Breathing tube

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KMS said:
Kim -

Based on all the good information I got from this site prior to surgery, I don't remember my breathing tube.

The morning of my surgery, when I talked to the anesthesia fellow (first) and the anesthesiologist (next), I told them that the tube was my greatest concern. My exact words: "I hope to be as drugged as possible for the first 24 hours. I do not want to remember the breathing tube at all. I'm also anxious this morning and would like you to start my IV -- and take the edge off -- as soon as possible." They said they would do their best and they did. They started my IV soon after that and I immediately relaxed. I barely remember my husband kissing me as they got ready to wheel me out of the pre-op area.

I have no memory of the tube later that day. I have very foggy images of that first 12 hours after my surgery: ice chips, my husband, my nurse in the ICU. And then I was on that beautiful road to recovery.

I had a great experience because I was prepared and in a very positive state of mind. This site prepared me with the information I really needed.

You'll do just fine, Kim. All of us will be sending you good vibes that morning.

Kristine

Amazing!! This is exactly my experience!! To the letter!! Having read all this I wonder if personality might enter into it some. Those who are more focused on it, more curious about what is going on with their bodies....might experience it more. I went in with complete blind faith....happy as a clam to be getting a new valve....joking with the anesthesiologist.....feeling the cool air of the OR heading in. Smiling all the way. Just relaxed and let go. Didn't give a hoot about any of it.....just wanted to see my husband and daughter smiling down at me, and that is just about my only memory of ICU.

Telling them ahead of time really helps, too, of course!! Try to make an opportunity to, even if they do not ask you.

Hope I've caught you before you leave......wishing you the very best. You can copy-cat me, okay?? I was short and easy and textbook!! You'll be great!

Best wishes!

Marguerite

tobagotwo said:
Tubey or not to be. Those are your choices. Tubey is your friend.

Like I said, I was very concerned about it going in.

But I actually was intrigued by it when I woke up, because I immediately recognized what it was. I couldn't hear the machine, so I couldn't time my own breathing to it (you can't breathe against it), but it was neat not having to breathe. You don't get that opportuinity often in life.

I liked the tubey or not to be, pretty funny and true,
everytime i read something about relax and let the tubey breth for you, i think of the simpson episode where homer is staying in a nursing home and really like not doing anything and then got jealous because his roomate had a vent and it wasn't fair "HE" had to breath on his own :) Lyn

Piece of cake, just keep telling yourself that if you have to worry about the tube, you made it thru the surgery! I vaguely remember once or twice trying to say "Help" but couldn't...then a nurse realized I was awake and calmed me...then they drugged me again...I do remember waking as they were taking it out. Nothing too it. I am a very big 6'4" Anxious "Baby" and I survived it just fine....You will too Kim! Like I said, just tell yourself...."Breathing tube? Surgeries over! I made it!" You won't remember much about it and you'll be back here telling us your story of your "Tube" Peace be with you thru your Pre and Post Surgery Kim!

JohnnyV;)

I've been around here for over 2 and a half years and I concur that the tube seems to be the #1 concern for most patients that have never experienced it before (myself included). Like many others the tube turned out to be a non issue for me. I did wake up with it, but kept drifting back off into la la land. They actually had to wake me up to tell me they were ready to remove it. Having it removed was a piece of cake...a few seconds of unpleasantness followed by instant relief (same as when the chest tubes came out).

Tubey or not to be

Tubey or not to be

tobagotwo said:
Tubey or not to be. Those are your choices. Tubey is your friend.

PUN ALERT! PUN ALERT! Yikes, "tubey or not to be"!!! Move over, Will Shakespeare! :p

Not only can tobagotwo write about complicated matters of the heart in a clear and compelling way that puts the conveyors of Medspeak to shame, he is an accomplished punster!

And the thing is, "tubey or not to be" is exactly right. Mr. Tubey is our friend -- a Lifesaver without the flavor. :)

marilyn

marilyn

I am new,and I am not sure if I am posting correctly. I have been told that I need bypass surgery, plus the aortic valve done at the same time. Is there anyone that has had both done at once? I appreciate hearing about the breathing tube. Someone told me that is is awful. Also I was told that I would be in surgery for many hours doing both. I am really concerned doing this surgery. I see a surgeon next week. I hope that I can put this off for a while. It is hard for me to know which is giving me symptoms.

