Booked For Second Consult with the Surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My consultation with the Surgeon in July left me with a few questions regarding my pulmonary valve situation. i.e. if it is not repaired during this surgery, how long before it will need to be replaced? Would it have to be another OHS or would it be via catheter? Would/should this impact my aortic valve choice?

I spoke with the surgeon's nurse the other day to confirm my CT angio and told her that I still had a few questions. To my surprise, she booked me in for a few minutes to speak with the surgeon (in a few weeks). I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised as I know this man is extremely busy and at the same time am feeling a little guilty about going back a second time and not wanting to appear too pushy.
They gave me an hour of their time for the last consult. :eek:On speaking with family and friends about this, most of them were shocked that I got in for a 'second' consult with the same person and said this is rather unusual.

Just wondering if anyone else has met the surgeon more than once for a second consult with an already scheduled surgery date?

As I don't want to waste his time, is there any other specific question other than the two above that I should be asking? We have already discussed aortic valve choices.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited:
Your not being to pushy.It is natural to have more questions.We are laymen and dont go through this everyday.Remember the dr. works for you.You are paying him.It is part of his job to answer all your questions.

Pushy? You? Don't be silly.....:)
This is your body, your life, and you need to be comfortable with what you are doing.
I also saw my surgeon a second time and I'm glad that I did.

I loved my surgeon. I was hospitalized for a week prior to surgery - tests, anticoagulation, etc. 'cause I was sudden onset/deathly ill/just diagnosed.

He came to see me several times to answer questions. And he saw me every day post op until discharge, too. Bless his heart. And he was chief of cardiothoracic, too, and handling heart transplants.

And I met almost every cardiologist in my cardio's practice group, too.

Sounds like you got one with good patient rapport, and a decent staff, to boot.

Your not being to pushy.It is natural to have more questions.We are laymen and dont go through this everyday.Remember the dr. works for you.You are paying him.It is part of his job to answer all your questions.

Not pushy at all. If you were pushy, his nurse/clerk would not have given you another appointment. He seems to be good surgeon who cares for his patients and wants them to be at peace.

Good luck. Will write again once I have more questions for you to ask.:)

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback re: second consult! It makes me feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one with this experience. :)

You are correct AgilityDog, I do have a great surgeon who is very supportive of his patients along with competent staff. Thank Goodness! Now, I hope I remember to ask all the appropriate questions!

Hi Ottawagal,
I think that maybe you are just used to that cardiologist who didn't have any people skills. It seems that at first patients here go through the gauntlet with doctors suspecting the person is faking it, or they're not a serious case. Now that you are booked for surgery you are in the inner circle where everyone treats you with care and respect. That was my experience anyways.
I'm glad you have such a great surgeon and I hope he answers your questions. Make a list! You have been right so far about your condition and soon this will all be behind you.

Take care,

Dale x

Just want to wish you well with the 2nd consult with your surgeon. When in doubt, ask. Afterall, it is about you & your body & you are about to face a very serious surgery & want your mind free of any doubts!

I think you have a wonderful & caring surgeon & that is a sure plus!! :)

I think it's great you are going in for a second consult, and a high-five to that nurse for being kind enough to book you in for one.
It's your health here, and I don't think anyone can be too pushy when it comes to that. Though maybe it's our Canadian-ness that makes us think we're being too pushy, since I often shy away from asking too many questions for that very reason!

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back