Do you have a tissue valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotguilty

I had AVR 10/24/2012 with a tissue valve @ 55 years old. Just curious to hear from fellow tissue valves and if you know tissue valve recipients how long you have had your valve and how old you were. I know I will probably need to get mine replaced some day. Survival rates say that people with mechanical valves live longer but I don't know if they take into account that you can get your tissue valve replaced after time. I had no blockages, a very healthy heart, exercise regularly, don't necessarily always eat right, and am in very good health before and after my AVR. I would not know I had any surgery except for the mini scar on my chest. I guess I am looking for inspiration on longevity, especially being a husband and father of 3. Thanks.. Bob

yes, I was 50 years old on 12/7/2007 when I had my aortic valve replaced with a tissue valve. I exercised all of my life, ate very well, and chose a tissue valve because I wanted to be able to continue horse riding without worrying about cumadin. Sure, we'll need a replacement someday. When that days happens will get it done. No worries here.

Hi Bob,

I'm 58 and going into surgery tomorrow morning to have the same valve put in as you have and I have four children still at home. My oldest is 17 and youngest is 12. I'm convinced that I've made the best decision I could with all of the information considered and as tomorrow is promised to nobody, I've learned to be thankful for each day as it arrives. My faith in Jesus Christ and what I know of the character and nature of God gives me peace. It sounds like you have made all of the right decisions from a health-wise and scientific perspective, it may help to learn to place all of this into God's hands

I had AVR 10/24/2012 with a tissue valve @ 55 years old. Just curious to hear from fellow tissue valves and if you know tissue valve recipients how long you have had your valve and how old you were. I know I will probably need to get mine replaced some day. Survival rates say that people with mechanical valves live longer but I don't know if they take into account that you can get your tissue valve replaced after time. I had no blockages, a very healthy heart, exercise regularly, don't necessarily always eat right, and am in very good health before and after my AVR. I would not know I had any surgery except for the mini scar on my chest. I guess I am looking for inspiration on longevity, especially being a husband and father of 3. Thanks.. Bob

Hi Bob,
I just had an tissue AVR on June 21, 2013. According to my surgeon, Dr. Cunningham at Keck Hospital USC, stated statistically a tissue valve lasts on those people after the age of 65, about 15 years. I don't know what it before the age of 65. In either case, I get the feeling many surgeons are not concerned about second time replacements because technology is advancing quickly in fact, FDA passed the Transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation on patients who are too sick or weak to undergo surgery. Without getting too technical (I am not a surgeon) I understand a new valve is carried through an artery in the groin and it sits within the old valve (valve-in-valve). From what I understand this type aortic replacement will be the gold standard in the future because there will be not cuts. So when it's our time for replacements, this will be available to us.

Bob, glad you specifically directed this thread at those having who have tissue valves.

Just had one put in 3 months ago. All is great except I can kind of feel it. I wasn't expecting that I'd feel it, but sometimes it feels like tapping on the inside of my sternum. I hear this is normal and I'm a thin guy, so maybe i feel it more than some. I am wondering if the feeling will go away with time.

Other than that, I am happy I chose tissue. I have no worries about diet, etc. It is clear to me that there is much technology ahead in valve technologies. Everything from TAVR replacement being common to the possibility of tissue engineered valves someday.

In terms of the studies you mentioned showing mechanical valve recipients living longer, I would question the position of the doctor giving the presentation. What procedures does he tend to do, how statistically significant are the studies he's referring to, how old are the studies, does he appear to be biased, does his speech happen to be sponsored by a medical device company of some kind, etc etc?

Ultimately, there is no perfect decision at this point, and any choice will be a good one. I would go with whatever your gut points you too.

I was 41 in 2004 when I received my first tissue valve. Due to an aneurysm needing repair, I also had an AVR redo in 2011 almost 7 years after the first surgery. The original valve was still functioning OK, however had a small increase in pressure since it was implanted. Rather than have an AVR redo in another 3-4 years which was surgeons estimated remaining service life of the original AVR, based on the pressure increase in the 7 years, it was decided to do the redo as the same time as aneurysm repair.

I have tissue mitral valve for about 5 1/2 years. Last checkup and ECHO showed all is well. :)

I've only had my tissue valve for 2.5 years, and I was 63 years old at time of implant. I chose tissue for several reasons. The easy one was that Cleveland Clinic is now using (IIRC) about 85% tissue valves, regardless of patient age at implant time. They feel that confident that the newest tissue valves will last.

