Calcium / Supplements=Calcification?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey Steve

What is the general consesus out there regarding taking calcium supplements and/or ingesting calcium from food sources AND the possibility that these may increase aortic valce calcification?

We were told what you eat or drink, plays no part in calcification of valves, conduits ect. It actually isn't calcium, the main part is apatite.

There is no science (studies) to indicate that calcium supplements will cause or increase valve calcification. It's not as simple as it may appear, because what we call calcification is really the deposition of apatite, which is a mix of calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals, and is what your body produces bones and teeth from, in various mxes. Theories about valve calcification sometimes include an abberation of the bone-building process to reflect that.

In a similar way, drugmakers wanted to believe that the calcification process was somehow associated with arteriosclerosis and the formation of atheromas (coronary artery disease). Made some sense, because they both grow inside arteries, right? Well, three enormous studies have verified that statins have no effect on the valve calcification process whatsoever. So, what seems to make sense, doesn't always.

If it could be shown by studies, it would have been. The first step toward a company finding a blockbuster new drug is to find a disease state that can be fixed.

So, go ahead and take your calcium tabs, if your doctor has said to, drink your milk, and take a Tums when you need it, too.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Calcium and Bioprosthetic valve

Calcium and Bioprosthetic valve

Yes, good question and certainly one that I had been wondering about myself with my new artificial valve (as I have a edwards perimount bioprosthetic bovine valve). I forgot to ask the surgeon this question when I had my last followup.

I did a quick search and interestingly enough, came up with some information on this topic on the Edwards Lifesciences Website regarding calcium and a bioprosthetic valve, but didn't find any information on calcium and a 'native' valve
http://www.edwards.com/products/aorticrisk.htm?magnaease=1

The following excerpt comes from the web page on Important Risk Information for Aortic Bioprosthesis with Warnings:

"In the presence of conditions affecting calcium metabolism or when calcium containing chronic drug therapies is used, alternative therapies should be considered. This includes children, adolescents, young adults, patients on a high calcium diet or who are on maintenance hemodialysis."

So...not sure if this is new information and if it is there for 'legal' purposes to cover the one in a million chance of there being some impact of using calcium with a bioprosthetic valve . I personally haven't read any studies on calcium use and bioprosthetic this topic. So...not sure what to do with this information for those of us who have implanted bioprosthetic valves. Any thoughts?

I have a porcine valve. I have osteopina, and OSTEOPOROSIS. I take calcium, (daily) and BONIVA ( monthly) The osteoporosis is in the lower back, and I already have a bone spur condition, that is causing a pinched nerve in my back. I MUST take these supplements. I am also taking
5mg of prednisone daily,which aggravates the condition. I asked my cardio if the calcium would cause any problems. His answer was NO. It would make no difference to the valve. I also have looked on line for informational studies, and cannot find any.

The tissue valve companies all used to have statements advising not to use calcium additives at all, just to cover their behinds. The FDA made them remove them, because there is no evidence to support the statement, and people like Kathy were avoiding their calcium spplements to their great personal detriment.

The statement on the Edwards site sticks to cases where calcium metabolism is disturbed or the person's intake is abnormally high. My guess is that will be taken off the site again as soon as the FDA gets around to reviewing it again.

There has been no evidence shown that free blood calcium levels, high or low, affect the beginning or rate of calcification. It's the signal to build up the apatite that is the key, not the availability of the raw materials.

Best wishes,

Thank you Tobagoto and Kathy for the clarification and for putting my mind at ease re: calcium and biosprosthetic valves.

As always, appreciate your well informed replies, Bob H .

I can now go and drink my glass of milk. ;)

Thank you Bob H. I am definitely going to be a good girl and regularly take my calcium supplements!

The way I intended to word that was "people with problems like Kathy's," not "people like Kathy." My fingers don't type as quickly as what's left of my brain can rattle on. Sometimes they skip a few words trying to catch up, and leave out important distinctions. You don't strike me as someone who can be easily buffaloed into not doing what you think is right.

Be well,

I just had my annual check-up and at 40 did have an increase in calcification in one aortic valve leaftlet. From here, I understand that milk etc.. (I drink 3 or 4 glases a day, with oatmeal or cereal) does not increase valve calcification. Is there anything that is known to reduce valve calcification or slow it down?

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Rick,

My understanding is that the preliminary trials of 'statin' use to slow down decalcification weren't as promising as they had hoped it would be.

I think Tobago had a post on the results of these studies not too long ago. You could probably find it if you do a search.

Another question: Do mechanical valves get calcified?
I was informed that the leaflets of a malformed valve get calcified due to the blood turbulence at the point (due to stenosis). I suspect that nothing artificial can replace nature so since mechanical valves also come with two "leaflets" then shouldn't become calcified. Calcification is also possible on metals, etc.

Another question: Do mechanical valves get calcified?
I was informed that the leaflets of a malformed valve get calcified due to the blood turbulence at the point (due to stenosis). I suspect that nothing artificial can replace nature so since mechanical valves also come with two "leaflets" then shouldn't become calcified. Calcification is also possible on metals, etc.

No. There can be pannus growth or tissue, but not calcium. About the only thing that can grow on the valve is pannus, clots or infection.

Latest posts

Back