out. I pick up the toad and head over to the edge of the driveway and lay the toad on a rock. Dad is still freaking and demanding to know what I am going to do. I tell him to turn around cuz things are going to be nasty for a second. I had to take another rock and end his life (the toad's life--not Dad). It was so awful but many years in wildlife rehab taught me to consider quality of life before anything else. This poor little toad would have alot of pain and require hand feeding for the rest of his life, if he even survived at all.
Dad and I were very shaken up.....nature alone can be cruel even without our interference.

Thanks Bina! Now I don't feel so guilty about what I felt I had to do ---- I've carried this guilt for quite a while in fact, I was so ashamed of what I did that I only conveyed it to my husband. :)

Bats,bats

Bats,bats

SO LETS HAVE SOME BATS:D

They luv misquitoes as diet and NO LONG TAILS:p

And it's close to Hallowe'en anyway.

zipper2 (DEB)

now that someone has broached the subject of bats and halloween, i want to know
what happens to zombies and vampires that eat/suck coumadin users.

do the zombies explode? that would be really cool. would it not affect the vampire
unless he/she turned into a bat?

ooh, ooh, and what about cannibals?

Wow dtread you have alot of time. I would like to thank you guys that was entertaining. Especially cos I was slipping into one of those pre surgery "What if" moments. This thread went on like my train of thought, on one track jumping to another and yet sadly, almost by destiny it was determined to derail. Science or not I like the alchohol and tobasco theory in my mind. Drink alot and eat cajun or mexican and then watch the little bastard stagger off and burst into flames. I agree the one thing that weirds me out is rats I get the heebie geebies if I see one. I grew up near Washington D.C. and spent a few months every year in Florida so HUGE RATS AND COCKROACHES used to run my dreams. Again thanks for that I couldn't of paid for more entertainment.

Real Floridians don't give them fancy names, either. The palmetto bug name for roaches came from elsewhere. They are just plain roaches. There is a huge bug that is similar, but different color, much bigger, that may be a palmetto bug, but it is not the same as a roach.

Yep, that's the kind that fell on me in the garage. We don't give them fancy names in Texas - just nasty cockroaches. They've been around since the dinosaurs and probably will be here forever. I'm not sure what God was thinking when he made some of these bugs. I'm guessing that he needed something to laugh at. At least I had clothes on when I got attacked!!! :D

confession time? ok, here goes

daughter in her teens was given a pet white mouse. turns out she was pregnant, had babies. then babies eventually got pregnant, had more babies. we made her separate them and get rid of most. turns out the separated ones were pregnant. finally got them down to ONE! yea - BUT (there's always a but, isn't there?) turns out she was pregnant. when she had the babies, hubby said enough was enough and flushed the babies right down the toilet. Didn't tell our daughter for years. can't recall what happened to the last mommy - maybe she died of loneliness from not having mouse friends.

daughter in her teens was given a pet white mouse. turns out she was pregnant, had babies.

the mouse?

Latest posts

Back