Developed chills and marginal fever 11 weeks post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruce:

I had similar symptoms about 3-4 weeks post-op. Woke up feeling crappy on Monday, fever, chills, hurt all over. After monitoring it for 2 days, I went to my family doctor. He ordered blood cultures, which were negative. However, he said he's seen enough endocarditis that he didn't want to assume it wasn't. At least one of his patients over the years has died from endocarditis -- and she was an RN, I believe he said without any further details.
By Thursday, I was back to normal -- it as like a veil had been lifted from over my head. Still sore from my surgery, but no more fever, chills, etc. My doctor surmised it was a short-lived viral infection, due to my immune system being compromised by the surgery.

Steve, like bubbles and the stock market! Knowing you got the chillies, I'm investing in an American Nat Gas Co which serves Chicago!

Hey catwoman, walked into a viral pit when I resurfaced for work on Monday. Found out today that my co-works were side lined even into last week due to this virus. No question in my mind now what I contracted, especially as my vitals are about back to where they were before I got side lined by the plague. Especially glad my temp is now in the lower normal range.

Really kids, did you discover like I did, that getting a virus Post Op is waaay worse then Pre Op?

Posted on another thread but it works here...am 8 wks post-op, AVR, coughing ever since. On water pills, potassium which does a number on your stomach-lost from 144lbs to 128lbs in only a few weeks and it wasn't all water!!! Just getting my alimentary system working, my fever is roughly at 99 most of the time or a little more. (My normal temp is 97.9 to 98.3 pretty much max).Only getting UP to a quarter mile on my treadmill. One Dr. Did say I had viral bronchitis but that was WEEKS ago. The OTHER Drs just ignore it and look at my awesome new valve (it really is), and just worry about if the temp gets up past 101.3. But what about me, here????!
Ideas and/or experience very welcome, here!! Michellemar

Michelle - I can't put an exact date to it, but I had a nasty cough (non-productive coughing fits so bad I couldn't carry on a conversation) for about two months post-op. . . then abruptly it just went away. Hang in there on the cough, it may just exit.

Latest posts

Back