Liz said:
Hi Kim -
I was worried about the breathing tube too, and I was really freaking out about the thought of my hands being tied down. By the time I was awake enough to know what was what, my hands were no longer restrained. And the breathing tube didn't really bother me. It felt a little weird but I was still very relaxed from the anesthesia. I had expected that it would come out pretty rapidly once I was awake, but for whatever reason it actually was in for several more hours (maybe because I woke up really fast - about 10 minutes after getting to the ICU). Thinking about it now makes me want to gag, but at the time it really wasn't a problem, I hope it is the same for you.

I was worried about not being able to communicate with the breathing tube in. But since my hands weren't restrained, I was able to communicate with gestures and writing messages on a pad of paper. Maybe work out ahead of time a signal with your family so they know if you want to write a message (and have paper and pen available).

I like what Nancy said about the breathing tube being your friend, quietly keeping you alive until you can breathe on your own. Maybe you could do some visualizations now or find some words that help that you could memorize now (or write down for somebody to read to you) about feeling calm and relaxed. Kind of program yourself to be accepting of the breathing tube for as long as your body needs it. My daughter is great at coming up with nicknames for things, maybe you could call the tube 'Tuby' or something else fun that would make it seem friendlier and less threatening.

Something I asked my husband to do was to keep reminding me that I just needed to get through one minute at a time. One of my biggest fears was of feeling overwhelmed by how awful things were and that I wouldn't be able to tolerate it for long periods of time. Breaking it down to just getting through the minutes really helped me (and continues to help me) over the rough spots, although fortunately there haven't been too many.

It is so natural to have general and specific fears about what you are facing - it's great that you can articulate your fear and ask for help with it. You are going to do great! And we'll be with you in spirit every step of the way.

Love,
Liz

Hi, Marilyn! You're posting just fine. Welcome to vr.com.

Yes, both will be done at during the same surgery. I'm guessing it would be hard to separate your symptoms, as both are limiting your cardiac function.

If you need the surgery you need it - one thing about valves - once they start to deteriorate, the worse they get, the faster they get worse. It's preferable to have surgery before your heart is damaged.

I suspect the surgery will take a while. Mine took 8.5 hours - frankly, I suspect it didn't seem any longer to me than a 2 hour surgery. Go to sleep, wake up - nothing in between.

I had no problem with "Tubey" - I remember having it removed - not a pleasant memory, but it was quick. Funnily enough, I don't remember having it in.

I know how scared you are - we've all been there. We are a very supportive bunch. We'll help you get through this if you'll let us.

My expierence was a little backwards I guess.
I didn't worry about the breathing tube going into surgery. I sure worried coming out.
My family remembers me fighting it before I remember fighting. I remember the ICU nurse telling me each time my O2 level came up. I waited rather impatiently for it to get up high enough.
In hindsight, if I had thought about it before I think I would of handled it better. I hadn't started reading things like this forum until about 2 years after my AVR. Believe me, it was my loss. Ask all the questions you can possibly think of. I know it would of helped me. Doctors are wonderful people, but if they haven't been thru it, they might not give all the best answers.
Greg

PS
It didn't hurt when it was pulled out, in fact it was a real relief. If they ask, don't have it secured to your lip with a clamp...... That takes a few days to heal .

Breathing Tube

Breathing Tube

Okay...so all I remeber is waking up the morning after surgery and seeing my mom and a curtain with the same pattern as the one in the holding room. So I actually didn't know if I had surgery yet -- kinda weird, I know! So I looked at my mom and tried to talk. Well, I couldn't so I was trying to mouth the word "Blackberry" cuz then I could type my thoughts. So she's all, "cat?" "dog?". So then I finally just rolled my eyes and went back to sleep. So my mom said right after I laid my head down, I started to gag and I actually barfed. Then she was freaking out because the nurse had left the room and she thought I was going to choke. Lime green barf -- cool if ya ask me!! LoL! So...it wasn't such a bad experience for me, just kinda weird since I didn't actually know if I was trying to talk, or if I just couldn't. And I had more to worry about before surgery. Like not being able to take a shower, and the Dr. seeing my chest (yikes! :eek: ) and another tube.....I like to call it, the pee tube!! That one was weird!! But, yeah....as you can see, I was worried about more important things!! :)

Marilyn,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, having bypass surgery the same time as the valve replacement is quite common. I didn't have to have the bypass but I'm sure others will come along who did. I'm sure you're concerned, but ask a lot of questions. This is a great community.

