Changes in your life before and after heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hi-

I am having MVR on Jan 24th and I feel like I am changing a lot already. Mentally and physically. I am cutting out a lot of sodium and really trying to eat very healthy and I am dropping friends like flies. You could really tell who your friends are. I am not getting annoyed so easily on petty things and I am speaking my mind more often. I am a 31 year old female with an 18 month old and I do not know anybody in my age group that has heart conditions this severe so I have no one to confide in except strangers on the internet so I am turning more into a hermit because my friends cry over spilled milk when I am going to have heart surgery....How have you changed?

Hi Laura,
Yep, we all go through a mental awakening when we realize that we need surgery and it get's really interesting as we get closer to the big day. For the most part people describe being at peace and calm as they get closer to the date. My surgery made me realize that there were a lot of things that I took for granted and made me refocus my energy towards what's really important in life: family, friends, a passion for life, compassion.

Good for you for seeing that you have control over the the course of your life and making an effort to eat healthy and letting go of petty things that are not worth worrying over. Try to find someone who understands you (family or friend) to be your ally and help you get through this period. You will need some help and support as you recover back to a healthy life with your new valve and your new life.

Take care,
John

Hi, Laura,
Welcome! I'm a 36-year-old who had mitral valve repair nearly six years ago. It seems that very few people who aren't "valvers" like us really don't understand all the issues surrounding heart surgery. I have also lost a few friends as a result of my surgery and the changes that went with it. You really do know which friends you can count on. I'm sorry that I don't have any words of wisdom to help you speak to your friends to soothe their fears, other than just to try to educate them about your surgery and what it involves, that you aren't/won't be fragile as a result, and basically that just because you have heart disease, you are not weak. I am glad to see that you seem to be taking a positive approach to your impending surgery. When something like this happens, we realize that life is short and that we need to live it to the fullest.

I've changed a lot myself. I went into surgery all gung-ho, but then dealt with nasty anxiety after. My mother was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a year later, which compounded my mental state and made me quite depressed. With therapy, learning to trust God, and time, I am a much happier and healthier person. I eat well, exercise, make sure to get my rest, and not take things for granted. I posted a thread "Um, I'm on TV" that has a link of a TV news segment I was on recently. I talk about my experience with surgery and how it affected me.

Also, if there is a local American Heart Association chapter near you, and if you have time (especially with a young child), why not get involved? You can meet many neat people who have been through/are going through the same thing as you and be able to share your story with them.

Best wishes, though, for a smooth and uneventful valve surgery!
Best,
Debi

Peronally, as a result of Skyler’s surgery, I have been surprised by the number of people who have banded together for him – people who we never expected.

Some of the people who really stepped up were his school and teachers. He started at a new school in September (Junior High), and was also switched classes in October, so he had only been in his class for about a month when he had his original surgery date. He missed a lot of school going through pre surgery and stuff, which can easily make you an outcast at that age. However, there were several kids in the class who decided to make cards for him. Several of his teachers came to visit at the hospital, not once, but a couple times each. His friends came and visited, not in the hospital (they were in school), but afterwards many times. They don’t seem to have any issue. The teen group that Skyler is a part of came to visit him a couple times. If anything, this surgery has made him MORE popular, not less. He went back to school one morning to visit before Christmas (he got a pass from the hospital for the morning), and his Science teacher made it a Q&A period for everyone to simply quiz him on what he had been doing for the past month, and show off his electronic pump. It was great for Skyler to get some of the stuff off his chest, and also to get everyone comfortable with his 24-h IV pump. It’s also exciting for him to tell everyone he can be MORE active now than before. He’s also become a favourite with the school admin staff.

Many family members came to visit at the hospital.

It must be something about being a kid.

As for us parents, our friends have truly been wonderful. Some friends volunteered to come clean our house, others to take care of the little kids on big days (surgery day), even though their own schedules are so packed that they don’t allow it. We haven't lost or gained any friends, but we have gained a lot of respect for Skyler's school and teachers. I guess my only surprise was that one of my husband’s sisters had a complete breakdown when he left a message simply saying that Skyler’s surgery was in fact happening, and it hadn’t been delayed. She lives with my husband’s mom and ran off screaming and crying that Skyler had died before hardly listening to the phone message (as his mom reports). Then again, she is a rather anxious and dramatic person, so it wasn’t that surprising.

