Coumadin vs generic warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

Please humour me if nothing else.

Has anyone switched from brand name to generic warfarin and had problems they think were caused by the lack of brand name and maybe lack of quality
control? Do generics carry a "guaranteed analysis" of the contents?

Most of what I've heard say they're the same. Bayer aspirin is horribly expensive when compared to ASA. Yet I'm reluctant to make the switch.

Just wondering.

my insurance company would not cover Coumadin even after the Doc said brand name only. I got Jantoven insteads which is a brand name like coumadin because my pharmacy couldn't get wayfarin for what ever reason.

Anyways to answer your question, I have not noticed any difference mg to mg in the 2 drugs.

I've used coumadin and generic warfarin interchangeably since I started taking them. I've had no problems whatever with inr varying.

I use only generic meds these days including aspirin and warfarin. The only brand I still take is Tylenol caplets because they are smaller than the generic and I have trouble swallowing larger pills.
I resisted generic warfarin for years because I thought there was a difference but I have not found that to be true.

The entire country of Israel switched from Coumadin to generic made by one of their own companies (Teva - I wrongly put Taro in an earlier post). Has the news had a story about thousands of people's INR going out of range?

Canada has strict requirements that they be equivalent.

It is just a matter of where you want to spend your money.

Al knows

Al knows

allodwick said:
The entire country of Israel switched from Coumadin to generic made by one of their own companies (Teva - I wrongly put Taro in an earlier post). Has the news had a story about thousands of people's INR going out of range?

Canada has strict requirements that they be equivalent.

It is just a matter of where you want to spend your money.

Over ten years ago, three different drs. told me not to switch from Coumadin to warfarin. Ten years later, I have taken several different types and I'm still on the same dose, in range and have saved money over those years. Proofs once again that drs. are not gods, but Al, at least in my opinion, is a saint!:)

I've mixed Coumadin and Warfarin, taken one or the other, for over 5 years now and the only difference is price paid.

When my insurance company informed me that they would no longer pay the difference between Generic Meds and Brand Name Meds, I switched to generic.

My mail order drug company used generic warfarin made by TARO in Israel. NO noticable difference, no wild swings in INR, and the pills are EASIER to split. I'm very happy with my TARO generic warfarin.

FYI, sales reps who represented COUMADIN liked to tell Doctors that their meds were held to higher standards, blah, blah, blah. Well, someone took the manufacturer of Coumadin to Court, and the findings were that some of the GENERIC brands actually had LESS variation than the Brand Name Coumadin. The manufacturers of Coumadin (ownership of that drug has moved around) are no longer able to claim they have less variation in dosage.

'AL Capshaw'

lance said:
Has anyone switched from brand name to generic warfarin and had problems they think were caused by the lack of brand name and maybe lack of quality
control? Do generics carry a "guaranteed analysis" of the contents?

As someone who works for a medical device manufacturer and deals with the FDA on a regular basis, I can tell you that anyone who accuses a producer of generic pharmaceuticals as having a "lack of quality control" has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Every Class II and Class III manufacturer is inspected on a regular basis by FDA auditors, regardless of if they are Merck, Pfizer, or Perrigo (the makers of the generic ibuprofen I have in my desk), and all are held to the exact same standards.

Shows how little RCB knows, doesn't it!!! At least he did not capitalize saint!!!

Now, Al

Now, Al

allodwick said:
Shows how little RCB knows, doesn't it!!! At least he did not capitalize saint!!!
I would't go that far Al, I might get in trouble with the Big Man- you will notice I didn't capitalize "gods" either.:D

In the UK, generic warfarin is the standard supplied from our National Health Service. I've had all sorts of different generic brands since my op. Have not noticed any difference whatsoever in my INR. Out of interest I looked on our NHS prescribing info system - 56 3mg tablets of generic warfarin cost the NHS £3.12 (5.73 USD). I'm not even sure there is any form of "branded" warfarin (like coumadin) available here.

Something that I tried to edit in got left out.

Maybe I could be a saint in the First Church of the Sacred Rat Poison (Reformed).

Let us know Al....

Let us know Al....

allodwick said:
Something that I tried to edit in got left out.

Maybe I could be a saint in the First Church of the Sacred Rat Poison (Reformed).
When you start to preach, you already have a large choir here!:)

The problems arise with some of the "third World Countries" namely India producing drugs via reverse engineering (lets not bother with intellectual property) that may be somewhat less than on a par with the genuine article. There are also companies in the third world that produce entirely fake medications yet bearing all the hall marks of patented drugs - well most of them anyway. Its surprisingly easy to have these drug infiltrate the "West". It really does not bear thinking about!
So today it's not just wondering if your "Trainers " are fake but also those labels in ones medical cabinet.

Hey John, could you perhaps fill out your profile section or tell us a bit about yourself?

Jantoven for me..

Jantoven for me..

I have been on Jantoven ( a "branded" generic form of warfarin) for a couple of years now.

$10.00 co-pay instead of $35.00 for Coumadin and perfect results thus far..

Cleveland Clinic is still of the OLD SCHOOL! They are very concerned that multiple companies produce the generic drugs. We have no choice in the companies. Therefore we use the real STUFF!

Our prescription reads 1 or 2 as needed. They MUCH fill the prescription for 2 pills per day. This saves us money.

Joann has had 1 stroke and at least 20 TIA's so we have concerns!!!!

Coumadin

Coumadin

My cardiologist's practice will not manage your Coumadin if you are taking the generic! I have not asked for specifics but he said there have been too many problems with the generic or switching back and forth. I was on Warfarin prescribed by the Surgeon but I had to switch.

Has anyone else had the cardiologist tell you not to take generic?

Heather

Latest posts

Back