decisions, decisions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfay

Well, I just talked to the EP Dr. at the Mayo clinic. They met about me and presented the two options that I knew they were going to: try another ablation or, take an antiarrhythmic. Obviously, if one doesn't work, we have the other to try.

If I go with the ablation, they are definitely going to go across my septum into the left side of my heart. This may mean that they accidentily punch through the bovine patch because they don't know exactly how much of a margin they have to go around it. If they tear a whole in it, and it's big enough, they may have to close it with a device (forgot what it is called) assuming the patch would support it, or, if it is bad enough, they would have to go in and operate. There is also the very real possibility that they won't be able to find anything or that it will be so deep in my heart tissue that they can't burn it. I was so excited about this option when it was presented to me last time because I was so sure it would work. Now, I know that that isn't necessarily the case. Also, that last ablation is still fresh in my mind and this one would be done the same way, wide awake, NO meds. Can I just say that it sucks?

The problem with the anti-arrhythmics is their obvious side effects and a (very) small chance of a deadly rhythm. Also, because of the condition of my heart, I can't take all of them, so the one they are pretty much recommending is Tikosyn. I think Amiodarone would be an option but they have ruled it out because of my age. If I go this route, I am on this basically for the rest of my life or as long as I don't want to have these arrhythmias.

I can't say that I'm thrilled that this is what I have been left with from my surgery. I grew up taking a ton of meds for my heart and after I had my first surgery, I have for the most part, been drug free. If I had it to do all over again, I honestly can't say if I'd willingly walk into that OR again. I'm not sure what I'll decide to do.

Kim

I myself have had two ablations & am scheduled for a maze procedure if I decide to have my surgery next month. I did not relish either one of them & do not relish my upcoming surgery.

I know that it is a hard decision, and I wish you the best. I'm sorry I cannot give you any advice for it is your decision. I can only hope that whatever decision you make will help you, and that you would be arrhythmia free. Good luck to you & your family.

I'm so sorry that you feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Prior to my MVR, my issue was continual arrhythmia, similar to what you are describing. I had a laundry list of antiarrhythmics that were tried on me - none of which completely controlled it, or even half of it. Although some did a better job than others. They did an EPS and couldn't find anything to ablade. Mine was a direct outcome of my shot valve. Most went away with the valve replacement.

I will pray for clarity for you as you make this decision.

Geesh Kimmie,

You have a pretty tough decision to make & I wish I had the magic answer or wand to make it easier for you but unfortunately I don't. :(

Just from the sheer description of your ablation & the risk that they may puncture your bovine patch, I would have to pick the lesser of two evils & go with the medication. If that doesn't work, well then you have the other option which is the ablation. I know none of us like having to add more meds to our plates but sometimes you've got to give that a try before going with the more drastic measure?

Whatever you decide, I pray that it works for you & that you are at peace with your decision!

Take care!

Oh, I'm so sorry you have to make this choice. I'm sure you were hoping there would be an easy solution you could agree to and it would be over. My prayers are with you as you weigh your options. May you find wisdom and peace.

I am sorry, Kim, you are somehow stuck with these options. I would take the medication which is the less evil of the two, as Norma said. And who knows, with continuous prayers and miracles happening all the time, your heart may reach a point where you may not need the medication later.

Best of luck and prayers to make the right decision. :)

You know, the Tikosyn has it's own problems. There are a lot of meds you can't take while you are on it including some antibiotics and meds for stomach issues like tagament. If you have vomiting or diarrhea, you need to go to the hospital because if your potassium gets out of whack at all, it makes you much more susceptiable to having deadly rhythms. This is one of my big concerns about this drug. I don't have a great stomach and have been known to get severly dehydrated several times a year with stomach issues. Also, if I forget more than one dose, I'd have to go back into the hospital to get back on it.

If it weren't for the dehydration concern, I'd probably choose this option. But I have spent more time in the ER than I care to for fluids and I'd hate to think that I'd be risking my life now when that happens. It also seems to happen alot when we are travelling and a hospital may not be readily available to me.

It's great you still have some treatment options available, but then the realities of these treatments introduce their own potential problems. This, like everything about your heart, is complicated and difficult. Maybe with some time to consider it, your choice of which treatment to try first will become more evident. We are all pulling for you and a future free from the constantly "off" beat.

Hi Kim, Im sorry to see that your ablation hasnt worked for you (at least not yet anyway)

Has your EP said anything to you about dronedarone (multaq). It is a similar drug to amiodarone (cordarone) but should have fewer side effects. Like you I also took amiodarone but had to stop due to side effects, but my EP has recommended dronedarone for me possibly in the autumn.

PS..I never did take ''fleicanide'' :cool:

Hi Kim, Im sorry to see that your ablation hasnt worked for you (at least not yet anyway)

Has your EP said anything to you about dronedarone (multaq). It is a similar drug to amiodarone (cordarone) but should have fewer side effects. Like you I also took amiodarone but had to stop due to side effects, but my EP has recommended dronedarone for me possibly in the autumn.

PS..I never did take ''fleicanide'' :cool:

Jacqui, You are the second person to mention this drug to me today. My cardio actually called me tonight to talk about my conversation with the EP guy yesterday and she said this new drug, dronedarone, would be an option for me if the others don't work. I hope that if you get to go on it, it helps you feel better.

Kim

Latest posts

Back