Bumpity Bump

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGeezerWNC

I just added a bunch of stuff below this first entry. I also found a picture of the femostop, not femstop like I've been calling it. I'll add that picture to my cp pictures right now. Friday New Years Day, 9:10 am

Well, I figured I'd do a small note. I was re-admitted on Christmas Day and got out this last Sunday. The leg they did the cath on 10 days earlier got twice the size of the other. It's also black and blue. During this stay they took the wound pump off and just allowed it to drain. Mainly because the wound tech on call wasn't answering his pages. Two of the PA's came in and tried putting the wound pump back on and then finally the nurse came in Sunday at 11am. She took off the botched wound vac suction hose. Then the charge nurse laid out a big bunch of gauze, sterile pads and tape. They put a wet/dry shield on and then discharged me. The nurse told me on the way out to call the home health people as soon as I got home and they'd come out and put the wound vac back on. But when we got home and called. The Pa's had already called and said I didn't need it and not to put it on until Monday AM during the regular home visit. The home nurse had to follow their directions. So we changed out dressings 4 times because they were soaked. I'm back on the pump now. Folks make sure they use a femstop when doing the pre surg cath. My valve is fantastic 14 days out from the surgery, better color, better breath. But I'm beaten black and blue and walking with a walker because of the fingernail sized opening for the cath, that bled because a simple roll of gauze was used to stop the bleeding. I'll post a few pixs on my profile page but not here. That way you have to want to go see them and not just have them pop up. Thanks for prayers I've need them. Rick the Old Geezer of the Smokies. USE A FEMSTOP!!!!!!!

adding: Thanks folks, what they call a femstop here is a femoral stop. It's a yoke looking thing that goes between the legs up high where the cath is. It has a bridge between two 1/2 pipes that the legs fit into.It has a wide strap attached to it that then passes around the legs pulling them together and tight against the inner walls of the stop. On the inner wall of one of the 1/2 pipes is a hard plastic bladder. This is the side that is against the wound from the cath. Once it's all in place, there is a cuff bulb that is pumped like the bp cuff. It pressurizes the bladder next to the wound and keeps pressure on for 3-4 hours giving the boo boo time to heal. Never had a problem with the other 5 caths when they used it. It don't feel so great, but I'm now 14 days past so I wish they'd used it and not the gauze roll. Hope this helps ya'll unnner stand what the old bill hilly was talking about. Thanks my friends, you have meant a lot to me. Rick

In the picture you will see a black thing with a tube. That's the wound vacuum. pump is on my walker. Smile Folks!!! Happy New Year and I'm still here!!!!!

OldGeezer:

Good luck with your black-and-blue leg!

I don't remember any problems like that with my surgery. However, John developed lymphedema. He had a right thoracotomy, and the catheterization in his left leg (I think it was his left) hit some lymph nodes. gtt99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.7w
(Sorry. Got up to dish up my oatmeal and Aubrey, our 10YO rescue Persian, took up residence on my laptop :rolleyes:.)

John's leg was swollen for probably 2 months. He slept with it a little elevated, rested with it elevated. Lasix does not work for lymphedema. You just give it time.

Even though John's leg was not red, hot or painful, our PCP wanted to rule out a DVT and ordered ultrasound on the leg to insure that nothing else was going on in addition to the lymphedema.

Rick, I'm sure sorry to read the continuing difficulties you've been going through but very glad to hear how well you are feeling otherwise.

If Femstop is a plug, I hope it will be some comfort to you that my doctors said they couldn't use a plug in my femoral after the cath because my OHS was going to soon follow. But, I did have to lay flat for at least 7-8 hours after the cath with a heavy weight on my leg.

Best wishes for your continued improvement :) .

I'm sorry to hear you are still going thru so much with this leg wound. We had to do the wet to dry dressings on Justin's first OHS incision when he was about 5 weeks old (the incisions started under his armpit and went around his back almost to his spine) and I will NEVER forget how painful it was when we had to rip the dry dressings out, so I can imagine what you were going thru. It was one of the very few times Justin realy cried out of all the things he's been thru. I will pray that you ARE on the way to realy recoverring from this and each day gets better.
I'm curious, are you diabetic? Do they have any idea why this happened? So IF you ever need a cath again this won't happen? Justin's had about 15 caths and hasn't had a femstop or any plugs, just manual pressure and laying for hours, but I have also heard of people that had problems BECAUSE of the Femstops or plug types of seals, (permament nerve or tissue damage when you google a few of the articles mentions many lawsuits) I was wonderring if anyone read any studies, besides company ones about which way works best? I know the downside of manual pressure is the amount of time laying and some hospitals that mainly use manual, will use a femstop IF a patients is having bleeding problems, but wonder which way really is the safest way, with lowest complications

Rick, I'm so sorry you're in this mess. It's great that your valve is working so well but it would be nice if the rest of you was as well. It sounds like what you have will probably take some time to heal. If it is from bleeding at the site then it will go away in one of two ways....by draining it from the actual site or by the body slowly absorbing it. If it is by the later then your leg will go through the usual phases, blue, purple, reddish, brown, and yellow. The rest of you may look a little jaundiced during this as well.

If it is edema from lymph then it may take even longer. One of my best friends is dealing with that following a node biopsy done during cancer surgery. Either way you are going to have to rest and elevate it to speed the process. What you are going through is definitely not a frequent problem and I think it could have been avoided if better care had been given you. We don't want anything to happen to our old geezer!

hey Geezer!!!

Not sure if I had the fem stop or not, put I had a plug that slowly disolved. I only had to lay flat and still for 2 hours before discharge. No problems, no bleeding. Finger nail size hole with gauze stuck it it? Sorry, but something doesn't sound right. Actually this whole post care sounds very strange. Good luck, and hang in. Happy New Year, glad to hear the valve is working good, mine is to.

later,
Mac
AVR, SINGLE BY-PASS, 11/19/09
Carbo medics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

Sorry you're going through all this. I hope you got in a few good hours at home Christmas, since that was your goal.

I didn't have a plug for my cath. The cardiologist said the plug fails about one in every 400. Your experience, though it doesn't seem typical from all the cath reports here, seems to be an argument against the 'cath one day, valve surgery the next' schedule.

I hope that is your only bump and that from now on you have a smooth recovery and enjoy your new heartbeat!

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear that cath is still haunting you. I hope your legs are back down to size and you're feeling better soon!

Thanks folks, what they call a femstop here is a femoral stop. It's a yoke looking thing that goes between the legs up high where the cath is. It has a bridge between two 1/2 pipes that the legs fit into.It has a wide strap attached to it that then passes around the legs pulling them together and tight against the inner walls of the stop. On the inner wall of one of the 1/2 pipes is a hard plastic bladder. This is the side that is against the wound from the cath. Once it's all in place, there is a cuff bulb that is pumped like the bp cuff. It pressurizes the bladder next to the wound and keeps pressure on for 3-4 hours giving the boo boo time to heal. Never had a problem with the other 5 caths when they used it. It don't feel so great, but I'm now 14 days past so I wish they'd used it and not the gauze roll. Hope this helps ya'll unnner stand what the old bill hilly was talking about. Thanks my friends, you have meant a lot to me. Rick

Sounds like a torture device, I can see why you hated them. I was looking at your pictures, the black rubber looking thing from the pump, is that a new incision, or did they go in for our cath that far down your leg?

Latest posts

Back