cuoricino's surgery date SEPT. 23

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuoricino

www.thoughtsfromabroad.com
yikes!

i can talk pretty big game, but when i heard today that i'll be going under the knife in two weeks, i got the wind knocked out of me.

a little shaken up, but still thinking positive!!

i will be having AV replacement surgery + ascending aorta aneurysm repair with Doctor Roberto Di Bartolomeo in the Sant'Orsola Hospital in Bologna.

...let's hope I'll be able to get some sleep before then. :eek:

Sarete nelle mie preghiere. I look forward to your post op thread.

Sento che l'Italia ha grande sanità (Is that right? My Italian is a little rusty)
My family has a villa on the island of Grado. My mother speaks of retiring there. She talks about the healthcare system in Italy as if it is paradise.
So have faith that you are in good hands.

I know what you I felt the same way when I first got the date. Try to relax and think positive. I will be thinking about you and praying for your surgery and swift recovery.

God Bless,
Lori

This is good news. It means you will be over that mountain sooner than later. Try and keep positive and don't forget to check in here and vent if you need to.

We are all here for you!

Hugs,

Yes, when your cardio uses the "S" work it takes some getting used to. For days afterward I half expected him to call to say that it was mistake. A month later, however, I know it was not. I will be there the day before you, Cuoricino, I look forward to exchanging recovery stories with you later. Ciao!

yup, it somehow makes it all "real", it's no longer in 3 months, or 6 weeks, it's September 23rd! and that;s THIS month, not next month or the one after.

Hang in there, many of us here had to resort to anti-anxiety and/or sleeping pills in the last few weeks/days before. If it helps keep your sanity, and your good health and sleeping patterns, it is worth it.

You'll have lots to do between now and then, take care and we'll be following your journey to the good side of the mountain.

Post any questions, and even just come and let off steam, if you need to.

E 'bene che tu ora sappiamo la data. Vi auguro buona fortuna e salute. Si prega di tenere a noi inviati.
In other words....good luck....if you can get an anti-anxiety drug it takes the edge off...Xanex did it for me..

Linda

Have you decided on WHICH Replacement Valve you want to use?

The Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve has the longest record for durability, 20 years on 'older patients' (over 60). Some of our younger Female members who wanted to have the children before going mechanical got 10 years of good service out of their Bovine Tissue Valves. Porcine Valves typically have a shorter 'lifespan' and some have had 'premature failures'.

If your surgeon is still thinking Valve sparing, be sure to have a Plan B 'just in case' it is not viable after he gets in there.

Buena Suerte (I know, it's not Italian)

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you all for your support!! And I must say I'm very impressed with all this Italian! :)

Al, to answer your question, my surgeon is still thinking valve sparing but no one is letting me get too optomistic. I guess my valve's in pretty bad shape, but they're not giving up hope until they're in there. I actually haven't thought about "which" tissue valve. No one has really given me a choice so far. I will be sure to do my research and I'm glad you're around to let me know these good tidbits about valves especially because I want to put off surgery number two as long as possible!!

T minus 15 and counting!! eek!

PS- surprisingly, i slept great last night. could have been the exhausting emotional day. let's hope it lasts!! (the sleep, not the exhausting emotions ;p)

So glad you had a great sleep. It is impt! I am sure it is the exhaustion. If I can't sleep, I will take 50mg of Gravol. Seems to do the trick!

Thinking of ya,

speaking of sleeping... i just can't stop!

last night i was out cold at 8:30pm. granted i did wake up for about an hour or so when my boyfriend came home from work (he's a waiter and usually gets off around 2am), but then i went right back to sleep like a little baby, abandoning my boyfriend in the living room to lull himself to sleep with the TV.

what's wrong with me? i'm having life changing surgery in less than two weeks!! maybe this is my way of escaping?? any thoughts?!? :rolleyes:

Cuoricino,

It could be a combination of things. I know that after I got the definitive news of surgery, I was sleeping alot for a couple of weeks (I think of out pure mental exhaustion). I also attributed it in part to my heart condition. I still think that you are better off getting sleep (whatever the reason) than not. ;)

Hang in there....we are all with you!

Best of luck with your surgery. I couldn't get enough sleep before my surgery either. Would take a nap at about 4 in the afternoon for a couple of hours then would be in bed by 10 at night.

Awesome news that you are sleeping - escape - comfort that you finally have a plan - either way you are passing the time until the surgery. You are young and I am really sure that you are going to get through this with flying colors. I will pray that they can spare the valve.

Latest posts

Back