coumadin and vegetarianism

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone's dosage varies so much that you can't focus on how much coumadin you are taking. Focus on what your INR is instead and if you notice any significant changes, go back and look at what you ate and drank that week. Keep a food journal (I started doing that recently) and see if you can track where the changes come in. My dad has been on the same dose of coumadin since the 80s. He takes 2.5 a couple days a week, 5 mg a couple days a week and then skips a couple days.
Wow, that is a bouncy dose....it sounds like Dad may be much safer on 2 or 2.5 mg every day. Consistency is key.

Hi Amy,
Finally a veggie that can respond to you - actually, vegan! I too have a high dose where I alternate between 11mg and 12mg of warfarin. My diet is high in soya products, greens and pulses. My arch enemy appears to be chick peas. I only have to eat a moderate amount of these in order for my INR level to drop sharply. I self-test at home with a Coagucheck-XS so I keep an eye on things. In sum your cardiologist is right. All the best.

Sensei

I am also on 15mg daily, so you are not alone. I vary between 15mg & 15.5mg. My range is 2.5-3.5, but they shoot for 3.0-3.5. I eat brocolli daily, and I assume that is the reason for the high dosing. I have also been on Coumadin for 29 years, so maybe that's a factor. My Dr. says he has never seen anyone take such a high dose, and he worries about me. I have been having trouble regulating my INR lately, so I'm going to start measuring out my brocolli and make sure I eat the same amount every day. I'm hoping this helps.

I'm not a vegetarian. I eat some chicken and a little fish and the odd bit of pork but I eat vast quantities of leafy greens, mountains of tofu and chick peas and lots of other veggies every day. My diet is quite consistent in that the animals are included in addition to the other stuff. I am also quite active, running, walking or cycling 5 or more days per week. For over one year now I've been stable on a daily dose of 11mg. The Anti-coagulation Clinic where I used to get tested (I self test and dose now) told me that they have a patient taking 20mg/day, and one taking 1/2mg most days, with occacional 1/4 mg doses! I personally notice my INR plummet when I run too much, or when I occasionally overdose myself with spinach. I haven't noticed it with chick peas but that might just be a result of not having tested within a couple of days of eating large quantities of them. Hang in there, you'll likely stabilize soon, then as your activity levels increase further out from surgery, you may need to take even more. Time will tell.

I am the same way with running. the more active i am, the more Coumadin I need. I'm developing pneumonia again, so I haven't been running nearly as much lately :( and my INR shot up to 9.2 last Saturday, higher than it's ever been. They dropped me to 14mg, and I'm doing well. As soon as my running picks up, I'll need a higher dose. Good luck to everyone stabilizing :)

I thought I would post in this thread again for the benefit of anyone else who might be in the same boat. I am now coming up on 3 years post-op. I am a vegetarian who is taking coumadin at 15mg daily. I have been extremely consistent at this dose with INR's at about 2.2-2.5 (ideal range for me is 2-3). I have not had to adjust my dose in a very long time, and I self test at home.
My biggest dietary culprits are broccoli, chick peas, spinach. Those seem to have the biggest impact on my INR.
Amy

Chick peas?! Very Interesting! No wonder why sometimes I was confused about changes in my INR! I never thought that chick picks could affect the INR, but this could be the answer.

Thanks for sharing as I love chick peas, and somedays I crave for it and I would splurge!
:)

Latest posts

Back