Chest sounds

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
OK LOL....Have a new question.....I have seen posts saying that if one hears cracking or popping sounds in the chest to report it right away. I wondered what the significance of that is. Last night i slept in bed for the 1st time since June 8th (surgery was June 9th ) and as i slept on my side for the 1st time in as long, if i tried to raise myself a little to get comfy, I could hear my chest quietly pop or crack slightly. It isn't congestion or anything, it was like the chest bone was adjusting to my position kind of sound. Hope that makes some sense as its the best way I can describe it. My pain level hasn't increased. I just want to make sure I didn't do any harm sleeping on my side in bed. Up till last night I have slept in a recliner totally on my back for the last 3 1/2 weeks since surgery. I know my chest is wired together and I have been careful to do all the right things. I'm sure others have experienced something along these lines so thought I would throw this out for my veteran heart surgery friends. Thanks for any replies and you are all the best.......Heartfelt hugs.......Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael,its great to be on the post side isnt it :)....I too would be interested to hear what people have to say about sleeping on ones side .I have been sleeping on my back all along and am afraid to sleep on my side . .
take care and a gentle hug
Donna

I only started sleeping on my side a couple weeks ago (I'm just past 8 weeks now) and I've noticed some pain around my collar bone the next morning when I do that, but no clicking. My understanding of the signficance of the clicking sound is it's a warning sign you might be 'doing too much' and possibly starting to separate your breastbone. But Mike, since you haven't been overdoing it, I doubt that's what it is - still definitely worth getting checked out though! And I've heard from several that there are no issues sleeping on your side, even early on, so don't think that would be causing a problem either. I'd go get it checked just to be safe.

Your sternum will do that for a while. Once it starts to really harden, it will stop.

Sleep in whatever position your comfortable with. I know it took me a good while to be able to sleep on my side, then it was a major chore just to get into that position.

I've had a feeling like yours since about a week home (8 weeks yesterday). I feel like I have to adjust myself and move my breasts over (guys you all know about adjusting) lol.
Happened when I first started sleeping on my side and sometimes when I lean down to get something low out of the cabinets or oven . Surgeon said everything is fine and did a chest xray and said everything looked excellent and just part of the healing process . I would still check with your Doctor cause everyone is different , I'm sure it's all fine .
Heal well

Definitely sleep in the position that you are most comfortable in so you can sleep well. I'm a side sleeper and wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably on my back so I was sleeping on my side in bed as soon as I got home from the hospital. I think that I heard some popping when I would try to get up or roll over but I don't think I heard it for very long. As Ross said it is a chore rolling over and even getting up out of bed for a while but you will figure out a way that works best for you. I chose to sleep in bed from the time I got home because I wouldn't get good enough rest anywhere else in the house. And getting as much rest as possible is what you need to get better plus your exercise.

Latest posts

Back