Our situation, however, may be different than many, however. This surgery for Skyler has been expected since he was 4 months old. Family has been through much worse – they were told that Skyler wouldn’t survive the first valve replacement surgery, and everyone had prepared for that back then. For Skyler to be with us at all is a joy, and this last surgery was in many ways a relief. The thick cloud of “when will he need surgery next” may be permanently gone – if what his surgeon predicts is true.

If no future surgeries is in fact a reality, Skyler’s future may be entirely more normal than his life has ever been. This may be something harder for Skyler to get used to than any of the rest of it.

The most immediate change in Skyler, however, is that he has started thinking about others a smidge, and started to prioritize what is really important.
i.e. He spent his own money on his sister's Christmas present, and his top priority was to be HOME. As much as he cared about his Christmas gifts, the reality that he wasn’t supposed to be home at Christmas and easily could have been in the hospital opened his eyes in a wonderful way.

Laura, living is change

Laura, living is change

Hi, Laura, I think living is change but getting ready for heart surgery concentrates one's focus as few other things may do so the changes are much more up front. During recovery, however, you gradually achieve a new normal that may be much better than the past. Keep your goal in mind that this is a process that restores your health and gives you a new future. If you have not read the article that Allison published, Laura, you might want to do so.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/a-diary-of-open-heart-surgery/story-fn6bn9st-1226058541539

Larry

sarahsunshine is correct. There is something about being a kid.

When I was 17 there was a coordinated effort on the part of the school and my church for support. I had many visitors. I still have the 100's of cards I received and the old dot matrix printout that was several feet long signed by 1/2 my school. Back then, there wasn't a coordinated cardiac rehab program available, but I had many volunteers from church come by and drive me to the local mall for my daily walks during the winter to make sure I wasn't walking alone around the neighborhood in December. My parents had to go back to work during my recovery.

Fast forward 18 plus years and I had a couple visitors at home and a couple family members at the hospital. My in-laws watched the kids so my wife could come up, but as my oldest was only eight and my other three were five, three, and a few months; respectively - we didn't really want the kids seeing me until I was feeling better and back home. I talked on the phone with them, but didn't have them up to the hospital.

I am curious as to why you have lost friends over this ??
Was it lifestyle changes on your part that they felt would be difficult for them to interact with you ?

You may be surprised at recovery time that they pop back up, some people do not handle certain conditions well and are just being shy about it.

How have you changed?

The biggest change for me was my perspective. I realized that a lot of things that used to annoy the heck out of me were tiny in the grand scheme of things, and to focus on the things that really matter, like doing the best you can to make the most of the extended life the operation gives you. If you can focus in on that, then any bumps in the road post-surgery are easier to get over. The challenge is to keep that fresh perspective as the scars disappear and you start to forget what things were like in the days leading up to and just after the surgery.

I just turned 40, I have a 3 year old, and I m scheduled for mitral valve repair on 2/28. I don't feel like I've lost friends because of this, but that could be because we had already grown apart as a result of me having a child. Initially, when my local surgeon/cardio sent me too UofMich, I was a basket case, but then I met my surgeon and he made me feel way better. Since then I feel like I've been relatively calm about the whole thing. I've had several "freak out" episodes, but they don't usually last too long. I think the biggest change in me is that I hug my baby a little tighter and a little longer and feel a lot more guilty about time spent away from her. I've become less of a work-a-holic and rarely pull out my laptop when I'm at home.

I see that you also have MVP with regurg...same here...what (if any) symptoms led you to decide now is the time for you? I have always thought I was asymptomatic, that my lack of energy was in response to getting older and having a toddler, but Dr. says I'm probably more symptomatic than I realize. That's one of the toughest parts for me...I've lived with this for my whole life...no restrictions, no major symptoms...and all of a sudden...surgery time. Really? You want me to let you cut me open and stop my heart when I feel fine? Hard one to swallow...

Hi Laura,
I turned 45 five days before my MV Replacement on Dec 22nd. I went through a whole range of emotions and changes prior to my surgery. Now I was born with major heart issues and had surgery at three months old and was not expected to make it. But I did. I never had any issues with my heart until I developed pnemonia in September and then it was a downward spiral from then on. I'm haven't lost any freinds but have always had a very tight circle to begin with. One thing I have noticed after the surgery is crying for no reason but my doctors say that is normal and should improve as I recover.

