Chris is home already!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylchapa

Surgery was on the 21st and it has been a whirlwind! All that waiting and now it's over in 4 days?! Holy cow!

He has a brand spanking new Edwards pericardial tissue valve. I know nothing about this material except that I think it is homograft or cadaver or something like that. I have to look it up but we have only been home for a little while. He also got a pulmonary artery conduit. He bled quite a bit so they gave him a transfusion. Surgery was 3 1/2 hours. He spent one night in the special surgery night room in CVICU. The next morning he was moved down the hall to a regular room in the CVICU where he stayed for the duration.

He was up and walking the day after surgery. And 4 days later he's home in his own bed. He has no heart meds. He only has pain meds, nausea meds, and iron. We ahve a follow-up appointment with the cardiologist a week from Monday.

This surgery went so smoothly. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here who has shared their story and answered my questions and calmed my nerves. I couldn't have gotten through it without you (and xanax).

Great! Glad to hear he is doing fine and things went smooth. I got the Carpenter Edwards Parmont Bovine valve. (made from the lining of a cows heart) That may be what he got. It is considered one of the best tissue valves avilable now. This is also the same one Robin Williams got.
Did they give him a tissue valve because of his age? I was just wondering looks like he still has some growing to do and will need a different one later on.

glad to hear all went well - we keep telling people that the waiting is the worst part of all this. Chris will soon be up and driving you crazy again, by being a regular little whirlwind of activity.

Great news, I've been wondering how Chris was doing. He's probally going to balance right back into being a kid again with a great understanding and a great mommy. :)

Way To Go Chris

Way To Go Chris

Even though I'm here because of my own surgery, I'm also the mom of a "heart baby". Hearing how well Chris is doing brings tears to my eyes. I know that feeling. I will keep him in my prayers as he continues to heal and amaze you. Prayers for you too mom. I hope you can both rest and recoup from all you've been through.

So glad to hear that little Chris is back home & on his way to recovery. As was said on a previous post, kids are very resilient & I'm sure he'll be driving you crazy in no time! But it's all a good kind of crazy, of that I'm sure! :)

I'm so glad that all is well. I have been thinking about you. Positive thoughts and prayers that his recovery will be smooth and swift.

I was working out and thoughts of your son came to me. I was actually feeling sorry for myself I guess I was getting a little depressed........... but I started think about him and the picture you posted and was wondering how he was doing? I am so glad all went well and my prayers are with all of you and your family. He has been a private inspiration
thanks

Great! Glad to hear he is doing fine and things went smooth. I got the Carpenter Edwards Parmont Bovine valve. (made from the lining of a cows heart) That may be what he got. It is considered one of the best tissue valves avilable now. This is also the same one Robin Williams got.
Did they give him a tissue valve because of his age? I was just wondering looks like he still has some growing to do and will need a different one later on.

I was told that the valve was human pericardial tissue. Not really sure. The nurses said one thing and the surgeon said another. I'll check with him at the follow-up to be sure.

Thanks everyone for your well-wishes! Chris is doing great!

Latest posts

Back