Developed chills and marginal fever 11 weeks post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdryer

Hi gang

Started work on June 6. In the afternoon of the second day I developed a fever and chills. It feels similar to the symptoms after surgery. The temp is now in the upper limits of the normal range but still have the chills and feeling weak and achy. Do not have a cold,feels kind of like the flu.

I was doing incredibly good and now this. Should I be seeking medical diagnosis, or do I write it off to a virus?

Thanks

Bdryer,
Sorry to hear you are having a set back. I am a firm believer in 'when in doubt, check it out'.
Always, better to be safe than sorry. I would be making a call to the doc. especially if you aren't feeling any better.
Keep us posted.

Bruce, I would head to an ER ...I know wait times can unbearable BUT here I just outline my cardiac issues and usually get in right away and they start bloodwork on me in the triage and will fast track further tests if needed ...but DO IT NOW don't take any chances....hey its what 10pm there

Bruce, I would agree with Greg and go get it checked out. If it turns out to be something not as urgent as you are thinking, it will at least calm your mind and let you focus on other things.

Bruce - By now I hope you've been checked out by the medics. When I developed some odd symptoms post-op (low-grade fever, chills, no energy, etc.) I discussed it with my cardio and he advised me to go to the ER and get it checked out. They wanted to rule out any possibility of endocarditis. If it is endocarditis, they can treat it quite effectively with meds, as long as it is discovered early. Wait too long and it gets rougher to treat. Mine turned out to be something totally unrelated, and totally treatable.

Hi kids

Thanks for motivating me to get checked out by a Dr. Just got back. No Endocarditis was diagnosed. The Dr. was very firm in telling me that because of my prosthetic heart valve, should any sign of cold flu symptoms be prevalent, to get endocarditis ruled out within 48 hrs. Welcome to my new life!

Thanks to all of you who responded!

Glad to hear that endocarditis was ruled out! This is a good reminder for all of us to promptly seek medical attention when a fever is involved to rule out BE.

Whew......
spaz.gif

Hello,
I've also been fighting an on again, off again temp. !st thing they did was a double blood draw & culture. Since it turned out negative now they say the temp I keep running on & off is probably an autoimmune response. Boy do I feel crappy when I have it. Dr's in Cleveland seem to think my body is still traumatized (ME TOO) from the OHS & is resetting itself.
Good Luck!!
Daiva

It's a good idea to keep track of your temp and mark it down. Fever is not a good thing to have and
apparently there are still people sick with sore throats, etc.
Glad you are okay !!

OMG is this the new us after valve replacement. I've contracted what appears to be a Mickey mouse little bug and come the early afternoon I'm weak, fending off the chills and a dough head. Do not even have a fever anymore yet I'm very weak with a very limited appetite with a touch of the body aches.

My BP is up 10 points systolic and diastolic. Was like mid 130 to mid 80. Now I'm mid 140 and mid 90. My heart is producing about 82 BPM should be in the low 60's. Took an extra 50 mg of metoprolol today.

I'm basically 3 mths post op and was very much back to "me". The GP was adamant I did not have endocarditis, even though no blood tests were conducted.

I suppose this is how it will be from now on.

I'm giving water skiing the boot after decades of it. Our lakes are nothing but irrigation ponds/sloughs or dams full of bacteria [and at times a high fecal count]. I've gotten sick after a session, I can only imagine a worse case scenario now, [possible endocarditis]. This viral experience has given me a wake up call. I was always the coldest guy in the boat, post op I'll be a popsicle as I really feel the cold. Life in the high country at 3500 ft with no real summers. Most every one in N America is experiencing a heat wave and here our furnaces run every day.

Any how, does a virus [cold/flu] hit us harder then the average folk. From this experience I'm voting "yes". Input please gang.

I'm hit and miss with checking my vitals. Did not pay much mind to my temperature, that is until now. As Bina also stated, knowing your temperature swings is important.

Bruce - You're not the only one with odd weather. Here in Chicago it just dropped 45 degrees over night. I'm thinking it is a good thing I didn't store the snow blower yet!

Just so you don't feel all alone in the cold, I used to be the one who never needed heavy blankets or heavy clothing. Since I started meds for hypertension, I've been an icicle. I even need a blanket in the summer.

OMG is this the new us after valve replacement. I've contracted what appears to be a Mickey mouse little bug and come the early afternoon I'm weak, fending off the chills and a dough head. Do not even have a fever anymore yet I'm very weak with a very limited appetite with a touch of the body aches.

My BP is up 10 points systolic and diastolic. Was like mid 130 to mid 80. Now I'm mid 140 and mid 90. My heart is producing about 82 BPM should be in the low 60's. Took an extra 50 mg of metoprolol today.

I'm basically 3 mths post op and was very much back to "me". The GP was adamant I did not have endocarditis, even though no blood tests were conducted.

I suppose this is how it will be from now on.

I'm giving water skiing the boot after decades of it. Our lakes are nothing but irrigation ponds/sloughs or dams full of bacteria [and at times a high fecal count]. I've gotten sick after a session, I can only imagine a worse case scenario now, [possible endocarditis]. This viral experience has given me a wake up call. I was always the coldest guy in the boat, post op I'll be a popsicle as I really feel the cold. Life in the high country at 3500 ft with no real summers. Most every one in N America is experiencing a heat wave and here our furnaces run every day.

Any how, does a virus [cold/flu] hit us harder then the average folk. From this experience I'm voting "yes". Input please gang.

Chances are good you don't have BE OR post op infection, but I'm curious, how was the GP "adamant I did not have endocarditis, even though no blood tests were conducted."? I'm guessing if he didn't do any basic blood work he probably also didn't order any other testing, so how did he rule out BE?

Last edited:
Lyn - Good question. Maybe there is a "cardinal" symptom of BE that was not present? I don't know if there is such a list, nor do I know the entire list of symptoms presented, just guessing.

Chances are good you don't have BE OR post op infection, but I'm curious, how was the GP "adamant I did not have endocarditis, even though no blood tests were conducted."? I'm guessing if he didn't do any basic blood work he didn't probably also didn't order any other testing, so how did he rule out BE?

I'm with Lyn on this one. I would guess the odds of it being BE are extremely slim, however, I would never be confident in a Dr. telling me I didn't have it just by looking at me! There is NO way he can know if you have this or something else going on without blood work.

"No blood tests no conclusive results can be made for a determination of endocarditis". I'm with the program now!. Fortunately my temp is now in the lower normal range and feeling a heck of a lot more like me. Went to work today, [reduced 5 hr shift] came home and did lovely 30 km bike ride. BP is still 10 pts higher but zero chills or weakness, etc.

What an eye opener. It is obvious that my body's healing and immune system is working OT dealing with the MAV and graft of the ascending aorta. Any little bug, most defiantly compromises our systems. So I have found out first hand.

Hence forth on, any flu symptoms will be followed by blood testing within 48 hrs! This ride was just to scary. I never thought I would feel again what I experienced Post Op and sure as heck the Flu did it.

I need to move into a bubble, anyone have one for sale?

Thanks folks for hanging in their for me!

Bruce

Latest posts

Back