Having your family around is helpful as well as freinds and colleagues even just to speak with. Also watching funny movies and comedies has help me stay positive.

I never lost any GOOD friends...just fair weather friends. It's easy to tell the difference when you go through something like this.

Hi Laura.

I'm 25 and have surgery next month on the 23 and I'm still struggling on what to change with both before and after other than quitting smoking, which I stopped at the new year. Mentally I feel awoken to an extent, I feel I view things differently than I once did before being told I had to have surgery. I've been up and down emotionally with the fact that I have to get OHS, but I'd like to live, so I try and remain cool about the situation, not always easy.

I too have become a hermit crab, lost or am losing friends because I can't go to the bars every weekend and get hammered with them, which is sad alot of them are friends from grade school. They just don't understand what it's like to be in the situation that we are and are arrogant enough to not care ( in my case ). So I and many others know how you feel.

People on this site are nothing but great and if they're going to show compassion, concern and give me information than I'm honored to call them a friend, even if it's through the Internet, because I sure as hell know nobody will do it face to face for me.

I wish you nothing but a safe and speedy surgery/recovery. I highly recommend if you have any questions, even of you think they're dumb, you ask. That's what I've done, I'm fairly new here and ive learned alot from asking whatever is on my mind. It helps calm the nerves :)

I see that you also have MVP with regurg...same here...what (if any) symptoms led you to decide now is the time for you? I have always thought I was asymptomatic, that my lack of energy was in response to getting older and having a toddler, but Dr. says I'm probably more symptomatic than I realize. That's one of the toughest parts for me...I've lived with this for my whole life...no restrictions, no major symptoms...and all of a sudden...surgery time. Really? You want me to let you cut me open and stop my heart when I feel fine? Hard one to swallow...

I had the exact same reaction when my doctor told me it was time to see a surgeon, because I felt fine and thought that I was just getting winded because I was getting older. But my cardiologist said that I shouldn't wait another six months or the damage would be too severe for an easy repair. I ended up delaying things three and a half months from that point, and in the last month before surgery I was feeling symptoms. My normal walks became tougher, it was really difficult to hustle through airports with a roll aboard, and in the last few weeks it became hard to walk and talk at the same time. I couldn't tell if some of the other symptoms I sometimes felt were actually caused by my heart problems or were simply psychosomatic, since reading about the symptoms also brought them into the forefront of my mind. The one thing I know is that the shortness of breath that I had taken for granted during the last few months before the operation was gone when I woke up in the ICU.

The best moments in your recovery are going to be when you do something that was giving you problems leading up to surgery (even if you didn't recognize the symptoms) and you realize that you really are fixed. Just try to hold back your smile when that happens!

Het Boston tiger. Your last post really hit the mark. Thx. My Avr date is getting closer by the day (2-9-12-)& I'm still keeping busy. Havent heard from surgeons office. They re exactly great communicators. Is that normal although he's a great dr. So maybe that's better. Nit giponna marry him. Won't Ben date him. Lol. Thx again ! Nanc.

Het Boston tiger. Your last post really hit the mark. Thx. My Avr date is getting closer by the day (2-9-12-)& I'm still keeping busy. Havent heard from surgeons office. They re exactly great communicators. Is that normal although he's a great dr. So maybe that's better. Nit giponna marry him. Won't Ben date him. Lol. Thx again ! Nanc.

My surgeon was quiet busy saving lives on most days, so our contact with him was pretty much limited to the office visits. But he did a great job of communicating when we were sitting down with him. He let us know to use the resources for the cardiac center when he wasn't available. I think my wife had more contact with them than I did, since I eventually settled into acceptance mode once I was comfortable putting my life in my surgeon's hands.

I had the exact same reaction when my doctor told me it was time to see a surgeon, because I felt fine and thought that I was just getting winded because I was getting older. But my cardiologist said that I shouldn't wait another six months or the damage would be too severe for an easy repair. I ended up delaying things three and a half months from that point, and in the last month before surgery I was feeling symptoms. My normal walks became tougher, it was really difficult to hustle through airports with a roll aboard, and in the last few weeks it became hard to walk and talk at the same time. I couldn't tell if some of the other symptoms I sometimes felt were actually caused by my heart problems or were simply psychosomatic, since reading about the symptoms also brought them into the forefront of my mind. The one thing I know is that the shortness of breath that I had taken for granted during the last few months before the operation was gone when I woke up in the ICU.

