Chest and abdominal pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
HI all...I am 3 weeks post surgery tomorrow and I still have a lot of chest pain which is made a lot worse when i cough. I also have an abdominal pain which i feel when i inhale and seated in certain positions. It seems to be in the area of where i had a drainage tube and they had removed sutures. I am just curious how long others chest pain continued. thanks all......Michael

Ross i had an xray and an echocardiogram last friday and all looked ok....so....it doesnt seem fluid is an issue altho i can certainly see why would may suspect that.......Mike

is this new and/or worse chest pain?? Or is it just the same pain since the beginning, that you thought would be better by now?
if it is new pain or was better before and now hurts worse, I would definatly put a call in. If it is the regular pain you've had since surgery, some people have pain longer but it usually takes quite a while before it doesn't hurt when you cough or sneeze

Each patient is different as is pain tollerence BUT what is common to all is anyone with a sternotomy during the procedure needs to follow sternal precaotions including hugging a pillow or bear when coughing,laughing or sneezing,

Sternal Precautions – After Cardiac Surgery

•Do not lift more than 8 pounds. (A gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds.)
•Do not push or pull with your arms when moving in bed and getting out of bed.
•Do not flex or extend your shoulders over 90°.
•Avoid reaching too far across your body.
•Avoid twisting or deep bending.
•Do not hold your breath during activity.
•Brace your chest when coughing or sneezing. This is vital during the first 2 weeks at home.
•No driving.
•Avoid long periods of over the shoulder activity.
•If you feel any pulling or stretching in your chest, stop what you are doing. Do not repeat the motion that caused this feeling.
•Report any clicking or popping noise around your chest bone to your surgeon right away

Michael, during my first weeks, I had abdominal pains that were at times pretty uncomfortable; it turned out to be gas but it was no less painful than if it had been something far more serious. When these sorts of things are a problem, they can interfer with one's recovery so they do need to be dealt with. If this is more than occasional problem you do need to speak with your Doctor or your Cardio. I found that my family Doctor was a lot more help with the "minor" issues than was my Cardio. At three weeks, however, you may also want to call your Surgeon.

Larry

Michael, that stomach pain sounds very similar to what I had, and it was about that same timeframe - 3 wks post-op. I noticed it seemed to get worse in certain positions (like sitting in the recliner, which causes me to be semi-bent in half in that area). It was right at the bottom of my ribcage, and/or at the very top of my abdoman - right where I think my diaphram is. They checked me for fluid buildup a few times too (I was back in the hospital at the time due to some irregular beats - which by the way, I kept thinking might have been triggered by that pain). I never had any fluid buildup. They attributed it to normal healing - you're stretched pretty good during surgery, especially at the top and bottom of the incision. If it's the same pain I had, it'll eventually go away, but might take a couple more weeks. But you never know if it's the same pain or not, so best to get it checked out if you haven't already told them about it.

Hi Andy..thanks for the reply...and thanks to All of you.....I did have an X ray and an echocardiogram and all looked ok...I just seem to have a lot of congestion and that makes me cough to get the junk up which in turn makes the chest hurt more....and you are 100% accurate about where the abdominal pain is.....just where you said yours was.....and mine also hurts more when i get into a sort of bending while sitting position, as if leaning forward while seated. Its like you go thru all different phases during recovery and not just on a straight path to each day is definitely better type road....Im patient tho and I do all i can to stay on the right road...........Mike...... PS Andy you cant receive any more private messages it is telling me untill you delete some......

I deleted about 50 of my msgs so I should be good to go for a while. Yea, Ross, I'd rather keep my sent ones, except for the ones I manually delete. Should be good for a while yet - I don't get or send very many (surprised I filled up 150 already in any folder).

ok...I just got a call from the surgeon's office and altho the cardiologist had supposedly seen the results of my June 25th Echo....the surgeon just got the results today. They said there is some fluid around the heart and immediately called in a 4 day dose of prednisone.....hopefully this will help the fluid as well as my cough and maybe a little of the pain.......thanks all.....Michael

ok...I just got a call from the surgeon's office and altho the cardiologist had supposedly seen the results of my June 25th Echo....the surgeon just got the results today. They said there is some fluid around the heart and immediately called in a 4 day dose of prednisone.....hopefully this will help the fluid as well as my cough and maybe a little of the pain.......thanks all.....Michael

Hmm, now what did I say?

Darn kids! Never listen.

I deleted about 50 of my msgs so I should be good to go for a while. Yea, Ross, I'd rather keep my sent ones, except for the ones I manually delete. Should be good for a while yet - I don't get or send very many (surprised I filled up 150 already in any folder).

Somehow, I think your robbing me of my ladies.

Hmm, now what did I say?

Darn kids! Never listen.

I would be pretty pissed, if there was enough fluid around the heart, that you needed prendisone to treat it, that they waited 4-5 DAYS to check and get the results to you. Which doctor orderred the tests? That fluid could very easily continued to build over that time and put you in a life threatning condition. Whenever Justin has post op pericardial effusion (and he has had it after 3 of his 5 OHS) we have the results, start meds the DAY of the test and usually we know the results before we even leave the hospital, usually while he is still on the table..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back