Dazed and confused

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piglet

Hi everyone! I'm so happy I found this site, I hope I don't wear everyone out with too many question, cause I have alot. I'm 51 now, had native valve infective endorcarditis which caused me to require aortic valve replacement. I had recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was just getting used to that when I started having some shortness of breath. I went to the doc and he gave me a puffer. Less than a week later it was bad enough that I went to the emerg. (april 18 2011) That was when all heck broke loose and the next thing I knew I had a Zipper (april 29) I still feel a little shell-shocked. So much has happened that I feel a bit like I'm in someone elses body. I don't remember alot, I think it happened too fast for me to wrap my brain around.
I've been reading alot of the post on here and it seems like many of you are on blood thinners of some kind. I was at first but they were stopped weeks ago. I have an appointment with a cardiologist (first one since release) so I will ask him about it. The impression I keep getting from all the doctors is that they don't quite know what to do with me because of all the immune suppressants I am on. before the rheumatoid thing 2 years ago I hadn't been to a doctor in years. I'm going to start making a list of questions to ask him but I don't want to overwhelm him right away. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Hi everyone! I'm so happy I found this site, I hope I don't wear everyone out with too many question, cause I have alot. I'm 51 now, had native valve infective endorcarditis which caused me to require aortic valve replacement. I had recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was just getting used to that when I started having some shortness of breath. I went to the doc and he gave me a puffer. Less than a week later it was bad enough that I went to the emerg. (april 18 2011) That was when all heck broke loose and the next thing I knew I had a Zipper (april 29) I still feel a little shell-shocked. So much has happened that I feel a bit like I'm in someone elses body. I don't remember alot, I think it happened too fast for me to wrap my brain around.
I've been reading alot of the post on here and it seems like many of you are on blood thinners of some kind. I was at first but they were stopped weeks ago. I have an appointment with a cardiologist (first one since release) so I will ask him about it. The impression I keep getting from all the doctors is that they don't quite know what to do with me because of all the immune suppressants I am on. before the rheumatoid thing 2 years ago I hadn't been to a doctor in years. I'm going to start making a list of questions to ask him but I don't want to overwhelm him right away. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Hi, Sorry to hear you've bn dealing with so much recently. Is your name, because you have a pig valve? If so that would be why you aren't on Coumadin (Blood thinner) unless you have another reason to need anticoagulants, then ou don't need any for tissue valves, like you do with a mechanical valve. HTH

My name is sort of because, yes I do have a pig valve, but funnily enough it has been my nick-name since childhood, I guess life is like that sometimes. Thanks for clearing that up. Next question, what's HTH :/

I know a little of what you are feeling. My first OHS was an emergency and I, too, needed time to wrap my head around it. When it all happens so fast and we are so ill that we need emergency OHS, it's not surprising we need time to process all that has happened to us.

Make a list of your questions so you can discuss the most important things with your cardiologist. If you rely on memory, you might forget to ask things that really matter to you.

Take it slow with your healing, both physical and emotionally. OHS is tough stuff and we all need to recover at our own rate.
Please let us know how we can help.
We will never be tired of your questions....... ask away. :)

Hello and welcome, Piglet. That was also a nickname that I had for my chubby Labrador dog. HA HA HA
Thanks for the welcome Bina
I hope I'm not often compared to a chubby dog! LOL
My sister has a rather portly Lab and we call her the "house hippo"

Welcome to the forum Piglet (love Nanaimo). I know exactly how you feel about being shell-shocked - my OHS was said and done in 4 days (maybe it was 5 days?), in any case, take it one day at a time.

Please don't be hesitant about asking to many questions at this first appointment, ask them, ask them all and write down the answers. You'll be surprised on how one question can lead into another question as the doctor does his explaining the first question. It's all so much to take in. If at all possible, bring someone with you just in case you do miss something.

Thanks Freddie, love you profile pic, what a beautiful dog! I love it here too, especially now that we finally have a summer. I am born and raised here so not much to compare it to but the way I look at it, why mess with a good thing. I do plan on taking my husband with me to the appointment this week, he's on holidays right now.

Make sure your husband writes things down correctly:biggrin2::biggrin2:
(hope he's not fainting kind :biggrin2: just kidding Canadian style :thumbup:)

I also had little time to adjust to the need for surgery. I had always been told I would not need valve surgery due to mild mitral regurg. July '05 I was told I needed valve surgery sooner, not later. Aug 3rd I met the surgeon and Aug 15th had the surgery. For me too it was a whirlwind but almost better than knowing and worrying for months that I would need surgery.

I will take time to adjust but thankfully you are fixed!

Hi Piglet! Sorry I'm a bit late in welcoming you to this wonderful community! So glad you found us and don't be shy about asking questions. We're here to offer help and hope to you and perhaps even put a smile or two on your face while we're at it! :)

Best of luck with your upcoming appointment. Let us know what the doc says.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. It sure helps to read all of your experiences and have all this support from those who have been there. I wish I had found you guys weeks ago, I went through alot of depression, alot of that due to nicotine withdrawal I'm sure, menopause probably didn't help either. I'm afraid I didn't make a very good patient. I'm sure the hospital was glad to see me leave.
I hope that I can help ease the struggle for those who are and have faced this.

Back