Marilyn,

I've not had a bypass, but I had a valve replacement back in April. Look at it this way Dr. do a lot of by passes and valve replacement every year. So your getting a 2 for 1 deal!!! The breathing tube I will say was the worst thing about the hole deal for me. But, it was not so bad that I regreated having the OHS. I'm now almost 4 months out and let me tell you the pay-off is worth every thing and more that I had to go through! Good luck, I hope I helped, and Welcome to VR.com. My God bless you as much as he has blessed me

You may be fortunate enough to wake up without the breathing tube. I woke up in ICU and wondered aloud where the breathing tube was. It was taken out while I was still in the OR. Prepare for it anyway, and it looks like you've got lots of good feedback here. Good luck on your surgery--I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

Debi (debster913)

My experience with intubation/early extubation

My experience with intubation/early extubation

I think it helps those who are going into surgery for the first time to hear about our experiences.

My first surgery was in 1981, and I was 25. I was told not to "fight" the breathing tube, and I didn't. The first 24 hours were just fine, but going into the second day of intubation, my breathing passages started to feel.... annoyed, then desperate, I guess you'd say. At that point, I knew the doctors were leaving the breathing tube in too long for me. I was absolutely certain I was ready to breathe on my own, but at that time, they kept patients intubated a minimum of 48 hours after the surgery - no exceptions.

Well, once I started getting the uncomfortable feeling that staying intubated was not in my best interest, (that is, an overwheming urge to try to breathe against the tube,) I began to gesture emphatically to the nurses and my cardiologist every time they came by. Finally, someone took me seriously enough to take a moment to measure my breathing capacity, although I could tell that the doctor doing the test did not believe it was time to take out my breathing tube. (It was maybe 28 hours after surgery.) The test showed that I was easily able to breathe on my own; as a matter of fact, the resident who was reluctantly measuring my breathing shouted "wow!" At that point, someone came in immediately and got the tube out. (Which is not bad, guys... just cough when they tell you to, and it's done.) The moment the tube was out, I gave them all hell! I told them flatly that they had almost left the tube in too long, and they laughed at me!!!!

My re-replacement was 16 years later. In my pre-op work-up, I was told that I might be a candidate for "early extubation." The doctor went on to explain that they had discovered that leaving the breathing tube in for too long could cause an onset of pneumonia." (No kidding!!!)

Now, don't panic about pneumonia. Here's what I think: It seems to me that as long as your body "needs" the breathing tube, it's easy not to fight it. (And of course, as you receive your meds, you rest easy. They will keep you comfortable while you're intubated.) When you come around to being able to breathe on your own, it might get a little harder to maintain your good attitude about being intubated because your body's respiratory system wants to get back to business. By the time you reach that point, if not before, your tube should be history.

I don't know how they decide when the tube comes out nowadays, but it's easy enough to ask your doctor. Also, it sounds like there might be a trend towards extubating while the patient is "asleep." That is a good thing!

Although I'm sure early extubation is not for everyone, it's important to discuss this post-op phase with your doctor before your surgery, and ask every question you have about being intubated and extubated. Mental preparation helps you visualize how to respond to the tube when you come out from under the anesthesia, (at least it did me,) and then you'll realize it really isn't that bad; just "inconvenient," as my Daddy said after his valve replacement.

(by the way, my Dad's first valve replacement was at age 61. He had smoked all his life, but they were able to take his breathing tube out early, too. Daddy says that Dr. Pacifico at UAB did something extra during that surgery that cured him of smoking.... his last cigarette was in November 1995. I always heard that Dr. Pacifico was a genius!)

Latest posts

Back