Cooker’s ThrowDown Friday III ... 12-11-09

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary, those recipes are awesome, oh my goodness. I will try them out for sure. I'm curious about the ice cream maker too, since I don't own one.

OMG this throwdown is dangerous this week!!! All that stuff sounds so yummy! I'll post my numbers tomorrow. I don't think I gained, but I don't think I lost. I have been a good little girl (mostly) and it is soooooo boring. Today was our Company Christmas lunch at Outback. I had no bread or cheesecake and only ate 1/2 of my garlic mashed potatoes. It was still good though and I didn't feel too deprived. Next week will be harder as I have parties on the 17th, 18th and 19th... that should be the end of it though.

SuperBob - I am very proud of you!! You are my superhero - keep up the long walks and exercises. I'm sure that helped a lot.

Mary and everyone swapping recipes this week. Here is the microwave peanut brittle recipe. So easy (except better to have a partner help you turn it out - but I do it by myself too - just very carefully..)

Microwave Peanut Brittle

Ingredients:
1 cup Granulated Sugar
½ cup White Corn Syrup
1 cup Roasted Peanuts
1 tsp Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking soda

Directions:
1. In 1 ½ Qt casserole stir together sugar and syrup
2. Microwave on High for 4 minutes
3. Stir in peanuts
4. Microwave on High for 2 ½ minutes until light brown
5. Add butter and vanilla to syrup, blending well.
6. Microwave on High 1 to 2 minutes more. Peanuts will be lightly browned and syrup very hot.
7. Add baking soda and gently stir until light and foamy.
8. Pour mixture onto lightly greased cookie sheet, spread out quickly before it sets and let cool ½ to 1 hour.
9. When cool, break into small pieces and store in airtight container.

Last edited:
Eggnog, Shmeggnog......where's the BOOZE ??

I have got that recipe for you too. Lots of booze in this one! This is the BEST eggnog you ever tasted..... and it is strong so be careful. You have been warned! Else we will have chimps swinging through the trees.... :):eek:

TXWildflower's World Famous Eggnog.......
Make ahead at least 1 week

Separate 6 eggs. Beat yolks with 2 cups sugar for 10 minutes until smooth.
Mix in 1 pt. Bourbon, 1 cup rum and 1 cup brandy
Mix in 3 pints heavy cream and 1 pint milk
Beat egg whites stiff and fold in

Pour into jugs leaving each only ¾ full. Refrigerate for at least a week turning each jug gently twice per day to homogenize.

Serve with grated nutmeg on top.

Rhena

I think I'll make the peanut brittle. I have everything in the house but I'm going to substitute cashews for the peanuts. I'll probably have to change the name too.

I think I'll make the peanut brittle. I have everything in the house but I'm going to substitute cashews for the peanuts. I'll probably have to change the name too.

Let me know how that turns out. I'll bet it's good. I might try almonds too. Technically they are lower in carbs, but then with all that sugar and karo syrup who am I kidding?:)

Sounds like a rehab thread is needed:cool::p

Thank goodness New Year's is not too far away or we could really do some serious damage to all our efforts. We will all be joining you in rehab come Jan 1 .

Dina if you are still around I wanted to say Whoo hooo! Keeping it off is harder than taking it off - and a smaller size to boot.

Hey Bina, I didn't realize you had the reverse issue and needed to put some on. We all have our crosses to bear. I think you should make the eggnog up and then use that in Mary's Eggnog cake recipe.... now that sounds good. You'd have to be 18 to eat any:)

The eating rampage continues:eek: ... I have gained four pounds in a week and it comes as no surprise ... I could relate all of the Christmas goodies I have consumed this week but I fear disk space will not allow it:rolleyes: ... I hope to remain under 200 between now and 1-1-2010 ... that will be a miracle in itself ... My company party is this week, DW’s and a church party (three churches meeting together with all the dear ladies trying to outdo each other with traditional deep south delicacies) next week and these are just the pitfalls I am aware of, many are lurking and ready to pounce pounds on TheChimp ... I fear instead of a Holly Jolly Christmas it is shaping up to be a Rolie-Polie Christmas ... Not whining, just dining:p ... peace out:cool:

Starting weight..........233
Last Week ..................190.5
This week.....................194.5
Total Loss ....................38.5

