Can someone help me?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jessemac

I participated in a clinical trail and because of an abnormal EKG had a Echo cardiogram. The Doc for the study was not a Cardiologist but was very concerned with the results and wanted me to see a Cardiologist immediately. "Severe aortic regurgitation. Diastolic flow reversal in the descending aorta. left atrium severely dilated" I'm broke and no insurance can anyone tell me what this means?

You need to see a cardiologist for definitive answers. It might help your expenses if you get copies of your EKG and ECG and take them to the cardio. Your local health dept or physicians association may be able to refer you to someone who would work with you on costs. Good luck.

What kind of clinical trial did you participate in? Was it for new medication, or something like that?

Do you have reason to think the clinical trial was the cause of this?

Or did this come up in a routine examination given prior to the clinical trial?

We would need more details, please.

If the diagnosis is correct, you need to see a cardiologist right away. If you can't afford it, find an city or state agency that will help you get to one. Take your diagnosis with you. If there is no other choice, show up at the emergency room saying your chest hurts (it probably does). You need attention, and it should be done quickly.

Go get some kind of medical assistance. Don't take no for an answer. For that matter, see if the doctor in the study can point you to where there might be help.

Best wishes,

Hello Jesse,

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis You may want to start a new thread so that more people will see it and have an opportunity to respond. The regurgitation sounds like you very well may have a valvular problem. The blood can flow backward and leak through a faulty valve during the heart's relaxation phase. Hypertrophy can occur when the heart has to work harder due to the increased blood volume. If you haven't seen a cardiologist, that would be the first time to determine what will be necessary to fix the problem.

Joe

can someone help me

can someone help me

It was a weight loss study that focused on diet and exercise so no medication at fault. The Doc said I probably had this condition all my life but it was getting critical. I'm a pretty good weight now and only get some tightness in my chest and in my left shoulder and wrist when I climb a hill -also get breathless. I'll be 60 in June. Just wonder how critical this is. "Severe aortic regurgitation" I mean what's the outcome of waiting til I can get some kind of insurance?
Also what kind of valve should i request?

I agree with the others that the info you have posted indicates you should not wait. If you wait for conventional insurance, that might be a wait too long. Since you have a diagnosis, insurance companies may turn you down because of a "pre-existing condition." Do you have COBRA as a result of being between jobs? There is supposed to be something in the new "stimulus" package about the feds picking up (I think) 65 percent of the cost of that, or something like that. Since you're 60, check with a local agency on aging. They may have advice about how to get help.

Just wonder how critical this is. "Severe aortic regurgitation" I mean what's the outcome of waiting til I can get some kind of insurance?

I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it is going to sound, but one possible outcome is that you might die, especially if your heart is already starting to enlarge and weaken. Don't wait to follow up on this. I don't know if there are any hospitals in your area that specialize in caring for the uninsured, but if you are able to get to New Jersey, there is a hospital there called Deborah Heart and Lung Center, which will perform surgery on you even if you can't pay for it. My friend's husband had his mitral valve replaced there, and they never got a bill. It's definitely worth looking into. Best of luck to you.

http://www.deborah.org/

It would help to know which valve exhibits the severe regurgitation.

Aortic Valve issues tend to progress more quickly and can have catastrophic results if put off too long. (If you have an aortic problem, left untreated, you probably would not make it to medicare age, i.e. 65).

Mitral Valve issues tend to progress more slowly and don't usually result in 'sudden death'.

With a designation of "Severe", you need to be evaluated SOON. If the "Severe diagonsis" is correct, you will probably need to see a Surgeon as there isn't anything that a Cardiologist can do to FIX your problem. Cardiologists basically diagnose and refer Valve patients to surgeons.

The ER Route may well be your fastest route to receiving the medical attention that you need.

'AL Capshaw'

It would help to know which valve exhibits the severe regurgitation.

Aortic Valve issues tend to progress more quickly and can have catastrophic results if put off too long. (If you have an aortic problem, left untreated, you probably would not make it to medicare age, i.e. 65).

Mitral Valve issues tend to progress more slowly and don't usually result in 'sudden death'.

With a designation of "Severe", you need to be evaluated SOON. If the "Severe diagonsis" is correct, you will probably need to see a Surgeon as there isn't anything that a Cardiologist can do to FIX your problem. Cardiologists basically diagnose and refer Valve patients to surgeons.

The ER Route may well be your fastest route to receiving the medical attention that you need.

'AL Capshaw'

The first post says aortic

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation but I want to echo what others have said and hope you will get help with this soon. Severe regurgitation is not a good thing. There has to be some organization or hospital that will help you out.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Michelle

Latest posts

Back