Changes in your life before and after heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never lost any GOOD friends...just fair weather friends. It's easy to tell the difference when you go through something like this.

This ... exactly.

I also have experienced some of the same changes others have.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'll be with you" __ Cheap Trick __ 'The Flame'

Friends - The true ones have hung around and helped as much as they could.
My attitude - Well I'm still gumpy and have a short fuse on some days, but for the most part I don't sweat the small stuff any longer.
Surprises - My children. Our son was 31 and our daughter was 29 when I had my AVR and very much to my surprise, they pitched in to help me once I was home. They worked out a schedule to keep me company but not to smother me. My husband had to go back to work the day after I was released from the hospital so he did not feel too bad about leaving me since our grown rug rats would be there with me.
So yea I have changed but I think for the better. I appreciate all my family, friends and on a daily basis to not judge people since I don't know what type of baggage (emotional or medical) they are carrying. Things won't always be sunny but just keep in mind that no matter what, you are gonna see the sun again and you will be there for your daughter. Best of Luck on the 24th.

Hey Sioux city. !! U r doing great. Good for you. Proud of you

What is common I think is the calm before the surgery. Me too (2-9). And while I've always been grateful for what I have ( meaning I never wanted anything bad to show me how to appreciate stuff I always did - & do. But the calm is a good thing ).

Have a great weekend. Nancy. St Louis.
)

Thanks Nancy! You got yours coming up! Your in my thoughts! I think I'll be calm the day before, I think I'll have come to terms with it, and put my fate in the hands of a professional and hope for the best!

As far as the actual surgery goes, I believe it was harder on my wife than on me. I just had to get put out, filleted, and recover. She had to go through seeing her husband go through all that. And she is a tough ex cop. As far as myself, like others it really makes you appreciate family and friends. I could not believe how generous and loving my neighbors were. We had one neighbor that organized a group of 10 other people to provide dinners to the family while I was in the hospital and for a week after I came home. How have I changed? I love more, procrastinate less, work harder at home, and work smarter at work, and I am much less afraid to ask for help.

Hi Laura

I am 24 & have wrote on here before about losing friends pre surgery and how strange it is! It was one of the biggest changes for me, I realised I had many others ect and that some ppl can not deal with it and thats ok - because WE CAN.

Now after surgery there have been SO many changes I feel like I have changed ALOT my family joke that i was given a personality transplant as i am so calm and happy now (without the anxiety fest that was mitral valve reg)

Socially I am now more picky about who I spend time with where I go and what I do - there is no time to waste on snobby dinner parties with ppl who try to put you down all night or pub crawls with ex friends who spend the whole time comparing fake tans *sigh* or gatherings where i end up minding all the kids while there parents drink nooooo thanks. More time chilling out with the ppl i love.

Work wise- I dont! I missed out on alot of work, then missed the selection interviews and was VERY stressed about it. BUUUUT I have a toddler and could not be more happy at home with her. We make sacrifices I wouldnt have thought of before surgery -selling things and downsizing bigtime to make this can happen and it is FAB I love that we are making it a priority.

FOOD- The other big change for me is I am a vegan now, I have always eaten 'healthy' but loved meat it was like a switch went off after surgery and i wanted no part of it. Feel great and know I am doing the right thing for me, animals and the planet :)

You will go through so much good and bad and learn alot about your self (if you want to) I know that i did and the biggest suprise was i didnt want what I thought I wanted AT ALL and i had all i needed. Phew deap stuff

Best of luck and keep us posted x

My biggest change was after my first surgery in 2004 when I greatly reduced my sodium intact. I was in heart failure and found that high sodium foods or adding sodium to meals caused fluid retention in the months after surgery until my heart remodelled. I no longer have heart failure or fluid retention issues however I have remained on a low sodium diet.

Hi Laura - well you had your surgery yesterday - here's hoping for a speeding recovery. I'm 33 and expecting my third child. I had my valve replacement at 28 when my daughter, my first child, was 6 months old. I can relate to you in a lot of ways. I did eat a lot more healthily, exercise more and lost many friends - mostly that came from having children too I think though. Now, 5 years later, I'm somewhere in the middle of the way I was then and the "old" me. The shock, trauma, anger, processing of having surgery was a good 2 years for me. I still have the very rare moment I get down or angry about it. My surgery wasn't a cure, but a stop gap. I'll need my aortic valve done sometime and they'll probably replace my mitral again at that point. I have calcification through-out the chambers so I'll never be running marathon (thank God - an excuse)!

In time you too will likely "sweat the small stuff" again, but not like before. I do have normal worries like everyone else, kids, money, work etc. I am a little less patient with people who complain about stuff that seems small to me. We all have our crosses to bare and ours (OHS patients) are some pretty hefty ones.

I look forward to seeing your posts to say you're well on the mend!

Latest posts

Back