Can you take your coumudin with a meal, or should you wait 2 hours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunonwaves

Can you take your coumudin with a meal, or should you wait 2 hours?
I think i heard someone saying that having it with a meal can be dodgy..
Do you take yours with a meal or wait?
Thanks in advance! :) :cool:

As far as I know, you can take it anytime you wish. The important thing is to get in the habit of taking it at the same time each day...morn,noon or nite...before or after eating....etc. I have always taken mine in the AM.

The short course of coumadin I was on, I took it with dinner. You should try to take it about the same time daily.
No one of my health providers ever said to not take with food.

My pharmacy always puts a sticker on my Rx bottles giving instructions such as take this med with food or take one hour before any other med or food etc

I take mine around 5:00pm everyday with supper around 6:00.

I was never told when to take this med or how to take it (with or without food). I just stayed on the same routine that I was on while in the hospital, nor have I been questioned when I take it.

Keep in mind though, if you go to a clinic for your INR test (a.k.a. blood work) in the morning you should get your results within 3 hours, so if you take your normal dosage say around supper time and your INR results indicate your dosage needs adjusting you can do the adjusting the same day. (hope that makes sense)

I take my coumadin in the evening 1 hr before dinner or if dinner is later I wait 2 hr. after eating.

My pharmacist told me years ago to do it this way. He said there is some difference of opinion about coumadin and there are no warnings about it because it has not happened enough in studies to warrant but there have been cases of the pill going thouugh with the food. The same with my lanoxin.

His advice about medicine was that if it is a life a death medicine like heart meds and it there is no real yes or no then use the 1 hr before and 2 hr after rule. With life and death medicine always take the safe route unless there is absolute reason to take it with meals. Do not play guessing games about it. He was adament about it. So I listened to the pharmacist as he is one brilliant man and he is also a dr. now and I have done very well.

There is also something about taking it at night but can't remember what it was. I hadn't thought about it in awhile but i do know he had me on it in the evening. Same with the aspirin. And my lanoxin is a spit dose.
Maybe someone else on here knows about the evening reason. Or maybe it will come to me.

The evening thing may be that the metabolism usually slows down at night, so the medication may stay in the system longer (just a guess). I am consistent with my dosing - taking it before bed each night. That way, interactions with food (unless I have a bedtime snack) or changes in metabolic activities don't impact the way my body absorbs the dose. (Again -- it's probably a matter of being consistent -- if you take it at dinner, you should always take it at dinner, etc.)

Latest posts

Back