The best moments in your recovery are going to be when you do something that was giving you problems leading up to surgery (even if you didn't recognize the symptoms) and you realize that you really are fixed. Just try to hold back your smile when that happens!

I think I've said this in a different thread, but I'll say it again...I want to be just like you! So far I'm seeing a lot of similarities. Did they give you an option regarding incision location? My surgeon will do a sternotomy or a thoracotomy, but I'm not sure how to decide. My biggest concern is pain because pain killers often make me sick. The nurse that I speak to on a regular basis assures me that they WILL find a pain med that works for me.

I had AVR 2 months ago and I have survived stage III metastatic Melanoma for almost 3 years now. I have changed a lot, especially in the area of compassion for others that are sick, but I still cry over spilled milk ;) I guess some things require more than just being sick to change. Some character flaws require strong acts of the will and God's help.

I'm new to the forum (Hello I am 42 yrs old and was born with a bicuspid Aortic valve -symptoms only manifested in 2009) and had AVR (mech) surgery on the 1st of November 2011. I was getting short of breath at any exertion and occasonally whilst sitting down prior to my surgery. I had 4 days notice for a cancellation on the NHS, so not really much time to worry about a set date sometime in the future. Before surgery I learnt to walk slowly, take deep breaths before walking up the stairs or lifting my kids (twins-just turned 1 in Dec). I felt like an old man, it did depress me quite a bit, especially in October as the symptoms were getting noticeably worse. Then the call for surgery and here I am, two months of really taking things easy and now I can lift my kids again and play with them. Muscle strain through two months lack of use is my main problem now, as I see things that is.
Wafarin 5mg per day plus the ACE inhibitor, blood pressure and beta blockers. The meds become a routine, I was on ACE and beta before surgery anyway. I found that I was quite calm the day before surgery and went to sleep that night with some meds that knocked me out cold, either that or they erased my memories. Post surgery I spent ten days in hospital-INR balancing issues and medication dosage alterations kept me from getting home earlier.
I think differently now. Perspective is most definitely the word here. My priorities have changed, I feel that I have been given a second chance at life. No greater gift IMHO. I don't want to waste any time on inconsequential (to my new way of thinking) things. Family and friends and positive creative pursuits are where it's at for me. I will be off work for another couple of months.

My lifespan isn't going to be shortened, I mean what would I have had, another five years? Zero quality of life as well.

Post surgery I have a new future, a positive one. I couldn't ask for better.

Lauratx22 - don't be afraid, the journey to a new life is worth what you have to endure to get there. ( The painkillers really help )

My experience is that some people do not know how to react to the news that a close friend is having a major surgery scheduled. They are not sure if they will be seen as too intrusive if they contacted you more often than usual. As a result some decide to stay away for a long time and you then lose touch with them even if it is unintentional.
In such cases, it is best to think of it is an opportunity to get a "new wardrobe" of friends. As far as relatives go, they stay with you for ever through thick and thin.

I think I've said this in a different thread, but I'll say it again...I want to be just like you! So far I'm seeing a lot of similarities. Did they give you an option regarding incision location? My surgeon will do a sternotomy or a thoracotomy, but I'm not sure how to decide. My biggest concern is pain because pain killers often make me sick. The nurse that I speak to on a regular basis assures me that they WILL find a pain med that works for me.

I was comfortable going with a mini-sternotomy after talking to my surgeon. If I had really wanted something else, he may have referred me to someone else at the Brigham who used throracotomy or the robotic procedure. The one thing that I vividly recall him saying to me was that recovery was going to be just as tough (although different in some ways) no matter which procedure was used, since open heart surgery is such a shock to your total system.

The nurses I had in ICU and on the cardiac ward were fantastic, and I can't say enough about them. If they know about your pain concerns beforehand, they will bend over backward to find something that will work for you. The bottom line is that it will be easier for them to get you back onto your feet (literally) in very short order if they keep you ahead of the pain.

Latest posts

Back