As for valve life span, the 15 year estimate is for the "second generation" valves, which are the oldest valves for which there exists long term statistical data regarding valve life. The manufacturers all have tests that project the lifespan of the current "third generation" valves to be substantially longer than the previous generation valves, thus their confidence in implanting so many of them in patients so young.

So, while we may not have concrete statistical history to substantiate the claim that these newer valves will last longer, we do have the manufacturers' projections and the agreement of the top-ranked heart surgery center in the country. There are no guarantees, but this seems like a decent bet at this time.

The surgeon told me that the newer tissue valves have an 85% chance of being functional at 15 years. This sort of implies that the majority will make it to at least twenty years. 15 years is a long time for technology to advance, anyway.

Last edited:

Watch the video on the 3rd gen St. Jude Trifecta valve. They run these valves rapidly at a very fast pace to stress test them to see how theyll perform at 1 year, 5 years, etc. Interesting they said they got 20-25 years and they just kept going. I know body chemistry has an additional effect, but it does appear that the 3rd gen valves may help get us to the next great thing. Whether that's a TAVR replacement, tissue engineered replacement, or more conclusive evidence to support aspirin only therapy for a mechanical.

Had the same manufaturer valve as you, only in a size 21mm. Received it, May 2008, was 56 at the. Go for 6 month chats with my cardiologist with yearly echos. All if working just perfectly. No problems, no issues.

had one at 51 still going strong nearly 6 years later, so glad picked tissue as cert didnt want to be on coumadin and the problems that may arise from it, hopefully my little porkie pig will last a lot longer, honk honk

got mine (porcine) at age 63. Doing fine 8 1/2 years later. Only major surgery I've had in that time was total knee replacement four months ago. Had heart checked out prior to the surgery -- all was well.

I've only had my tissue valve for 2.5 years, and I was 63 years old at time of implant. I chose tissue for several reasons. The easy one was that Cleveland Clinic is now using (IIRC) about 85% tissue valves, regardless of patient age at implant time. They feel that confident that the newest tissue valves will last.

As for valve life span, the 15 year estimate is for the "second generation" valves, which are the oldest valves for which there exists long term statistical data regarding valve life. The manufacturers all have tests that project the lifespan of the current "third generation" valves to be substantially longer than the previous generation valves, thus their confidence in implanting so many of them in patients so young.

So, while we may not have concrete statistical history to substantiate the claim that these newer valves will last longer, we do have the manufacturers' projections and the agreement of the top-ranked heart surgery center in the country. There are no guarantees, but this seems like a decent bet at this time.

That is exactly the conversation I had with my Mass General surgeon.
Mass General is always listed in the top five of U.S. heart centers.

I received a tissue valve in 2005 when I was 60 years old. I was told at the time that the valve should last 10 - 15 years. I decided to go with the tissue valve because I did not want to take Coumidin for the rest of my life. In December of 2010 I went for my yearly echo and was told that I would need to have the tissue valve replacement as it had calcified. I was very surprised because I thought it would last at least 10 years but it had only been just over 5 years. I decided at that point to receive a mechanical valve even thought I had fears of taking coumidin. I have to say that I am very glad that I made that decision. I just had my 2 year check up and the valve is working a one and coumidin has not been an issue for me. It is just another pill that I have to take every day and I just go on with my life. If I had it to do over again I would have chosen a mechanical valve from the start.

Do you mind me asking which make and model did you have the first time

Also did they say why it calcified so quickly

I received a tissue valve in 2005 when I was 60 years old. I was told at the time that the valve should last 10 - 15 years. I decided to go with the tissue valve because I did not want to take Coumidin for the rest of my life. In December of 2010 I went for my yearly echo and was told that I would need to have the tissue valve replacement as it had calcified. I was very surprised because I thought it would last at least 10 years but it had only been just over 5 years. I decided at that point to receive a mechanical valve even thought I had fears of taking coumidin. I have to say that I am very glad that I made that decision. I just had my 2 year check up and the valve is working a one and coumidin has not been an issue for me. It is just another pill that I have to take every day and I just go on with my life. If I had it to do over again I would have chosen a mechanical valve from the start.

Back