Calling all my valver friends who had surgery before 30 yrs of age.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello,

I wanted to know how many people here have had a VR at age 30 or less. No offence to people above 30 but its just that it is funny to go through something so early in life and i want to know how people cope up with the active lifestyle college life. Is it all the same or is there a difference. Also the Pros and Cons post surgery. :)

Thanks.

Hi Amy. My docs began "hounding" me to have the surgery when I was 30.....while I was taking my college mid-terms(first semester senior year). Being married, with a couple of kids, had a lot more impact on lifestyle than pending OHS.

My biggest "PRO" is that I am still here....many years later.

My biggest "CON" is that I allowed post surgery "what ifs" to play too big a role in my life.

Hello,

Dick0236 You are one BIGGG inspiration and oodles of positivity to all of us. :) Thank you for your reply. :) Any crazy experiences Post Op? :p I would love to know about how you lived post OP. :)

Hello,
I would love to know about how you lived post OP. :)

I never had the internet or advice from a multitude of OHS survivors like ya'll do now.....so I pretty much made it up as I went. A doctor friend of mine once told me that I was one of the luckiest SOBs he'd ever met....given all the antics I've pulled post op and I certainly don't encourage others to follow my path.
While OHS cannot "cure" you but it will certainly "fix" you and allow for a nearly normal life and you can periodicaly push some of the limits......just don't do dumb things like running with scissors.

I had my first valve surgery at 9 and my next at 28. I played squash and did fencing in my teens and was a keen motorcycle rider (off and on road) After my valve became incompetent again in my late 20's I had to slow down till the surgery, but was back doing exersize (bicycle training) again within a few months and doing 40Km rides 3 nights a week (rain or shine, summer or winter) on my MTB by the end of a year.

I got drunk with my mates about once or twice a month, and generally acted as if there was nothing wrong.

This is how I still act now after my third op.

My attitude is (while not being reckless) WTF gotta die of something.

PS: reckless is a matter of opinion ... my mothers opinion was that wheelstands on my road bikes was somewhat reckless. <shrug/>
This represents about 1/3 of the bikes I've owned and flogged since the 1980's

Last edited:
Dick haha ummm i do have some crazy things in life to do but running with a scissor or juggling chainsaws or even trying any of the magicians trick is not in my list. Its just that i want to still drive the bike workout live the college life as we all at this age would want to. P.S i dont plan to marry soon so that should not be a worry on my list :p

Haahaha True that pellicle. I love the street racing too. I will continue to race but with a lot of safety gear on i guess. Kidding may be :p Is working out okay? Can u lift normal weights? any restrictions on that?

Can u lift normal weights? any restrictions on that?

No restrictions. See Gym Guy here. He's into power lifting. I just do regular stuff at the gym. I'm not in it for body building, but if I was there would be no restrictions. Still gonna hurt when you pinch a finger lifting a 20 onto the bar :)

AmyR, Age isn't a delineator when it comes to the question of "Any limitations?" Read around the posts. Most of us, after surgery, are doing as much if not more than we did before - even with some odd complications like my pacemaker. I'm still, at 65 years old, in the gym 5 days a week doing more than I was doing 5 or 8 years ago. I say. . . Go for it!

I was too old for this question, but what the heck. 34 isn't that old.

I just want to say that other than surgery and recovery, you will go on with life pretty much the same as the others your age. Yes, an extra Dr. appointment each year with your Cardio.

At 36, I started working out with the local HS wrestling team. I am a avid bicyclist i have 4 daughters and have been active with Native Sons and Daughters (Indian Princesses) as well.

Stay Well
Scott

My daughter is the patient and had her adult-sized mechanical valve implanted at the age of 10. She is a cheerleader, dancer, and swimmer. She participates in all gym activities, does a lot of jogging lately. She is only 13 so the adult lifestyle (alcohol, partying, etc) are not an issue yet. Luckily we are very open and I have explained to her that due to her condition/medication, she cannot just decide one day that she is going to get drunk at a party, smoke, or do all of the other adult activities teens like to experiment with. I told her once she is of age that there are safe ways to induldge in certain things, but she will need to have that conversation with her Dr and educate herself on how to do that.

She has a great attitude about her replacement; we look at her replacement as a blessing that she was able to be treated. Some people are not so lucky and she is grateful. I think that outlook makes any adjustment to her lifestyle easier to accept.

Thanks pellicle and epstns that really pumped me up. I will keep posting post surgery for the motivation .:)

Scott lol you aint old at all i just mentioned the under 30 expecting people in college to reply. It just that we under 30 are the funny hot blooded ( thats the excuse i give for my stupid mistakes :p) mutts who take things a bit to far. :p

Hannahsmom thats so nice :) Did she get the mechanical valve at that age? Tell her hello from our end. :)

AmyR,

Yes she went into surgery with the Ross Procedure being Plan A and the mechanical being Plan B. Her surgeon determined her pulmonary valve would not have held up very long as an aortic valve and ultimately decided to keep it where it was and gave her an adult-sized mechanical. She was lucky that she had grown enough to get the adult sized valve. God willing it will be her last!

I will tell her hello for you. One day I will introduce her to this forum. She knows I use it and talk to people, but I think it may be a bit much for her still.

Best wishes to you!! :)

AmyR, its what you make of it.
I'm as active as before surgery. Set new PRs and lifted more weights, ran same or longer, tossed more kettlebells, cut my hair just as short ;)

The only thing that changes is your outlook on life, it becomes better.

Hannahsmom I would pray that she never needs surgery. :) God Bless. :)
ejc61 Haha appreciate it. But yeah you all are serious motivation for me. :) I believe in people who exp things for reviews more than docs. :p

TheGymGuy oh man when its comes to working out you are the biggest motivation. I am not such a heavy lifter but yeah a 100lbs is the max i go. and i so hope it would b the same post surgery. :) Thank you for sharing your exp on this forum :)

Just a quick question for all. How long is it post surgery that you feel normal to do your everyday activities that you did before surgery?

In my surgery when I was 28 I was in surgery in Dec and riding my motorcycle to united to attend classes again in March

But then I'm a stubborn bastard

For Hannah getting out of the hospital and back to her own environment was the best medicine. She really progressed at a good pace after that (was in the hospital for 6 days). The first month after she definitely needed more rest, but she was back to school and dance classes at 6 weeks and hasn't slowed down since!

pellicle its better that way cause i guess you recover best with that attitude. :)

Hannahsmom thank you that was inspirational enough. If a little girl can do it i guess i should be able too as well. :p

Latest posts

Back