Hello chimp delighted to see that you're gaining lots of pounds!!!!!!! excuses excuses '' Deep South Delicacies'' if you lived in France you would have a proper excuse as tonight I have to endure a typical simple french meal
Kir royal
Foie gras frais de canard maison ou saumon fumé norvégien ou mariné
Demi-Homard frais grillé (500g)
ou
Filet de sôle aux deux sauces
Filet de boeuf en brioche
ou
Emincé de magret de canard 5 poivres
ou
Carré d'agneau rôti à la fleur de thym aux petits légumes et gratin dauphinois
Brie de Meaux sur son lit de salade
Omelette norvégienne
Café
Eau
Bordeaux Saint-Emilion
et
Bordeaux blanc Château la Croix Gornet
Champagne Jacquart à volonté
Whisky et eau à volont

Last week I went to a birthday party of a French/ Romanian couple, all of the Romanian guests brought a birthday cake, so I ended up with a sample of six different creamy chocolate cakes on a plate, I ate the lot washed down by a sweet white wine. The following day I went to my daughters Christmas party and of course I was tempted by all of the goodies that were presented for the children. Oh I hate parties yum yum yum
Now I am going to check my weight ........................

These Stupid scales are wrong the battery is faulty oh oh made in China
Sorry Chimp but I will have to weighin next week

Hi TXWildflower I have a culinary question for you ?
Can one make microwave peanut brittle without a microwave

Sounds like a rehab thread is needed:cool::p

Indeed it does. Even so, totally unbelievable but true, I am down two tenths of a lb. since last weigh-in!

Please continue to remember my husband in your prayers. It is a VERY LONG story with many twists and turns so I will spare you the details but if his MRIs of the head and neck do not show a tumor, we may be looking at a diagnosis of an upper motor neuron disease. I know with a certainty that the situation does not exist that the Lord's grace will not see us through and I keep going back to that in my mind. I can't help but hope that it turns out to be something else less ominous. I would like to turn back the page to when we were only looking at possible cancer of the bladder. We haven't discussed this with anyone yet so please keep this information nicely hidden in our weight loss thread.:) Thanks for listening.

Betty,
Praying for a diagnosis much less ominous than you fear. I'm glad to read that you are on a downward trend with your weight.:)

Art,
I don't know one lick of French, so I will assume your entire dinner was nothing but snails,:D nice low calorie snails,:D if you don't count the butter.;):p

Ohhhh Art - how dare you share that menu. I understood every word (mostly). I'll bet it will take well over 2 hours to consume that meal in typical French social event style. SuperBob do you think the Foie Gras would be on Atkins.... I think so!!! Fat liver - yum.... When I first moved to France I couldn't speak a word and it was close to Mardi Gras time. I actually asked one of my French colleagues how to say 'Mardi Gras' in French. He looked at me like I was out of my mind before he burst out laughing!! Turns out I actually knew much more French that I thought! :p

On a serious note - I am praying very hard for your husband and you Betty. I'm sorry you have this to deal with this time of year. May you get the best news possible.

Mary - good job on that pound. This time of year that's great!

Guess what? I've been a better girl than I thought this week and Santa has rewarded me. :D I'm throwing it down!

Starting weight: 224
Last Week: 199.6
This week: 198.2
2 Week loss: -1.4
Total loss: 25.8

Later losers....

Rhena

Hi TXWildflower I have a culinary question for you ?
Can one make microwave peanut brittle without a microwave

Of course not you silly Irishman! However, you could use a Microronde! You can actually make peanut brittle on the stove top but that is way harder and you need a candy thermometer and a lot of patience. I don't do those things well!

Joyeux Noël!

Rhena

Good for you Dina, Rhena, SB, Mary & Betty! Any loss is a keeper.

We're offering our prayers for your husband and for a better diagnosis.

Back from Weight Watchers (went to the early meeting).

Cindy took a pass at the meeting; she had four eating events this week. :eek: So, no report from her today!

WISE:

Starting Weight: 194.2
Last Week: 186.8
This Week: 186
Total Loss: 8.2

I'll take it! That's my reward for being either at work or at home during three of Cindy's food events. ;)

Back from Weight Watchers (went to the early meeting).

Cindy took a pass at the meeting; she had four eating events this week. :eek: So, no report from her today!

WISE:

Starting Weight: 194.2
Last Week: 186.8
This Week: 186
Total Loss: 8.2

I'll take it! That's my reward for being either at work or at home during three of Cindy's food events. ;)

Good going, Wise!:)
I guess we'll hear from Cindy next Saturday?;)

Good going, Wise!:)
I guess we'll hear from Cindy next Saturday?;)

I would think so. She is going to Georgia tomorrow to spend the week with Jessica and the grandkids. We're meeting Jessica halfway tomorrow and next Saturday, to make the trip easier for both of us. I'm staying here all by my lonesome. She's thinking about weighing at a WW center there in Conyers on Friday.

Latest posts

Back