Chest Pain - Heart or Not?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfreeman62

In 1975 I was diagnosed with BAV and accompanying hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at age twelve.

Ever since then I have had trouble answering questions about chest pain - is it interior or exterior - is it my heart or my chest? I don't know what normal feels like so never really knew the answers to those questions.

Nov 13 I had the valve replaced and a little of the muscle sliced off. I went home on day 3 and have been doing great. I have had some chest pain that was clearly my chest muscles. Last night I woke up about 2 am with a very sharp pain in my chest - running from left arm pit over to my heart - and once again really couldn't tell if it was my heart or my chest.

My pulse rate was low - 63 - and steady. I had no fever or faintness, but it didn't feel like the times I pulled my chest muscles. I took a codeine pill - the first in days - fell asleep and woke up fine.

Any hints on how to tell if pain is your heart or chest? How do you decide when to seek help? Come on, somebody give me the magic answer.

LOL

Any hints on how to tell if pain is your heart or chest? How do you decide when to seek help? Come on, somebody give me the magic answer.

LOL

I still get occasional chest ache or pain and do not know if its heart related, muscle, stress, weather or "something I ate". Since your pain was soon after your surgery, I would give my cardio a call. After a while, your "gut" will help tell you if you need to get concerned.

Not sure if this is a magic answer, but I too was getting concerned with pain that came and went.
The doctor told me this simple rule: "if you can take your finger and pin point where the pain is coming from, its muscles and or nerve endings trying to heal"

Remember one other magic rule: When in doubt, get it checked out.

This soon after surgery, it's not something to take lightly, get checked out. You may be starting to have fluid build up. Any fever of any kind?

Latest posts

Back