Bicuspid valve / mitral valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

I have had the aortic valve replaced and bypass. I am now told the bicuspid valve is moderate severe 2009 also the mitral valve is moderate severe. I have developed symptoms such as fullness in the chest or short of breath / lightheaded and sometimes fatigue with it. The cardio recently did an echo which I do not know the results yet. What symptoms would a bicuspid valve and mitral valve cause.
I recently read the Cleveland Clinic Heart Advisor, and it said they were not waiting for patients to get symptoms with the mitral valve. I also went on their chat line with the doctor that was chatting about the mitral valve. He said that I needed to seek out an expert. I also told him that I had bypass valve / a stent last year and 3 stents in July of this year. He said the advice would be different for someone as myself, because the problem interconnects with the heart.

When my mitral valve went wonky, I had a squeezing (fullness?) feeling in my chest, short of breath, fatigue, and edema in hands and feet.

Bi-Cuspid is generally used as an adjacetive to describe a type of valve
and is NOT the actual Name of any of the Heart Valves.

The 4 Heart Valves are named Aortic, Mitral, Pulmonary, and TRI-Cuspid.

The Mitral Valve is (almost?) always a Bi-Cuspid Valve (i.e. has 2 leaflets).

A small percertage of people are born with a Bi-Cuspid Aortic Valve which can often lead to Heart Valve Issues 'later in life'.
Some people live their whole lives with a Bi-Cuspid Aortic Valve, often never even knowing that fact which is sometimes discovered if they have an autopsy.

I'm *guessing* that you are refering to your Mitral Valve.
Your Echocardiogram Report should clarify which valve(s) have what conditions.
If you don't have copies of your Echocardiograp Reports, I encourage you to obtain them from the facility that performed the test(s).

It is always wise to select a Surgeon who has considerable Experience performing the procedure YOU will need,
especially for 're-do's' which naturally involve dealing with scar tissue from the prior surgery/surgeries. I would expect The Surgeons at Cleveland Clinic to have considerable experience with 're-do's', at least the Senior Surgeons who have been around for awhile.

'AL Capshaw'

AS Al said, Bicuspid is not the name of a valve. Do you mean you are having problems with both your Tricuspid and Mitral valves? There aren't that many people here that have had their tricuspid valve replaced, but there are a couple.
Since you already had your Aortic valve replaced as well as bypass and stents, and now are having problems with your other valves, I think it would be hard to tell what symptons are being cause by which issues.
You really should be going to one of the larger centers, like Mayo or Cleveland to get their opinions. Where do you live?

I am not sure if the cardio said Tri cuspid or Bi cuspid now. I see on the 16th, and I will be sure to find out. I would like to come back on line and ask for more information. How can I ask certain people on the site? I know the mitral valve was moderate 2009.

To talk to 1 person, you would have to private message (PM), or email them. To PM someone click on their name and there is a link to PM them.

I am not sure if the cardio said Tri cuspid or Bi cuspid now. I see on the 16th, and I will be sure to find out. I would like to come back on line and ask for more information. How can I ask certain people on the site? I know the mitral valve was moderate 2009.

I don't know if this helps, but I looked at your older posts and you mentoined problems with your Tricuspid valve before, here is one of the threads http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...t-tricuspid-valve-and-mitral-valve&highlight=

Latest posts

Back