CT Scans - Chest X-Rays and Stress-Tests How much radiation have you been exposed to?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

So after surviving surgery and a fairly uneventful recovery, it’s now time for follow up and some new issues. I am 45 years old and before accidentally being diagnosed with an aortic aneurism, I had never had a CT scan in my life! Only 5 years later, I have had 6, with at least 5 chest X-rays, and a host of fluoroscope events (stress-tests, heart cath's etc), and non-cardiac related X-rays (dental, orthopedic stuff etc).

So here is my question to those of you who wish to participate:

Sense being diagnosed, how many CT Scans, Fluoroscope events and X rays have you had to undergo?

For me it has been:

6 CT's
5 Chest X-Rays
10 Fluoroscope events

I don’t expect anyone out here to tell me how much is too much radiation particularly considering the alternative to radiation (dying of a dissection) but for Pete's sake, why can’t post surgery follow up be done with MRI?

I also know that the effects of radiation are cumulative and time between radiological events means absolutely nothing! I know that a flight to California from New York is like getting like 10 chest X-rays, but not aimed directly at my thorax!

Anyway, I would be interested in getting your views on this and see how much radiation your doctors are prescribing to the rest of us.

Well it's been almost 4 years since my surgery and I had 1 Chest X-ray about 3 months post-op and 1 MRI last year (of my head) 1 dental X-Ray.
No CT's, no stress-tests, no Fluoroscope except for my yearly echo, so maybe that's 5 echo's(?)

P.S.
add 1 angiogram

Last edited:
IT seems that because I have no sternum (and it is so rare) ...almost every Dr. I see wants a full set of chest pics ( I think they order wallet size for parties) my wife tells me that both times I was in a coma there was almost always someone nearby with a lead apron on and so when I came home she was cautious to turn off the lights in case I really did start to glow...........the alternative to no imaging would be to get in the car and start a trip without a map......imaging a necesssary evil for a course of treatment and damn I wish I could fold a road map.........there is anither frustration kids yoday are missing with GPS LOL

Interesting thread, Jake and we are close in age. One of the surprises for me after OHS was how much radiation I received in such a short time. I was not expecting that. One of the reasons this happened was because of pulmonary complications post-op.

Over a period of 6 weeks I had a total of
2 CT angiograms, 1 CT scan and 13 Chest x-rays.

As a child I also had 2 heart caths (angiograms) and have had numerous chest and dental xrays over the years.

I sure hope that I will be able to get MRI's in the future. I think I have reached my radiation quota. :eek:

Before 2005 there were a lifetime variety of: dental x-rays, hip x-ray, hand x-ray, shoulder x-ray etc.

In the past 5 years since my cardiac "episode":

Zero CT scans
1 angiogram
1 or 2 chest X-rays
2 dental X-rays

I am 46 years old never had a CT scans or MRI in my life until I was diagnosed with a aortic aneurysm and type A aortic dissection. So far I had 1 CT scans, 1 MRI and 3 chests x-rays.

I would ask your doctor why you can't have yearly MRIs instead of CTs?
Justin has had 5 OHS (plus 2 other heart related surgeries) and too many echos to count - he had 53 before he was 2 years old (and in and out of the hospital about 8 months in out of his 1st 2 years,)

He also had between 10-15 caths (lost count)
He usually has MRI/MRAs every year or so for the past few years, but ONLY had 1 CT and that was to check for a pulmonary embolism when he was readmitted post op for what turned out to be a sternal infection.

His heart docs don't order routine CTs or even Xrays on him because of the radiation

He also had a broken arm that needed rods put in and a couple months later removed that did involve alot of Xrays

Latest posts

Back