Cooker's Throwdown Friday ... 5-15-15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
I hope this finds everyone doing well. I have come to the decision that its time for me to say goodbye to the Throwdown. I'm not sure how long this thing has been going on but it has been years. I welcome anyone who would like to take the wheel and if I decide to get involved again I will not expect to take it back.

I cherish the friendships that have come my way and I in no way expect those to end. Most of us share contact information and know how to reach one another.

I wish everyone the best in whatever they try to accomplish.

Peace

guess I've been reading the tea leaves and seeing that this day might come -- still, it is a shock to read. You have done a great job keeping this going for so long, Tom, and inspiring so many to be more weight- and health-conscious. The gradual waning of enthusiasm was probably inevitable; just human nature, looking for the next exciting thing and overlooking something tried-and-true right there for us. I know I have not kept up my participation always. I am trying to keep up exercise and be halfway sensible about eating but i do dread stepping on the scales. I didn't even ask my weight when the nurse weighed me at the cardiologist's office today. The very sweet nurse may weigh more than I do, so she didn't want to talk numbers any more than I did. Still, she did her job well, which helped remind me it's the spirit inside that really counts. I spoke to the cardio about some concerns and she will be scheduling me for an echo soon. She thought I seemed to be fine but agreed that it's time to check how my valve/root replacement is working 10.3 years in. I think I am at about the average endurance now (I read the Web too much!) -- but of course Superbob is way above average (in his own mind)….

I have pinch-hit here occasionally, and I could try a Superbob's Throwdown, or some such, but I'm not sure the demand is there. I doubt anyone could do this thing with as much pizzaz as you, Mr. Chimp. Anyway, whatever, it is good to know that the friendship continues on vr.com and elsewhere.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Again, Tom, many thanks for keeping this up for -- gosh, what, nearly a decade? As I indicated in my earlier post, I was willing to consider continuing it myself -- but I take the lack of response from others as an indication of the lack of demand -- in its current form, anyway. I'm wondering, though, if we might ask Hank to change the name of the Throwdown to the Fitness Corner or Fitness Quest (or some such name) -- preserving all the old TD posts but taking a little different slant as a place where heart buddies can share info and experiences about their fitness quests -- various forms of exercise, having fun while staying active, ideas for eating healthy while living a hectic lifestyle, that sort of thing -- basically open-ended; of course, could still include efforts to trim pounds. Wonder if there might be interest in something like that?

Superbob;n855861 said:
Again, Tom, many thanks for keeping this up for -- gosh, what, nearly a decade? As I indicated in my earlier post, I was willing to consider continuing it myself -- but I take the lack of response from others as an indication of the lack of demand -- in its current form, anyway. I'm wondering, though, if we might ask Hank to change the name of the Throwdown to the Fitness Corner or Fitness Quest (or some such name) -- preserving all the old TD posts but taking a little different slant as a place where heart buddies can share info and experiences about their fitness quests -- various forms of exercise, having fun while staying active, ideas for eating healthy while living a hectic lifestyle, that sort of thing -- basically open-ended; of course, could still include efforts to trim pounds. Wonder if there might be interest in something like that?

Sounds like that may be a plan Bob.... I believe the Throwdown ran it's course year before last... I think a general forum that covers it all might be something that that will work. Lifters, runners, walkers, swimmers the list goes on and on....

I stopped by this morning to see how everyone was doing and I find the towel's been thrown in! What a revolting development! I think that I was pretty consistent over the years, but it takes two to tango, and there has been a noticeable lack of dance partners the past year. Superbob, if you want to step in, I will continue to participate. A name change might be in order as you have suggested.

Let's do try to keep it going -- I think it could stay here under the "Throwdown" forum, at least for now, but the week's topic could have a new name, maybe an ongoing one if we can think of a good one. Will try something tomorrow as a starter. It's a good place to keep up with how folks are doing, get some ideas and inspiration, or just have fun.

Tom - This is the first chance I've had to check in for quite a long time. . . and I find your post about stepping out of the TD. Of course, it is your choice, but I want to thank you for all the good-spirited support you've given all of us over the years. Personally, I've hit a plateau, and haven't been able to change my weight for a couple of years. I don't have the time for any more physical activity, and with the present regimen and my relatively careful diet, I've stayed stable in spite of advancing age. I guess I'll call that a victory.

I, for one, will miss you and your fun sense of humor. Will you still be stopping around the rest of the site, or are you exiting the vr.org world for now?

Superbob;n855900 said:
Let's do try to keep it going -- I think it could stay here under the "Throwdown" forum, at least for now, but the week's topic could have a new name, maybe an ongoing one if we can think of a good one. Will try something tomorrow as a starter. It's a good place to keep up with how folks are doing, get some ideas and inspiration, or just have fun.
Sounds like a plan, Bob. I can contribute a response tomorrow, but I will be out of town until next Wednesday. I mention it now so you don't think I've changed my mind.

epstns;n855903 said:
Tom - This is the first chance I've had to check in for quite a long time. . . and I find your post about stepping out of the TD. Of course, it is your choice, but I want to thank you for all the good-spirited support you've given all of us over the years. Personally, I've hit a plateau, and haven't been able to change my weight for a couple of years. I don't have the time for any more physical activity, and with the present regimen and my relatively careful diet, I've stayed stable in spite of advancing age. I guess I'll call that a victory.

I, for one, will miss you and your fun sense of humor. Will you still be stopping around the rest of the site, or are you exiting the vr.org world for now?

Thanks Steve, I'm not dropping VR.org. I am incredibly busy and it's just time to pass the baton. Bob will do a great job in whatever he does with this group.

I really hope no one feels like I am or have abandoned them. That's not the case. Just going to hang out with Letterman awhile.

Well again, I've missed a few weeks. Now the chimp has gone and swung out of the Throwdown jungle. I will miss seeing you post, but will continue to participate even if I am spotty about it. I really don't read much else on vr.org except the Throwdown. My aorta valve, that at one point the cardio said would need replacing at some point, has shown no sign of functioning any way except normal. So this thread is vr.org to me. Cooker, you will always be my friend, our friend, even if I'm not the best at being a friend...disappearing so much. SB's capable hands and undying wit will certainly not miss a beat as far as the thread goes. No worries there. Just don't be a stranger Tom, like I am so much.

Latest posts

Back