Dizziness at rest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wileyg

Hi just wondering if anyone with bicuspid valve gets dizzy at rest? I went cardio bout a year ago , he said all good come back in 3 yrs . I feel good exercising and running and stuff but when I go to bed i wake up a few times a night feeling like I'm going to faint and dizzy , plus few panic attacks but all only at night . I do feel a alot better when I'm active .
Any ideas would be great cheers shane

Have you monitored your heart rate over time and at varying levels of activity? There is a condition called bradycardia (low heart rate) that affects some patients. We suspect that I had this prior to my valve replacement. There were a few times at the gym when I was getting ready to start running on a treadmill and was watching my heart rate, and my heart would just keep getting slower, and slower. . . and slower. A couple of times I remember telling myself "You'd better get moving or that sucker might just stop!" After my valve replacement, it did just stop - several times, and for periods of 15 to 20 seconds at a time. I now have a pacemaker to avoid such embarrasing circumstances.

I would definitely mention this to your cardio. They can probably prescribe a 24-hour monitor (portable device) to record what your heart rate is doing. From that they can determine if there is anything to worry about.

Yeah never been tested like that, Na Freddie not on any meds plus this has only been happening last two weekd
Cheers

I think Steve has a good point! With my complete heart block post maze procedure, my resting rate is 40 or less. AKA faint! Thank goodness for the pacemaker!

I doubt its your heart at all. As others have said check your blood pressure and pulse rate, if they are within normal limits, either way see a doctor.

Yeah my normal doc thinks its anxiety / stress as I had normal blood pressure today and a ECG 2weeks ago that came back normal I'm booked in for cardiologist on 22 feb for check up
Cheers

Hey I was getting light headed whilst stationary bp was fine overnight heart monitor showed nothing
Me and my local doc put it down to me being dehydrated. As the valve isn't working properly when my blood thickened it put extra pressure on everything else. Since quitting top level sport and drinking plenty of water I have minimised the dizzy spells but still do get them from time to time.

I was getting dizzy starting about 6 months post-op, I think. Or maybe 3 months. Can't remember. Anyway, I think if you look in my old posts, you'll see me talking about it. (I don't post much). It got really bad at times, where I'd feel dizzy several times a day. Didn't wake up with it. Usually when I was just chilling out in bed, using my computer, but other times too. Twice when I was driving (pulled over til I felt better). Mostly I'd just get dizzy and maybe sick-ish, but occasionally I'd be so bad I almost threw up, and once or twice i actually did.

I have a wrist blood pressure monitor, and I'd throw it on when the dizziness happened. Normal pressure range, normal heartbeat. Went to the ER a few times, they said everything was normal. Doctors said it was unrelated to my surgery. Did a scan of my brain to check for brain aneurysms, they said I was clean. Never have figured out the cause.

What helped a lot, and I mean A LOT, was using Reiki. Reiki is an energy healing modality. The first Reiki treatment I got, the vertigo went away for two whole weeks, which was amazing, because I'd had it about 3 times a day for a week or two straight. When it came back, I couldn't afford to keep going, so I got trained in it myself, and became a Kundalini Reiki Master so I could self-treat every day, and treat my kids too. Then I trained my husband to be a Reiki Master too, and he gives it to me daily (for some reason his Reiki works better on me than mine).

The Reiki hasn't eliminated the problem, but helps a ton. When I do it regularly, the vertigo episodes are few and far between. When I don't, they come back worse. A healthy, all natural diet of whole foods--especially high raw or all raw diet--helps a lot too, as it's very healing. Still don't know the cause, and that makes me nervous, and it might not be the same cause as your situation, but i hope this helps somehow. :)

By the way, I wasn't suggesting using Reiki instead of seeing a doctor--definitely see a doctor! Then when they blow you off and act like you're a hypochondriac (as they are apt to do when the first test or two shows up negative) go get some Reiki and eat raw food. ;-)

Oh, and one more thought...is it ONLY while you're resting/sleeping? Is there any chance you have sleep apnea or narcolepsy? It's not a typical symptom, but here's an article about migraines and sleep apnea, and it mentions dizziness:

http://doctorstevenpark.com/the-connection-between-migraines-sleep-breathing-problems

Could be what my cardiologist called "positional vertigo". I'd get very dizzy just turning over in bed or when I would look up quickly, and I mean really dizzy.
Has something to do with the otolith organs and their crystals in the ear. Abnormal rhythmic eye movements (nystagmus) also accompany an episode. Next time you get a dizzy spell, touch your closed eyes, you'll feel that movement, if present. I did.
And it went away on it's own.

Latest posts

Back