CT Scan

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had more CT's than I want. I've asked my Drs. if we could do MRA's instead, they said sure, they prefer MRA's. MRI/MRA takes much longer and is a bit more uncomfortable, for me anyway, but I like not having the radiation worry of CT's.

I don't know alot because Justin had all his septal defects closed (stitched or patched depending on the size) during one of his surgeries. (Usually if you've had surgery and TEE ect they should have found it if you had one, but it wouldn't hurt to ask) But there is a small hole in the Atrium that blood travels thru when you are still a fetus, but should close shortly after birth "foramen ovale" it is in the atrial septum. When it doesn't close it is called a patent foramen ovale. So blood can go from the left side of the heart to the right, with out going to the lungs for oxygen, there also is a chance small clots can be formed. There seems to be a relationship between PFOs to both migraines and strokes. (The Priminister of Isreal Ariel Sharon, had a stroke they believe was caused by a clot because of his PFO) many studies are showing people with PFOs have a higher percentage of of migraines than people with out PFOs. IF you do a search with PFO and migraine a few good articles come up.
Thanks Lyn!

There is some variance in results. I was told the CT is the most accurate. My measurements were:
Eco - 4.3 cm - original cardiologist didn't know what was causing it, told me to lose 30 pounds and come back in 6 months.
MRA - 4.5 cm
CT - 5.1 cm - Surgeon suggested that he operate within 6 months.
All images were taken within within 3-4 months of each other. My surgeon wouldn't give me a consultation without a CT scan done by his hospital.

Jumpy,

Prior to my surgery two echo's and my CT both showed my aorta to be slightly enlarged at 4.1. After surgery my surgeon was pleased to report my aorta was actually a 3.8 or 3.9 and nothing need be done about it. I wonder what it will look like on my next echo?

Doug

Never had a single CT Scan. All echo's. Diagnosed by Echo at 4.8, surgery at 8cm (according to OR report measurement). I DID have 2 cardiac cath's prior to my surgery. FYI a cardiac cath and a angiogram are the same thing, that can be done to determine if the arteries and veins can withstand surgery...or can be done to remove plaque.

Latest posts

Back